cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P-30 Disc Brake Squeal

Bill_Carry
Explorer
Explorer
RVis 1994 Chevy P-30 with discs all round. Owned since new. Have 220,000 miles on it.

First front brake pad replacement @ 71000 miles with name brand aftermarket pads brought on lots of squeal. Someone suggested using only GM/Delco OEM pads. I changed the pads to GM/Delco right away and got rid of the squeal. Replaced the pads with GM/Delco again at 170,000 miles. No squeal.

This spring I replaced the pads at 220,000 miles, again with Delco. This time i get the front brake squeal in spades.

Anyone know if Delco stopped the OEM compound for these old brakes or any other reason for this problem. I know that the P-30 was famous for front brake squeal but thought I had the problem understood and under control.

Would appreciate any shared experience or advice.
1994 Georgie Boy Swinger
6.5 TD Chevy P-30
9 REPLIES 9

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
the auto supplies have a spray for the lining to caliper contact area that is supposed to help this when you change pads.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some brake pads are also slotted, I just changed pads on my tow car and the pads had a slot in the middle of the pad.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
During my working days, on several vehicles I changed rotors to slotted style to eliminate disc brake squeal. (Expensive) It also wore out pads faster.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

BULLETLS1
Explorer
Explorer
Some brake pads come with a pouch bag with some sort of adhesive(probbly is hi temp silicone painted blue!), its applied in the back of the pad , circular in the side of the piston, H shape in the opposite and on the edge of the fulcrum.
What happens is that the pads grab and for a fraction of a second they become stationary with the disc, thus microscopically vibrating, and slaping against metal to metal... this adhesive-lubricant keeps metalic parts to slap each other
I HAVE A DATE WITH ETERNITY, AND I DON´T WANT TO BE LATE!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just had my front brake pads changed yesterday after 107,000 miles and they squeal also. As a side note I had about 1/8 in of pad left on the L/H side and 1/4 in on R/H side.

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you turn the rotors? If not, that might be the problem.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a lot of squeals no squeals and such. With ours, it's usually OK with new pads for awhile. Last time I did it myself the best pads from NAPA and I think Ceramic. Now they have begun to squeal again, when they feel like it and I've decide to just let them go ahead and cry, if it makes them feel better.
If it really aggravates, try spinning the wheel without the cover installed and spraying brake cleaner on the rotor. Might help for awhile, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did that for a good 1000+ miles and no longer squeal!

They started squealing soon after the new pads were installed.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where were they made? The AC/Delco idler pulley that I got was made in China, which could explain the problem.