Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overweight!! EMPTY!

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously concerned and stumped.
We have a 1995 Damon 30' Ultrasport. The GVWR on Fords label is 11,500, Damon lists it as 12,500, and the state has it at 12,000.
I had the idea to throw it on a scale and I'm overweight empty! I came in at 13,440
5020 on the front axle and 8420 on the rear.
So according to ford I'm overweight by 1,940 total, 610 on the rear axle, and 620 on the front axle.
Bad enough I'm overweight, but this is empty! Nothing inside, nothing in the basement, no water, 1/4 tank of gas, and no passengers. Is this common? I can't shed any weight, I'm looking at 800 lbs in people alone, nevermind camping stuff and fluids.

I just don't know what I can do.. beef up suspension? No matter what I'm not legal. This probably explains why it drives like ****.
17 REPLIES 17

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
I did not get a chance to get it back to the scales. To answer some questions, my tires are Firestone Transforce HT 225/75R16E. The rear doesn't appear to be sagging to me, but it does seem a couple inches higher than the front.

I am interested in that front axle swap, but I cant find any info on it.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey OP... carringb posted while my reply was in draft, and he is THE MAN when it comes to our E-Series chassis. He said pretty much what I wanted to tell you. I've done that front end swap, and it isn't a bad job. Common hand tools no drilling or welding. Got my parts from Quigley in central PA. You could install SuperSprings while you're changing the axle assembly, and get 5000-lb capacity with about a 2" lift from stock springs. Probably more from sagged springs. There are a couple threads here about front axle swaps.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the Size and Load Range of the new tires? RV's used to come with "D" tires, and their max capacity was at 65-PSI. That sounds like what it would have shipped with. It is almost impossible to get new, Class C Sized LT225/75R16 tires that are not Load Range "E" which means you can go to 80-PSI and the TIRES will carry extra load over "D" tires.

There were cases where somebody, post Chassis Manufacturer, upped the ratings. I at least hope there was some reinforcement to go along with that. The only ones I heard of, were GM chassis that were branded "Workhorse" but maybe it was also done with some Fords. Workhorse assumed the warranty liability for the upgraded capacity.

Does the Coach sit Level? Easiest place to tell would be measurements from the bottom edges of the outside walls, down to the pavement. I'm interested in knowing if it's sagging to the front or the rear.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Are you looking at the weight on the door panel?

Or the coach builders sticker that should be inside the clothes closet on the wall?

His original post state 11,500 Ford 12,500 Damon. Uprating was very common practice prior to the E450, and Ford even had a bulletin to support it, including statements of compliance with applicable FMVSS. So yes, the 12,5000 GVWR is valid.

OP- If you swap out your rear leafs for a newer E450 set, you'll restore ride height AND probably ride better too, since they don't use the super stiff lower overload like the E350 springs.

Also, if you swap to a 2008+ front axle and springs, that setup is rated for 5,000 pounds FAWR. As a big bonus, the brakes are MUCH bigger, and you get a better sway bar and better radius arm design, all for less than doing either a set of ball joints or even a brake job. Most of the 4x4 converters have new take-offs. Just buy from the converter nearest you.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Or the coach builders sticker that should be inside the clothes closet on the wall?

I'll have to look in the closet again. I was looking at Ford's sticker on the door.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Plumber, unfortunately your circumstance is not unusual. I have posted here before, that before we bought our Class C, we went to several large RV shows and looked at all kinds of RVs, including Class As. We went through several Class A gassers that would have been over-weight with only the four members of our family on board, no stuff. We found similar situations with some Class C units with multiple slides and other options. These Class C units tended to be longer Cs, 30 feet or more.

While you can take a chance and use the C as is, keep in mind your legal liability if something happens and someone gets hurt or worse.

Good luck with this unfortunate circumstance.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I would just do some upgraded springs, and stay under your tire ratings, which could require going up a size.

You won't break the frame. Your generation chassis may have already come with the Dana 80, but even if it's just a 70, those are very hard to hurt. I have the 7800# Dana 70 axle, and run as heavy as 11,000 on the rear.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Cobra21 wrote:
Then again, it must have been okay for the last 22 years.

This.

And as for the driving like ****, have you noticed the threads (several of them) on here about fixing the front end alignment on Ford E350/450 units ??

It really works.

Of course there may be other factors too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going take a trip to a cat scale later, weigh it empty and as we camp.
I did email the guy I bought it from, and I think he gave me the answer. Apparently the unit had a bit of water damage, and he was unhappy with the build quality of what he was repairing and replaced the ferring strips and styrofoam with something more substantial. This was done about 10 years ago. My wb is 218". GAWR " 7810 rear 4400 front with 225/75R16D tires at 65 psi cold"
There's 45,000 miles on the rig, front seems a bit squishy rear is perky. I do think it's time for shocks, tires are brand new.. thankfully at least the tires are not overloaded

The paperwork from Damon lists the GVWR at 12,500, but their sticker on the rig is 11,500?
I think a scale run before handing over money is great advice that I'll be taking in the future.

Sorry for the rambling post, just trying to,answer the replies and get the info,out there.
Thanks

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holy Barbells Batman! I really hope you found a defective scale. For reference, I don't have an actual empty weight, from a scale, for our 31-ft non-slide Jayco on E450. The label in a cabinet says something like 11,200. We pack awful heavy, and need to cut down, but we scale FULL (two of us plus too-much-stuff) at around 13,500.

Previous posts are right that you probably cannot fix it to legal. I'm covered up in stuff to do for awhile today. If you want to PM you phone number, I'll can call you later.

I'd like to know what the Wheelbase is. Ford probably provided a 158" chassis then Damon had somebody stretch it (ours stretched 60" to 218") and add a rear overhang extension as well. Damon's label, and maybe one from the stretcher, should have the extended length.

For those of you watching at home, this is why Ford brought out the E-Super Duty, which they shortly decided to call E450.

I've been saying lately, that a shopper should include a truck stop CAT Scale visit in their test drive. Dittmer would probably join the chorus. Ron, you know we'll be called by the derogatory term...

Weight Police...

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
I've never heard of an empty motorhome being overweight by almost one ton. What are your GAWR? May be worth weighing it at another set of scales. Has someone replaced the flooring , furniture, or appliances such that it now weighs that much?

Very good questions!

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Then again, it must have been okay for the last 22 years. Do the springs sag? Is it due for new shocks and tires? How many miles are on the rig? It is late
in the game for these questions. Some Cs take a while to get used to there
driving habits.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never heard of an empty motorhome being overweight by almost one ton. What are your GAWR? May be worth weighing it at another set of scales. Has someone replaced the flooring , furniture, or appliances such that it now weighs that much?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT