cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

overheat issue Diesel engine

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Well, After almost 3 1/2 months in Ringpower CAT in Brooksville Florida I finally had the shop foreman admit that they screwed up on my coach. I took it there August 30th, 2015 for some repairs and maintenance:
belts
dash ac issues
thermostats
oil leak above starter

what they did:
thermostats
belts
replaced rear wheel bearing seals
a/c compressor - rcvr dryer - condenser motor
sensor replaced for the oil leak
found cracked fan blade( wasn't cracked when taken in(as far as I know)
supposed to be finished November 1st, 2015 the latest!

Still not together:
overheated engine (225) when test drove after work complete
started pulling radiator, found some insulation from engine compartment between CAC and radiator(said 95% sure this causing issue)
Hooked radiator back up.Ran coach again says good 200 degrees, day before Thansgiving)
Wanted to keep till after Thanksgiving, Monday after he drove again, now (217) too hot. Now pulling radiator and CAC out to radiator shop, radiator shop pressure checks and says its ok, CAC leak checked too, ok!
Radiator delivered back to CAT 12-8 yesterday at 2 pm. We went up there at 410 pm 12-8. Radiator sitting on pallet,foreman showed me some hoses they replaced, and a line they replaced for cooling system. Then I asked the same question I had been asking since they installed the brand new fan assembly "are you sure the fan was installed right? I asked him to get the fan(removed now for the radiator removal) and hold it up to the mount on engine, as he did he said, the fan was marked by the technician how to install the new fan, and he marked and installed it backward back in November causing the overheat issue.

All this time and work didn't even have to be completed, so he basically was caught red handed and was not going to tell me about the fan at all and blame it on something else they replaced.

Today they are starting to put it together, I was told yesterday!

I had to cancel November's trip and have another coming up the 19th to the 28th of December.

They really have not had good communication from the start, as the only way I knew anything was to go there. Thank goodness it is only 10-15 minutes away from my home.

This is just a heads up for anyone that needs engine work done, be vigilant if you decide to go there, and be smart wherever you take your motorhome for any repairs. They are not all as honest as you think!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992
9 REPLIES 9

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
As I quoted in the previous thread, that was exactly the experience I had with my fan replacement...However, there was no other needless expenses like cleaning radiator etc. Mine was done in a cool month and I didn't experience any overheating until May, several months later when the temps in Moab was 104 degrees. It was a long day with the engine running much hotter than I was comfortable with nursing it along. I self diagnosed the backwards fan only because I fly RC planes and know that if a prop is installed backwards, you lose probably about half the air flow generated by the prop. The garage did reimburse me for the labor to re-install the fan properly at a garage in WY.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following your saga for a few days glad it is finely getting resolved. the worst thing is you can never get the time back

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone makes the assumption that these are highly trained technicians. The best technicians get the better jobs like over the road tractors. The junior mechanics get stuck with working on RV's which nobody wants to do. Many of the independent Freight Liner dealers here in Florida charge a higher labor rate for motor homes than for semi trucks. Our toys are not the easiest things to work on.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
I find this incredible. Dosen't anyone ever LOOK at which way the fan is turning when they are done with a job? All fan blades pull or push air with the concave side of their blades. Maybe just me i guess.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Am I thinking correctly? The fan is mounted backward in a DP than in a conventional truck where the fan pulls air in.

I'm guessing they put it on the way they are used to doing it.

Not making excuses.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654,
Well Sir, I surely feel your pain. Ultra long story short, while traveling to Texas from San Diego, the J1939 data link in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT broke one of its three wires. That knocked out all our gauges, exhaust brake, cruise control etc. We took the coach to "On the Border Freightliner" in El Paso TX.

What a nightmare that place is. Talk about lack of communication!! They wouldn't even talk to us unless we barged our way into the front office etc. And we weren't the only ones. There were other folks with broken RVs and, truckers with broken over-the-road tractor/trailer rigs too that, no one from the service/supervisors would talk to either.

Those boys (supposed techs) were absolutely clueless in what and how to fix our rig. Talk about being pi$$ed off for 2.5 days. Well, they knew it when they handed me part of the bill. Anyway, I surely know how you feel.

It's very difficult to know just how good a repair center is if you have no idea about the place before you authorize work to be done. Word of mouth is the best advertising, that's for sure.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some lessons are time consuming and expensive to learn. Be glad it is over and just move on with your travels when you can.

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see resolution! Too bad it took way too long.

After reading your other post, it seems TOO common for those fans to be put on incorrectly.

Happy travels!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,D be trading this rv in , the day its done , things do happen sorry for your loss .