cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on this MH for sale

grey2112
Explorer
Explorer
As we continue in our search, I came across this one.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvs/d/newmar-mountain-aire-2014/6304963616.html

2004 model, 65k miles, seems in very nice shape, has a lot of the features we like.

I know nothing of the manufacturer, reliability, etc.

Thoughts?
86 REPLIES 86

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
grey2112 wrote:
Yeah, it is SO confusing trying to figure out how to narrow this stuff down. I thought I had found our perfect one but the undercarriage rust and corrosion really concerned me. A nightmare waiting to happen.
It is tedious. Floorplan, brand, features, color, all that before you even consider wear and tear, care, mileage, etc on a used unit. Now you know a few more questions to ask before driving out, but it still doesn't mean you won't find undisclosed issues.

You'll find it -
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

grey2112
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it is SO confusing trying to figure out how to narrow this stuff down. I thought I had found our perfect one but the undercarriage rust and corrosion really concerned me. A nightmare waiting to happen.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
grey2112 wrote:
As we continue in our search, I came across this one.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvs/d/newmar-mountain-aire-2014/6304963616.html

2004 model, 65k miles, seems in very nice shape, has a lot of the features we like.

I know nothing of the manufacturer, reliability, etc.

Thoughts?

Still trying to figure out which model it is and can't believe it's not the first thing in the ad.
There's quite an array in 04 with type and features varying widely, as well as the value.
Maybe I just missed it, but ads need to catch the eye immediately, with so many of everything being for sale.
Newmar does have an excellent reputation for coach building, at any rate.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start a new thread on the next coach that you find.

grey2112
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys. The 6 hours of being on the road yesterday, and the 2 hours spent there, was worth it - now I know what to ask and look for before heading out to check out others.

I appreciate everyone's help and opinions. I've got some 2000 and 2004 models under consideration - should I start a new thread with some links to those to garner opinions? The 2000 model looks too good to be true, and unfortunately is 5 hours away, but I might be able to get my dad (an experienced RVer) to go check it out.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
RUN Away

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
After viewing the undercarriage photos I would not consider purchasing this rig at any price. This rig will eventually be a nightmare for the owner.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would pass on that coach. The rust issues will cause you problems.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. I live near Chicago and my 1999 does not have that much rust under it. Looks like a candidate for future suspension issues. Would need some work right away to clean up and re-coat the frame to stop any further deterioration.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
doggone, I bet undercoating before that venture would have avoided most of that. I always worry some of those were sitting in water too, especially with all the hurricanes.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bruce_Brown
Ugh. That stuff isn't going to get better, no matter how much you cover it up.

Just my opinion, I'd keep looking.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a lot of rust. It looks like everything underneath has suffered and will mean a lot of extra labor and parts to do any suspension work. The brake caliper and rotor look like toast.
Personally I'd pass. There are better coaches out there.

grey2112
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so I went to check out the 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire today.

Everything worked, exterior looked nice, interior was nice, I liked the layout, setup, etc. Engine sounded sweet (nice and quiet).

Tires were 7 years old and in need of replacement.

Now, the bad part, or at least I think so. If I'm off let me know.

It appears that the second owner (who had it for about 9 years) drove it a LOT up north. The chassis, axles, underside, etc. had a LOT of rust. Is this normal? Or could this be an indication of a lot of road salt that was never washed/rinsed off and has taken to eating away at the metal?

I'm going to try and link the photos I took so you call can see them.

RV underside pics

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
all three were offered in the mountain aire for 2002, 1 in diesel, and 2 in gas

see here scroll down.

Actually that is 2 diesel, 1 gasser.

The pushers were offered with either Spartan or Freightliner, the gassers were only offered with the Workhorse. And for the record, it was not the rebadged P Series Chevys.

I see that.... now 🙂
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.