cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oxygen Sensor

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased 2008 v-10 Ford class A with 30,000 miles. Dealership replaced oxygen sensor before delivery. 800 miles later, check engine light is back on. Diagnostics determined another oxygen sensor failure. Shop said there are four of them. Question...is 30000 about the time they start to fail?

Thanks for your response.

p.s. - Cost will be $250
12 REPLIES 12

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
roadrat57 wrote:
Purchased 2008 v-10 Ford class A with 30,000 miles. Dealership replaced oxygen sensor before delivery. 800 miles later, check engine light is back on. Diagnostics determined another oxygen sensor failure. Shop said there are four of them. Question...is 30000 about the time they start to fail?

Thanks for your response.

p.s. - Cost will be $250

The OEM 4 wire heated sensors should be good for +- 100,000 miles given no other faults. Use only OEM quality sensors. Bosch, Delphi, or Denso are best. (Motorcraft supplies but doesn't make sensors) A universal fit O2 Bosch sensor can be had for about $35.00 each. If a replaced (new OEM) sensor fails or promptly throws a code most likely there's another issue which should be investigated.

Chum lee

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go on Ebay and check out some from China. If it's not a native Denso sensor it may work just fine with yours. They should be like $25 or less on Ebay from China. They are fine on American engines.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input.

Roadrat

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Some fuel additives will kill o2 sensors

shepfly
Explorer
Explorer
If your handy I would buy the socket and do a search online for the sensors, and save yourself a wad of money. There is more than one manuf.of what you need, they even have wiring connection kits to match your stock wiring harness. Good luck, Dave

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think the O2 sensor is bad?

Perhaps it is doing what it is supposed to do...tell you when your air to fuel mixture is bad and polluting the air.

I too had O2 sensor Check Engine Light problems and replacing the O2 sensor didn't cure the problem. Cleaning the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) corrected the problem.

So I'd suggest a $10 can of MAF cleaner might help you out.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks jfkmk!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The diagnostic should tell you which sensor failed. If you don't have a scan tool, they're fairly cheap. Also, spring for an o2 sensor wrench, they're well worth it!

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
I can work on cars. My question is, how do I know which sensor to replace? I would tend to replace the forward two without a diagnostics reading.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
They should last longer then that but they only cost about $80.00 and you can change them in about 10 min with one wrench.

Moved from Forum Technical Support