Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overweight!! EMPTY!

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously concerned and stumped.
We have a 1995 Damon 30' Ultrasport. The GVWR on Fords label is 11,500, Damon lists it as 12,500, and the state has it at 12,000.
I had the idea to throw it on a scale and I'm overweight empty! I came in at 13,440
5020 on the front axle and 8420 on the rear.
So according to ford I'm overweight by 1,940 total, 610 on the rear axle, and 620 on the front axle.
Bad enough I'm overweight, but this is empty! Nothing inside, nothing in the basement, no water, 1/4 tank of gas, and no passengers. Is this common? I can't shed any weight, I'm looking at 800 lbs in people alone, nevermind camping stuff and fluids.

I just don't know what I can do.. beef up suspension? No matter what I'm not legal. This probably explains why it drives like ****.
17 REPLIES 17

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of Class C's that are at or near their GVWR ratings empty, as you have found in your case. There is nothing you can do to overcome this legally. The only people who can increase your actual GVWR legally are the factory or a licensed up fitter who can issue a new federal weight sticker. It is highly unlikely you will have any luck with either of these possibilities due to liability issues. You can add aftermarket options to mitigate your weight issues, but as you have already stated this will still not make you legal. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, that surely stinks. I wonder what can be done sensibly to bring up the GVWR....higher rated springs? Make sure your tires are rated for your actual load. If your frame isn't rated to handle the load, then you're in deep do-do. Make sure your rig isn't coming apart at the seams, an indication the frame is inadequate.

I used to know this stuff fairly well but I recall the gauge thickness of the frame of an E450 is significantly thicker than that of an E350. But ratings within a particular chassis like the E350 for example, are rated at 12,500 11,500, 10,700 and 10,000 of which I believe some of the weight ratings are determined by the springs Ford installed. Other factors are the engine, fuel tank, and wheel base. It seems to me that smaller ones weigh less so maybe you could load more on the chassis with the difference in weight. There are a lot of dynamics going on with ratings. It's not just about weight. Some of it is about capability. So a smaller V8 Triton engine may rate the GVWR downward even though it is lighter than the V10.

I recommend you call Champion Frame Align and pick their brain over the phone. I always appreciated working with George but he might have recently retired. They might be able to offer some practical solutions. One of Champion's specialty is just this kind of thing.

Oh.....I see ScottG beat me to some ideas.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Not much you can do now but make sure the tires themselves aren't overloaded.
You could also talk to a spring shop about adding a leaf or two.
Or add some air bags.