cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on 1997 Winnebago Vectra

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello I am new to motorhomes (currently a travel trailer) but found a 97 Vectra with 80K miles that has some roof damage. They say it is on a Freightliner chassis and has the 5.9l and 6 speed Allison. First any common issues with the motorhome? What about the drivetrain? Is it underpowered? And if so can any of the modifications they do to trucks with the 5.9L apply to give it more power or allow it to operate more efficiently? I driven behind airbrakes on heavy duty trucks is this system just as robust?

Thanks
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
9 REPLIES 9

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
post pictures
bumpy

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info!
J-Rooster wrote:
Joe, in 1997 the Vectra was Winnebagos top of the line Diesel Pusher. You shouldn't have any problems with the motor and Allison trans. In fact at 80,000 miles the inside of the engine if well maintained should be near new, most diesel engines get broke in around 20,000 miles. What damages motorhomes more than anything else is water damage. Beware of water leaks and the moisture that accompanies them. Good Luck with your new coach.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpy thanks I did get your warnings. Let me clarify I am not looking for a turn key motorhome. I also understand that roof damage can be a terrible thing. There is shrink wrap (sealed) but no signs of delamination, no stains in the interior or signs of water leakage that I observed. Maybe I should have said I have a bad habit on taking on projects. I get them fix (by pros), enjoy them then eventually sell them. I am trying to gather more specifics on the roof but wanted to make sure it was even worth the research that's why I asked about the model.

Bumpyroad wrote:
you are worrying about the wrong things. exactly what is the "roof damage".? a hole in it, separation at the edge, what is wrong?
worry about that first, as that is either make or break on the deal.
bumpy
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, in 1997 the Vectra was Winnebagos top of the line Diesel Pusher. You shouldn't have any problems with the motor and Allison trans. In fact at 80,000 miles the inside of the engine if well maintained should be near new, most diesel engines get broke in around 20,000 miles. What damages motorhomes more than anything else is water damage. Beware of water leaks and the moisture that accompanies them. Good Luck with your new coach.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you are worrying about the wrong things. exactly what is the "roof damage".? a hole in it, separation at the edge, what is wrong?
worry about that first, as that is either make or break on the deal.
bumpy

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
The roof will make or break the deal but wanted to know more about this model and the drivetrain. The damage is covered with shrink wrap but before I consider it with the roof I wanted to know is this a decent combo. I don't have much info at this moment and getting it at a still negotiated steal of a price (I hope). By looking at similar models online I want to say it is a 35' foot model. How rugged is the brakes and suspension on this frame? What is the Allison's reputation in these?
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

Bruce_Brown
When I saw the thread title I was going to say the Vectra was a nice unit in its day but be sure to check the roof. Winnies have had and continue to have roof issues.

Depending on the condition and price it may be a bargain or the biggest waste of money you've ever seen.

Proceed with caution and be 100% sure what you're getting yourself in to.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Roof damage is scary. If it shows any signs of leakage, then free is too expensive. I do mean ANY Sign.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that your main issue is with the "roof damage". what kind of damage, how severe, any water leakage, etc. what length/weight is this unit?
bumpy