cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opening Vent In Summer

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
Since heat rises, would it be a good idea to open the vent a little to let heat out while running the air?
Thanks for any and all comments!
11 REPLIES 11

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
bshpilot wrote:
we keep foil backed dbl bubble insulation AND the "lambs" wool pillows in our vents during the summer to keep the heat OUT !

Not totally related but...I replaced a couple of broken vent covers with smoked ones because I thought they would look nice. Not a good idea. It feels like you're standing under a heat lamp when they're closed.

On the original subject - I would keep them closed for all of the reasons previously stated. If it's been baking in the sun all day with no A/C, I do open the doors and windows briefly when I first start up the A/C to get the super-heated air out.

I recently had to replace the lift motor on one of my thermostatically controlled fan static vents - when i called to order the parts i discovered that the COVER had a lifetime warranty....

if theyre fractured or cloudy - they will apparently ship you new ones for the cost of shipping.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
we keep foil backed dbl bubble insulation AND the "lambs" wool pillows in our vents during the summer to keep the heat OUT !

Not totally related but...I replaced a couple of broken vent covers with smoked ones because I thought they would look nice. Not a good idea. It feels like you're standing under a heat lamp when they're closed.

On the original subject - I would keep them closed for all of the reasons previously stated. If it's been baking in the sun all day with no A/C, I do open the doors and windows briefly when I first start up the A/C to get the super-heated air out.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
We see wasteful people in parks with their air running and doors and windows open. Never understood that.

Pogoil.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Just remember that any air that goes out the vent has to be replaced by warm outside air coming in from somewhere to replace it. I don't think in general the outside air coming in would be cooler than the air going out.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
When in a campground etc. I often do just what you suggested for the reason you offered. I find it helps make the temperature more uniform throughout the RV with the AC on and one roof vent slightly open (no fan running though).

Ed Headington

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
When in transit, I keep the vent open and the dash air keeps the interior comfy. No need to run the roof airs.

We did the same in our Class C. The bathroom vent..
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
When in transit, I keep the vent open and the dash air keeps the interior comfy. No need to run the roof airs.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the previous two posters. Always use your A/C as early in the day as possible to help keep your coach cooler in the afternoon.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only for a couple minutes.....it you have a vent fan that blows out.

Just a vent......A/C unit sucks air from inside rig at the ceiling return. It will just pull outside air in defeating what you are trying to do....cool the inside of RV down.

Didn't your Mama ever yell at you "Close the door, what do you think we are trying to do.......cool the neighborhood off?" :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can run a fan for a few minutes to suck out the hottest air. After that, close it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman