cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

P32 MH Engine Dying Abruptly

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1995 Georgie Boy MH on a P32 chassis with 454 eng with TBI. MH only has 37,000 miles and spent the last several months doing extensive maintenance; coil springs, airbags, ball joints, fuel filter, changed/flushed ALL fluids, check spark plugs, etc, etc. Recently took it on maiden voyage that was 360 mile round trip. On the way out and on the way back, the MH all of a sudden died, usually on the highway driving at 60mph. I would shift into neutral and it would fire right back up. This happened about 8 times total; 5 times on the highway, 2 times on surface streets (maybe 35mph) and the last time at almost a dead standstill pulling into the driveway. Everytime it died, it happened instantly with no hesitation or intermittent cutout. Environmental conditions were benign with 75-80 degree temps, no rain, water, etc. There did not seem to be any coorelation to it dying; rough roads,hard braking, hard acceleration, it just inexplicably dies. I am at a loss in terms of how to troubleshoot such an intermittent problem. I suspect it is ignition related, ECM, coil, etc, something having to do with spark plugs not firing? Any suggestions on how to move forward. There appears to be connector on driver side for the computer, but it is an older style connect that is not compatible with device I have. Does anyone know if I just need to get an adapter, or do the older computers required completely different device?
Thanks,
Greg
54 REPLIES 54

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim does it ever die at idle? I would think that if you let it idle on a hot day in you drive way even partially blocking the radiator to cause an over heat condition and it abruptly shuts down when it gets hot that would point to a failing coil, relay etc. If it does not shut down it would point to a loose ign switch or some other loose electrical connection. When it does shut down do you lose all you lights on the dash?

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
With the engine running I used a heat gun to heat up the fuel pump relay, control module, ignition coil and underside of distributor with no failures. Also just recently realized the pickup coil would be a little more painful to replace then I orginally thought; did not realize I would have to pull distributor and disasemble/reassemble the shaft. Still considering my options...
Greg

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
Shorted pins A&B and read the codes flashing on maintenance light; 12, 71, 12
Code 71 = 71 a/c evaporator temperature sensor circuit low, so no help from the computer. Would I get the same codes if I connect a laptop to the the OBD1 "serial data" pin? I don't want to hassle with this approach to see the same exact codes? Short of serial data pin revealing more codes, I will probably start with the pickup coil and/or fuel pump relay since they are fairly cheap and move on to more expensive items like ignition coil and control module?
Greg

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for all the feedback; it is greatly appreciated and will certainly help narrow down the focus. I have been on travel for the past week or so, but hope to work on it his weekend. I will be sure to let everyone know how this turns out.
Greg

JNW57
Explorer
Explorer
On my 1993 P30 with a 454, EXACTLY the same thing happened---several times. After many times and many tries to fix the problem ( a code would never register), a code finally registered. Fuel Pump Relay replaced and problem was solved.
2003 DISCOVERY 39L QUAD SLIDE
2014 HONDA CRV EX-L FWD
BLUE OX ALADDIN, M&G AIR BRAKE, KAR GUARD

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
mrdennis60 wrote:
I had a Pursuit on a 1999 workhorse chassis that had exactly the same problem. I would be driving on the interstate, engine would just quit. Before I could get off the road it would restart. My problem turned out to be the ignition module which was located on a bracket top rear of engine. My research at that time indicated high engine compartment temperature do to design was a contributing factor.

My 1990 Winnebago had the same issue when I bought it with the same resulution. I replaced the ignition module and the issue never returned.
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
How are you making out with your problem?

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
You can click on this link for instructions on how to use a paper clip to read the OBD trouble codes. I used this quite successfully to read a code and fixed a fuel pump relay problem on my 1995 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster with a 454 TBI.

Click Here.

Hope this helps isolate your problem amd please keep us posted on the final fix.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
96bounder, In seeing the way it works, it would seem if it was far enough to to cause a problem, it would chew up the pickup teeth, which should be visually obvious. Just being anal.
IRV2

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Pickup Coil and Ignition Modual in the Distributor, Have these checked.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
What year Suburban? I would be surprised if a little wobble would hurt the dizzy used in his '95.

Suburban was early 90's.Let me explain how we come to this conclusion.
The Sub belongs to a friend of mine,his problem much like the Ops was vrhicle would quit while driving down the highway.

He owns a truck with same engine and we simply changed parts between the two until we moved problem from one vehicle to the other.when we discovered problem was in dist he replaced the pickup module and coil only to find out he still had same problem.

At this point we knew problem had to be with dist so he purchased a new one and problem was solved.
The Biggest thing we could find wrong with the old one was the side movement in the old one compared to the new one so we assumed the movement was causing the old one to short resulting in no spark.

I not saying this is the ops problem,I'm only passing on what I've personally experienced with a engine that has same symptoms
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
What year Suburban? I would be surprised if a little wobble would hurt the dizzy used in his '95.
IRV2

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
96bounder wrote:
Stim wrote:
My first guess is ignition pick up in distributor.

I recently ran into a Chevrolet Suburban with basically same problem.it to had the 454 engine. owner had already replaced the coil and pickup in the distributor.
After checking-rechecking and checking again we determined problem had to be in distributor
In the end we replaced the entire distributor assembly and it cured the problem. IIRC a complete new dist actually cost about same money as the replacement parts in old one.

After vehicle was repaired I took the old distributor apart and found the shaft was worn just enough to move (wobble around)and come In contact with parts it wasn't supposed to causing an intermittent
short that would cause engine to quit.
How much wobble did the shaft have? Can you check this without removing the distributor?

Didn't check it while it was installed but it had very noticeable free play .Movement was easily seen when we compared old dist to a new one .

I borrowed this from.http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/
"Depending on the age & mileage it could ALSO be distrubutor shaft wobble or play. Most stock distributors use bushings & coupled with poor oiling in this area the bushings wear out. You must remove the unit in question & physically push the top of the shaft sideways in both directions to detect any play. if it is loose you can SEE it."
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
96bounder wrote:
Stim wrote:

I recently ran into a Chevrolet Suburban with basically same problem.it to had the 454 engine. owner had already replaced the coil and pickup in the distributor.
After checking-rechecking and checking again we determined problem had to be in distributor
In the end we replaced the entire distributor assembly and it cured the problem. IIRC a complete new dist actually cost about same money as the replacement parts in old one.

After vehicle was repaired I took the old distributor apart and found the shaft was worn just enough to move (wobble around)and come In contact with parts it wasn't supposed to causing an intermittent
How much wobble did the shaft have? Can you check this without removing the distributor?

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Stim wrote:

2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra