cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Roof leak on our Allegro Motor Home

Fix_n2
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried a do it yourself project of stopping your roof from leaking on an Allegro motor home?

We made a big mistake letting someone kool seal our top, did not know they pressure washed it first but now have a big problem where the elastic coating has leaks in it. We have it parked under our barn but now are unable to use it until we can do the necessary repairs.

We would like to make the necessary repairs, as we miss not being able to use our RV. We learned a lesson, trying to help someone out but has cost us a great deal of heartache and probably a large amount of money to get our motor home back up and running for us to enjoy.

Thanks so much for any and all information.
15 REPLIES 15

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is terrific. Originally it was designed for sealing underwater cables while still underwater. It will last as long as your MH. While it is expensive do not fall for one of the cheap imitations that are around. Get the real Eternabond, fix it once and be done with it.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is a cut in the membrane then I would go over lapping 4 " or 6 " Eternabond tape. Will stop your leak and you can get back to RVing
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I am a fan of Eternabond. Their site is http://www.eternabond.com

I have used it in a variety of applications. Some examples are below.

Fix_n2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone whom has replied.
The motor home is an Alegra which uses a rubber membrane on the roof.
When the guy washed our motor home he pressure washed the roof. He cut a slit in the rubber membrane and water leaked in from that. When I discovered it, the glue had released under the membrane, about 8 inches around the slit, made by the presser washer. I completely covered the exposed plywood under the rubber membrane until I could make room in the barn. It has been in the barn since.
I was going to use thin Stainless steel and make a square patch over the area with a good sealant underneath but the 2 didn't want me to. 2 as in the other half of Fixin2.
We have pondered using the roof coating that covers the entire roof as re-roofing with the original rubber membrane is very costly. UNLESS someone knows how to do it reasonably ?
We thought about buying a product called Liquid Rubber EPDM Roof Recoating.mp4 . You can watch the process of how it is used here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNgsZ4LHyM
Thanks and have a good day.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Are you 100% sure it's the roof leaking? On my Allegro I had water coming in one of the clearance lights in the front doing just what you described. Take a water hose to it and have someone watch exactly where the leaks are coming from.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Fix_n2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the good advice on fixing our roof.

As soon as the weather cools off some here in Florida and the rains let up we are going to see what we can do in order to fix it.

We are wanting to go full time RVing but can not do anything until we get our roof done and a few minor maintenance upgrades, like new batteries, new belts, change oil, check the brakes, etc.

Happy Travels, God Bless & Be Safe.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the edpm coating, as it pretty much covers everything and you'll know you got it sealed.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the motor home? You could consider going to Red Bay, AL to the factory but I would send photos and ask how much.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of roof do you have? Do you have any pictures of the roof? Dicor a maker of rubber roofs recommends power washing the roof after applying their cleaner before painting it. Does the Kool Seal coating look good? Your leak may be coming form the front seam. I recently applied Eternabond to my seam.

SacsTC
Explorer
Explorer
Fixin2 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

We have not used it now for about two years and miss out by this leak. I wondered if there is a skin or some type of something we could buy from Allegro to rework the whole top and coat it with new elastic coating.

Thanks.

Sounds like you want/need a kit for a new roof. You can get one from Dicor or from PPL
1999 Damon Daybreak 3270
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I was a good kid, now I'm making up for it

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Most sealants, roof products are not "RV brand specific". I doubt Allegro would have anything for you but advice. Here is one option.

Roof Sealant

There are many others. Just do a qoogle search on RV roof sealant.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Fix_n2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply.

When we first discovered the leak our home was sitting with the front lower than the back. I noticed what looked like the windshield leaking on the inside to which after checking it was coming in running to the front and down the windshield. It appears to have its own path to do this when our home was lower in the front. We have had it under our barn now for some time, it is all dry with no mold issues or any damage except a few water spots on the ceiling next to the trim nearest the side of the front door on the passenger side and one on the inside of a cabinet door near the front door. We parked it inside as soon as we discovered the leaking.

We have not used it now for about two years and miss out by this leak. I wondered if there is a skin or some type of something we could buy from Allegro to rework the whole top and coat it with new elastic coating.

Thanks.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. If done properly, coating the roof will extend its life.
If you have holes you can see, Eternabond is your best bet.
Dicor self leveling caulk is another option.
Can you give us a little more info about your leaks, maybe someone has a better answer.