cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with a tire question.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we needed tires, we got Goodyear's. My husband loved driving on these tires. Well, we need tires again but I need help with a question.

We use a dealership that we trust, but they do not have the rv tires in stock, they order them. I told the man I spoke to what tires I wanted. I also said that I wanted fresh tires-six months or less. The dealership called today-they have the tires but are almost one year old.

Now, the dealership is willing to send the tires back, and try again, but the same thing might happen.

Would you keep the tires, try again, or get another brand?

Thank you.
Kathy
26 REPLIES 26

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
You asked for opinion.. mine is use them .. my reasoning is ..
Six year old tires ( 1 year old changed in 5 years ) wouldn’t be a problem for me . You change your tires much more frequently than I do (I change out at 7years ) so in my mind the tires are fine. Tires are such a hot topic on how frequently you should replace 5-10 years seems to be the range. With people becoming hardened on their opinion
If you strictly follow your 5 year max rule which is “conservative “ in my mind then yes you’d need to replace at 4 years “use.”. How flexible ore you at going to 6 years , well within most people’s comfort zone?
In my case since I go 7 years I might be more concerned about 1year old tires
Bill

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Six years should be fine in my opinion, especially as you live in a relatively cool northern state.

Here's an interesting finding from NHTSA, some data from a major US insurer about claims:
"27% policyholders from five warm weather states (TX, CA, LA, FL, AZ) accounted for 77% of all claims nationwide and 84% of those claims involved tires older than 6 years."

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use these tires. No.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the Goodyear website:

WHEN DOES THE G670 RV WARRANTY END?
The new tire coverage of this warranty ends when the
treadwear indicators become visible or five (5) years
from the date of purchase, whichever occurs first. The
only exception is weather cracking, which carries a
seven (7) year warranty from the date of purchase
or when the treadwear indicators become visible,
whichever occurs first. Without proof of purchase, date
of manufacture will be used to determine eligibility.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, let me try again...

My husband likse the ride of the Goodyear tires we currently have on our motorhome better than any other tires we have ever had.

We regularly change our rv tires at the end of a five year time cycle.

Our dealership got us tires that our not quite one year old. The dealership says they cannot request a specific age for a tire, but they can send tires back and try again. Naturally, the date on the tires can be just as old the second time.

Would you:

ask to try again

use these tires

And, a question: if we go with the year old tires, does this simply mean that we need to get them changed at the end of four years, instead of five?

Thank you.
Kathy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't get too fussy about 1 year old tires. It's not like they're sitting in the sun all day.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
You must have a very good dealership. A lot of the talk I'm reading would be shown the door with a smile.

One other way to look at it. You're OK with 6 month tires, so they are just 6 months older then what your ideal is.

You can always ask for a discount. I doubt they will give you a discount on the age, but may wave the fees that get applied to a tire purchase just because they are a good dealership and don't want to lose a good customer that trusts their professional judgement vs Internet experts.

Good Luck.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might also tell them that you will take those tires for a 20% discount.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 they can call, insist on the age date been there, p.s those year old tires have been rotting for one year, all ready,

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Goodyear dealer should be able to call their warehouse to check on dates of tires and specify.
If your dealer doesn't want to, call around.
Year old tires, might work for a big discount!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are they going on?
Size?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II