cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning a trip

hurricane0226
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from Florida to Salt Lake City towards the end of May. Just wondering if there are any places to stop for the night Between San Antonio and El Paso, looking for somewhere around Ft. Stockton or Van Horn?
FCC(SW) USN Retired
Florida.
9 REPLIES 9

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I don't stay at Walmarts (except to get supplies and rest a couple hours) but the Wallmart in Ft Stockton lets campers park there. The town itself is very quiet at night.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
hurricane0226 wrote:
Just wondering if there are any places to stop for the night Between San Antonio and El Paso, looking for somewhere around Ft. Stockton or Van Horn?
Unless things have changed, you can scratch Van Horn. They have a anti-RV ordinance, because of the KOA owner sits on the Van Horn city council and wants to make sure all RVers pay to park at his campground, and only his campground. Be extremely careful if you park anywhere in Van Horn.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Not sure it's on the way but in Amarillo there is the Big Texan Steakhouse home of the free 72 oz. steak; if you can eat it all in one hour. Of course, they have smaller steaks that you pay for at the end whether you eat it or not.
There is a nearby campground whose name escapes me.

there are several near the Big Texan. we like the Amarillo Overnight Park. quiet, clean, 5-hookups (W/E/S/Cable/WiFi) and not all that expensive. and the Big Texan will pick you up and bring you back, no charge.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure it's on the way but in Amarillo there is the Big Texan Steakhouse home of the free 72 oz. steak; if you can eat it all in one hour. Of course, they have smaller steaks that you pay for at the end whether you eat it or not.
There is a nearby campground whose name escapes me.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

hurricane0226
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the inputs. That is what we are looking for, something right off the interstate, easy off, easy on, just for the night. Will look into these mentioned, once again, thanks,
FCC(SW) USN Retired
Florida.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
there is a KOA in Van Horn that is quiet and clean. not much else in Van Horn, though. if all you're looking for is a quiet overnight it won't get much quieter.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Mike___Fran
Explorer
Explorer
Ck out Hilltop rv park at Ft. Stockton. It's new and looks very nice. Ck it out on Rv park reviews, good ratings.....

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
We just came east through that area. We stayed at an awesome park, North LLano River RV Park in Junction. $33/night. The Fort Stockton RV Park appeared to have a lot of permanent residents and didn't appeal to us. In Van Horn, the nicest park was Desert Willow. Nothing fancy, but friendly owners and a clean quiet park. $25/night....Pictures of both parks are on my blog below under Big Rig Campsites.....Dennis

The Ft. Stockton RV Park is perfect for a one night stop. Dennis is correct that there are a lot of semi-permanent residents there but it is easy off/easy on the free way, sites are easy to navigate, used to be a KOA, the lady in the office is very nice and I talked to a number of the permanent people there and they were very nice. (I will talk to anyone!) Certainly not a destination but when we stop for a one night I prefer close to the freeway and easy in and out. This one fits that bill.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just came east through that area. We stayed at an awesome park, North LLano River RV Park in Junction. $33/night. The Fort Stockton RV Park appeared to have a lot of permanent residents and didn't appeal to us. In Van Horn, the nicest park was Desert Willow. Nothing fancy, but friendly owners and a clean quiet park. $25/night....Pictures of both parks are on my blog below under Big Rig Campsites.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG