cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelmed with choices of motorhomes

cducote
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first purchase of a motorhome. We have narrowed it down to these 3: Fleetwood, Thor, or Georgetown. Can anyone give me pros or cons of each? Our budget is <$100,000 and we like the bunk bed floor plans. We haven't found any used ones in our area so it looks like we'll have to buy new.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
41 REPLIES 41

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Fleetwood makes many different models? Makes? Pace Arrows are higher in their food chain then Southwind and Bounder.
For your dollars I would look at the Fleetwood Terra

Where have you been, Fleetwood hasnt produced the Pace Arrow for Years
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, we wouldn't rule out a non-fiberglass roof. They are just fine if buying a new RV. It's the care the previous owner took of it if buying used. If they are kept clean and free of mildew they are just fine. We had a 5th wheel with one for 8 years with no problems.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
Here is something you need to take into consideration. Only Tiffin and Newmar use the Ford 24,000 lbs chasis on the 35ft and larger gas coaches. All other use the 22,000. My buddy bought a new 37 Thor Challenger. Adding full gas,water hes at his max GWVR. Also the Fleetwood and Thor 36 and 37 ft coaches have a 228 inch wheel base, which is way to short for a coach that size

Winnebago uses 24,000 lb chassis on their Adventurer 37F, and a 26,000 lb chassis on the 38Q. Itasca does the same on their equivalent models.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin has fiber glass roof. Think ones you mentioned have rubber roof. My Monaco has a fiber glass roof. New paid $110K. Probably not floor plan you would want. I personally would try to get into a Tiffin. Was actually my first choice except dealer accepted my crazy offer on the Monaco.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fleetwood makes many different models? Makes? Pace Arrows are higher in their food chain then Southwind and Bounder.
For your dollars I would look at the Fleetwood Terra

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Here is something you need to take into consideration. Only Tiffin and Newmar use the Ford 24,000 lbs chasis on the 35ft and larger gas coaches. All other use the 22,000. My buddy bought a new 37 Thor Challenger. Adding full gas,water hes at his max GWVR. Also the Fleetwood and Thor 36 and 37 ft coaches have a 228 inch wheel base, which is way to short for a coach that size
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
none of the above, well maybe fleewood Southwind or Bounder, Tiffin Open Road, Winnebago Siteseer or adventurer, or the Newmar Canyon Star. Im not going to bad mouth the other, but stay away from Thor, or Forest River especially Thor. Unless they have their act together as far as quality control, fit and finnish solved

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood is known for much higher quality than the other two on your list.

Youngsville? which one? Almost everywhere has used MHs available.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

The things that I would look for on a coach is:

-Fiberglass roof
-Gas generator (not propane)
-Levelers
-Livability of the coach with the slides in
-Tow rating (hopefully at least 5,000 lbs.)

Good luck,
MM.

x2
bumpy

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take it you want a gas motorhome? Personally, if I had a $100k budget right now, I'd get a used diesel pusher. The ride is so much nicer and there are a lot of advantages to a DP. And there are just tons of them out there in like new condition for under $100k. Of course I see them all the time because I'm not looking for one since I have one. It always seems that you only see all the good deals when you aren't looking. As soon as you starting looking you can't find them anyplace.

And don't limit yourself to just your area. Lots of people travel long distances to buy motorhomes.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I assume that they are all on the Ford Chassis, right? The one with the floor plan that you like the best is going to be the deciding factor. I would imagine that they would all drive about the same.

Fleetwood is now part of ARG (Allied Recreational Group) which also now owns Monaco/Holiday Rambler.

The things that I would look for on a coach is:

-Fiberglass roof
-Gas generator (not propane)
-Levelers
-Livability of the coach with the slides in
-Tow rating (hopefully at least 5,000 lbs.)

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
which ones have a fiberglass roof. that is always my first cut.
bumpy