cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion: 2013 Monaco LaPalma 32SBD

khaliss
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to upgrade into a new 2013 Monaco LaPalma 32SBD and trading in our existing ClassC.
Link here

Test drove it last night, very impressed. Afraid to pull the trigger due to cost (although we are getting a really decent deal) and the fact that we only RV like 5-6 times a year. If we were full time RVers, this would be a no-brainer haha.

Anyone have this motor coach? What do you guys think of Monaco as a brand? Need opinions on this rig, as far the good/bad, resale value, etc. Sorry, I'm relatively an RV newbie.
Vacation House on-wheels
2013 Monaco LaPalma 32SBD
acquired brand-new 7/2/13 :W
---d'RIG---
23 REPLIES 23

Cloots6
Explorer
Explorer
Curious what your class C was. I currently own a class C and am looking at a Lapalma 32SBD as well. I'd like to hear more about your experience with the Lapalma. Thanks.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
jamesa403 wrote:
I would like to point out a couple of things. First, the ad for the new Monaco says "gas pusher", meaning the engine is in the rear. It's not in the rear, which should have been noticeable to you when you drove it. Secondly, we have a 2007 Monaco LaPalma, which broke down when we were in the Yukon. Ours was one of the last Monaco's built by the old Monaco that went bankrupt. When Navistar took over Monaco, somehow they didn't do much about parts, and when we needed a part in the Yukon, we couldn't get the part from Monaco, but had to go back to the part supplier, who had to make a new part because they didn't make that part anymore. Net result was the motorhome stayed in the Yukon for 5 weeks while the new part was manufactured, while we drove back to Cambridge in our toad (4000 miles), then 5 weeks later flew back to Whitehorse to drive the MH back. Needless to say I am less than impressed with Navistar`s concern for old Monaco customers

Funny that it's labeled "part"
Can we have a real name for this part?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

khaliss
Explorer
Explorer
sig changed!
Vacation House on-wheels
---d'RIG---

khaliss
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive was the cheapest... tried BlueSky, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, & Geiko. I'm also no stranger to Progressive, they are good when it comes to claims.

Did our first camping trip with the LaPalma, drove 530 miles total over the 4-day road/camping trip: Solvang, Santa Barbara, Pismo, MorroBay. Handling is good, but on turns/curvy roads, I prefer the ClassC over a ClassA due to the lower center of gravity. But yeah, can't beat the luxurious feel of this coach, it feels like I'm in a mobile 5-star hotel ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Lots of little things (mainly cosmetic issues) that the dealership is now taking care of. I'm now finding out how important it is to buy locally when it comes to new RVs. Overall, me & the wife are happy with the purchase.
Vacation House on-wheels
---d'RIG---

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
khaliss wrote:
It's done!!! picking it up next week... holy cow, didn't really expect this to pull through. So surreal.

Congrat's on the new coach. They are nice coaches

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
progressive is not the cheapest. Try State Farm. then let ME know! ๐Ÿ˜‰ im also in the market....in the near future, hopefully
Janet N Texas

khaliss
Explorer
Explorer
It's done!!! picking it up next week... holy cow, didn't really expect this to pull through. So surreal.
Vacation House on-wheels
---d'RIG---

khaliss
Explorer
Explorer
might pull the trigger tonight, just waiting on my wife's final stamp of approval. so, majority seems to indicate that Monaco is a solid brand, right?
Vacation House on-wheels
---d'RIG---

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
On January 8th, Bill Osborne, President Navistar RV, had a conference call with owners of motorized RV's. In that conference he stated that it was against the terms of bankruptcy for Navistar RV to honor the old Monaco's warranties. Saying that it was not legal for them to do so...

In my opinion that fact should have been made very public and not leave previous owners in the dark making them think is was Navistar's choice not to support them.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

jamesa403
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to point out a couple of things. First, the ad for the new Monaco says "gas pusher", meaning the engine is in the rear. It's not in the rear, which should have been noticeable to you when you drove it. Secondly, we have a 2007 Monaco LaPalma, which broke down when we were in the Yukon. Ours was one of the last Monaco's built by the old Monaco that went bankrupt. When Navistar took over Monaco, somehow they didn't do much about parts, and when we needed a part in the Yukon, we couldn't get the part from Monaco, but had to go back to the part supplier, who had to make a new part because they didn't make that part anymore. Net result was the motorhome stayed in the Yukon for 5 weeks while the new part was manufactured, while we drove back to Cambridge in our toad (4000 miles), then 5 weeks later flew back to Whitehorse to drive the MH back. Needless to say I am less than impressed with Navistar`s concern for old Monaco customers

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
paulsang wrote:
KilroyGuy wrote:
Monaco is now an orphan brand. Parts will be very difficult to come by if the past is any indication.

Part are not difficult to come by at all. I have a 2000 Diplomat I picked up this year with 78,000 miles for a real steal. Needed a few minor fixes. Monaco was helpful in getting part numbers, and even sending us parts. If they didn't have it, they gave us a list of acceptable alternatives.

To OP...if you are happy with the coach and the price, far be it from us to tell you whether or not to purchase it. Rock ON!!!

X2

MarcW
Explorer
Explorer
The 'won't be able to get parts' story that gets attached to the coaches who's manufactures have changed hands or gone bankrupt is always stated by people who don't own one. It's not true. The motor coach world doesn't work that way.
2007 Monaco Dynasty Emperor IV
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Edouard
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a 99 Holiday Rambler, basically where the Monaco gas models were modeled after Monaco acquired HR from Harley Davidson, bought new, sold it 13 years later, a great experience.
We now have another so-called orphan, an 08 National Dolphin as seen in our profile, but now due to lifestyle changes, we have it on the market and will be
replacing it with a Sprinter based class C.

We have never had issues with either Holiday Rambler or National brand that we could not find the needed help/parts, especially since there is very little that the house builder actually provides other than the front and rear fiberglass molds, and in most cases fiberglass can be repaired following an accident.

In the case of National Dolphin for example, another firm owns the molds to reproduce if necessary.
Eugene & Stella

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
KilroyGuy wrote:
Monaco is now an orphan brand. Parts will be very difficult to come by if the past is any indication.

Part are not difficult to come by at all. I have a 2000 Diplomat I picked up this year with 78,000 miles for a real steal. Needed a few minor fixes. Monaco was helpful in getting part numbers, and even sending us parts. If they didn't have it, they gave us a list of acceptable alternatives.

To OP...if you are happy with the coach and the price, far be it from us to tell you whether or not to purchase it. Rock ON!!!