cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overhang construction

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
After narrowing down some small Class C’s that fit most of my requirements online I was finally able to look at them in person. I saw about 5 24 ft C’s and notice one had a full front FG front cap and rear cap but little outside storage. The ones with the biggest rear storage in the rear all had a corner seam in the front over hang area. I realize this is an area than can leak over time due to movement of the over hang area and also realize that a full FG, or a partial FG front that wraps around the corners is a better design. So the only question I have is on a new MH how often do they leak ? I remember years ago people would complain about the front windshields leaking and sometimes the corner joint leaking but have not heard too much about this lately. Is it still a problem?
22 REPLIES 22

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
EMD360 wrote:
When I bought a 2003 Itasca in 2009 the advice here was to line any roof seams and marker lights with eternabond. That has held up amazingly well and I don’t think it is leaking although I do have some delamination in various areas of the body. I just updated to a 2018 Minnie Winnie and I’m wondering if I should do the same thing when the weather gets better.
. Did you actually put eternabond tape over the corner seams of the overhang? How wide a strip did you use?

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
I once had the marker lights leak on the front over hang on our C.

Yes, they do leak sometimes. I had a leak that came down the windshield on the inside. It wasn't until I had the windshield replaced after what I believe was a bullet hitting

it ( driving alone on freeway not a car in sight then ping) anyway the moulding holding the glass was not installed correctly. My coach was a cambria, B+ if you will, one

piece fiberglass nose. I was surprised at how much that nose bounced while traveling, a overhead bed must really bounce.

I hope the OP finds this information to be of some help.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought a 2003 Itasca in 2009 the advice here was to line any roof seams and marker lights with eternabond. That has held up amazingly well and I don’t think it is leaking although I do have some delamination in various areas of the body. I just updated to a 2018 Minnie Winnie and I’m wondering if I should do the same thing when the weather gets better.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many rvs are assembled by young workers working for a paycheck not really career employees. I really don't think you are going to find the perfect rv. Maintain whatever you buy and you’ll greatly reduce the chances of...... Park it inside or under a carport and and you reduce uv drying of the caulk. Use good caulk/ sealant.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I once had the marker lights leak on the front over hang on our C.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
My last class C had a full bunk over the cab with no forward facing bunk window. It did not have a full fiberglass cab over like the current one does. Never leaked as far as I know. I think those windows were a major leak source.

Also older units had wood framing. Both of my units are/where aluminum framed. Another positive change is some manufacturers are using materials inside that are not damaged by water in the cab over.

My current unit has a shortened fiberglass cab over because I have an “intertainment center” there that I never use. It still has a heck of allot of storage behind the TV that lifts up to get to the storage. The “B+” units do not have that amount storage. But they are more aerodynamic they say.

The last thought is all RVs need regular exterior inspection when it comes to anything on or connected to the roof. I had a class A with a front cap leak when I bought it and did not see it for several years. Old caulking seams are deceiving.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Most people would say that one leak is too many, and that it's not if but rather when in terms of likelihood of leaking. You really have to think about your usage and plans, meaning that if this is something you'll keep for 15 years then it's better to get something that doesn't require maintenance because it will probably leak during that time. On the other hand if the plan is to keep it for a few years then perhaps you'll get lucky and whoever buys it from you and choose to roll the dice instead.

I also think there's a factor of role and twist that has to be considered. At that length it may be less and so you defer the leak, if you will.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say yes, but it's a luck of the draw thing. Too many factors involved to define one or two cab over designs that will be more or less prone to leaks. I didn't want a cab over bunk, and was able to delete it when ordering, and so far, no problems without one. I'm sure that probably doesn't help much. Sorry.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)