cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Evaluate Floor Plans?

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
We've been looking at class A diesel pushers for a couple of months now and as far as I can tell I have no real floor plan preference other than I'd rather not have the TV up high between the front seats. That's problematic in the price range we are looking at which puts us at 2004-2007. Those years had very few available coaches with floor mounted entertainment centers. The wife says she can make anything work and doesn't seem to have a preference either.

I find myself placing more emphasis on the chassis, engine and radiator configuration, which from all advice I've seen, is backwards.

How do you evaluate a floor plan?

What is a deal killer?

Or a must have?

Do you find two vanity sinks valuable?
41 REPLIES 41

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
S&B = 'Stick and Brick' ....some say 'Sticks and Bricks'.

Good luck on your search.

MM.

Ah, yes we're in about our tenth house in our sixth state. We also lived overseas.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
S&B = 'Stick and Brick' ....some say 'Sticks and Bricks'.

Good luck on your search.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
barmcd wrote:

It might seem that way, but I'm looking for ideas really. When I stand in most coaches and look around I have no feelings pro or con about most of the floor plans.

Have you lived in very many S&B houses? Sometimes it takes experience to know what you like and what you don't. Or maybe you are just a flexible and un-picky person :).

What's a S&B house?

We did live in our 5th wheel for over a year while we built a house. It only had one small slide so space was limited, but it wasn't too bad.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think a lot depends on how you plan to use the MH and where you prefer to camp. I too would choose chassis over layout. Also storage, CCC, and FW capacity over layout. I bought an older Class A 11 years ago when I retired to learn and see if i liked the life style and to figure out what I wanted in my next and final RV. I have a list of things I want after using this MH for 11 years and 80,000 miles of trips. The problem is I can't find one that has all my wants. Also priorities change as we get older. So don't try to find the perfect one just get one that meets most of your needs and enjoy it while you still have your health and desire to travel.

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
Our needs include a king size bed and a shower tall enough for me to fit, I am 6'3". It should have a living space that allows at least 4 people to sit comfortably while not using the dinette. Also consider outside storage because larger folding chairs might not fit. If you are taking children, bunk beds are nice, not only for sleeping, but also so they have their own "den." It also keeps the rest of the RV cleaner when you get up in the morning. There are no hidabeds or dinettes to put back together.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We went for floor plan rather than chassis and are extremely happy we did, especially since it is only 34' (we fulltime).

First requirement - everything had to be usable with the slides in - tv, bathroom, kitchen, bed. This alone knocked out a lot of contenders.
Second requirement - a tv in a viewable location for the living area. Not up front, not in a pop up behind the dining table, not in a neck-craning location. This knocked out quite a few more.
Third requirement - a seating area where two people could lounge comfortably. This knocked out even more.
Fourth requirement - a gravity fill water tank option. Not floor plan related but, since we boondock and dry camp, a requirement learned from not having one.

We found the perfect floor plan for us in a gas Bounder so, even though we wanted diesel, we bought it. We absolutely love our floor plan and the only thing that would make us trade is our exact floor plan in a diesel. With no carpet. I really hate the carpet. And I want a large window in the back. Chances are we will never trade ours in...
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
barmcd wrote:

It might seem that way, but I'm looking for ideas really. When I stand in most coaches and look around I have no feelings pro or con about most of the floor plans.

Have you lived in very many S&B houses? Sometimes it takes experience to know what you like and what you don't. Or maybe you are just a flexible and un-picky person :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
As we have been going through this journey as we look at what we might replace our Dolphin with if we go neartime/fulltime and check off need to haves and got to haves. Can what ever is not the way we want be relatively easily/cheaply changed! The price you have to pay for the unit of course figures into that equation. If you are paying top price then you very few changes will be inexpensive. If buying at a good to great price it may very well be a good base to make the changes to make it your dream coach.

Remember almost anything in side the coach can be changed for a price.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
What’s right for me, or someone else, won’t necessarily be right for you. Two sofas was a deal-breaker for me; others like two.

Visualize living in the floor plan you are considering. How will it work for the way you like to live?

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
RayChez wrote:
The original poster wanted to know about choosing floor plans, yet some are giving information about chassis. GEEZ!

barmcd (The OP) wrote:
I find myself placing more emphasis on the chassis, engine and radiator configuration, which from all advice I've seen, is backwards.

I for one do not feel chassis over floor plan is backwards. In the years he's looking at as an example... my Dynasty came in a dozen different lengths/floor plans. Pretty sure most could find a floor plan that comes close to what they think they want. Since I do all the maintenance and repairs plus 99% of the driving... guess that makes me backwards and not one of the all as I started with the chassis.
Ivylog wrote:
For me it's tag axle, 10 airbags, and side radiator without going to Prevost, Newell, or Foretravel.

I do agree with what Ray said: "But to ask others about floor plan is kind of crazy because every person has their own idea as to what they want."

It might seem that way, but I'm looking for ideas really. When I stand in most coaches and look around I have no feelings pro or con about most of the floor plans. Take the bath for instance, some have a walk through, split bath, with the shower and sink on one side and the toilet in a closet on the other. Others are have sink, shower and toilet in the same room. Really makes no difference to me except that I don't want the toilet to intrude into where you have to stand in front of the mirror. I've seen some people talking about preferring to have the dinette on the passenger side so they look out at their campsite when eating. It's not something I had considered and I don't think it makes a difference to me, but it gives us something to mull over as we look at motor homes.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I evaluate a floor plan by finding the coach that best suits my needs. It may not be perfect but is very close to what I want!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I like TV so having the TV located for comfortable viewing is important. For me that means on the side. Love the washer/dryer. Like shower in its own room not in hall or share with head. No window over head of the bed..

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
RayChez wrote:
The original poster wanted to know about choosing floor plans, yet some are giving information about chassis. GEEZ!

barmcd (The OP) wrote:

I for one do not feel chassis over floor plan is backwards. In the years he's looking at as an example... my Dynasty came in a dozen different lengths/floor plans. Pretty sure most could find a floor plan that comes close to what they think they want. Since I do all the maintenance and repairs plus 99% of the driving... guess that makes me backwards and not one of the all as I started with the chassis.
Ivylog wrote:
For me it's tag axle, 10 airbags, and side radiator without going to Prevost, Newell, or Foretravel.

I do agree with what Ray said: "But to ask others about floor plan is kind of crazy because every person has their own idea as to what they want."
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
My next coach will have a king sized bed. We've slept together for 35+ years and no stealing of covers at home (king bed). In the RV (queen bed), I "sleep" with a steel grip on the covers.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV