cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pics of My 77 Dodge Vandicraft Class B & a Tire question...

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Class B'ers!

I am new here and wanted to share some Pics of my Used Camper I just got! I also would like to hear opinions on the best tires for a 6,100-10,000 GVW van. I think I will need new tires soon! Thanks very much!!!!

Here are some pics:
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"
16 REPLIES 16

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
I am moving my Van renovation work to the DIY portion of the Class B Conversion Section so please take this journey with me there!

Thanks!

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Today I took the title in and registered the van. Other work was pulling the wiper linkage and replacing all of the broken and missing bushings...first one took a long time to get it right, but I got better at it with experience 🙂 Now that's done and re-installed, I just need to figure out why the wiper motor isn't getting any juice 😞 Also took a vent cover off and cleaned out a wasps nest! Always a fun time!

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
truepath wrote:
I really like those older classic B's. Nice score. As for tires, there are about as many opinions of what brand is best as there are people with opinions. The LT advice is absolutely correct, beyond that I would just take all the information in, see where the consensus seems to fall, look at your planned travels with respect to winter driving, gravel roads, etc. and what is available to you locally. Oh, be sure to check the manufacture date on both your old tires and on the ones you plan to buy. Tire people seem to recommend that tires be replaced regardless of wear after about 8 years and I think this is valid advice. I've seen tire dealers selling tires that are already 2 plus years old and I would reject them.

Thanks for the good advice! Now I am working to trace an electrical problem with the wiper motor. The motor works but its not getting enough voltage 😞 Also the wiper linkage bushings are shot- one linkage was bread wired together!:R

My tires will need to be dependable across the spectrum as I intend to drive the Pan American Highway with it 🙂

truepath
Explorer
Explorer
I really like those older classic B's. Nice score. As for tires, there are about as many opinions of what brand is best as there are people with opinions. The LT advice is absolutely correct, beyond that I would just take all the information in, see where the consensus seems to fall, look at your planned travels with respect to winter driving, gravel roads, etc. and what is available to you locally. Oh, be sure to check the manufacture date on both your old tires and on the ones you plan to buy. Tire people seem to recommend that tires be replaced regardless of wear after about 8 years and I think this is valid advice. I've seen tire dealers selling tires that are already 2 plus years old and I would reject them.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running Kelly tires on my unit. They were on it when I got it. My unit looks like it's sagging in back but the levels all say it isn't. The tires have a lot of life left although they may get replaced come spring if I still have it. I'm torn between keeping it and getting a trailer. A trailer will have more room inside but not the ease of moving.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Great news. Keep us updated. My fridge took a couple of days to get fully working on gas but rocks now. That is a huge savings and relief so I know the feeling. .

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I finished the cleaning as light snow fell and I took advantage of a break in it and took the van to U-Haul to get some propane in the tank. When I got back home I tested the stove, oven and turned the furnace on- all worked superbly! Fired up the fridge on propane and confirmed it as well, so all the House goodies work on Gas- Excellent 🙂

Today I think it is time to check the bad wiper motor and see if it's the wiring or the switch or the motor that's bad.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever tire you choose , get LT's with as stiff sidewall as you can find to keep wallowing to a minimum. I thought I was going to need to upgrade my shocks to Bilstiens but the tires solved the handling issues.

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Stan and Mark/Linda! I am leaning to the Coopers, but I will def look into the Terra Trac AT 2's as well!

Today I vacuumed and dusted and got 3/4 done, windexed and Lysoled LOL!

Cleaner and smells better now and I am airing it out tonight a bit as well! Tomorrow I'm on the fridge and a couple more cupboards with a trip for some propane on Monday so I can confirm that all of the appliances work. I will test house power and 12 volt for the Fridge as well after it is cleaned out as well.

Thank you for your interest and writing with advice- I will need a TON!

Mike

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
We have Copper Tire Discoverer AT's on our Excel. Love them for both off road and the highway, no added highway noise and great handling. Very good tire for wet pavement, and bonedocking in National Forests!!
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Nice rig. I put Hurcules Terra Trac AT 2's on my Class b. They are a very aggressive tread and very stiff sidewalls. They handle 2980 lbs each and were $580 mounted balanced out the door. Also have road hazard. Really firmed up the ride with little noticeable road noise.

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ol'Grouch!!

I have some scale weights on it and they are right around 6100 like yours- empty tanks as well. I will pull the hub cap today and check it out! I am looking at Copper Tire Discoverer AT's for price value and generally good reviews, what tires are you running?

Here are some interior pics:

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
10K pounds GVW? What axle are you running under the rear. If you look to gross out at 10,000 pounds, you definitely need at least 8 ply tires. Pop your rear hub cap off and look at your axle. If it's a full floating axle, yes, you can go 10,000 pounds. That will have a portion of the axle sticking through the wheel. The axle doesn't carry the weight on those but the heavy wheel bearing does. If the axle is flush with the wheel, you have a semi-floating axle. On these the axle carries the full weight in the rear.

My Class B weighs in at 6100 pounds with a full fuel tank but otherwise empty tanks and a semifloating axle. A 4 or 6 ply truck tire will work on these. I've had numerous Dodges through the years and they are really tough trucks. I've also seen semifloating axles snap from being over loaded.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Nice rig. Enjoy your travels.
How about some interior pics? 🙂