cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Potential Full Timer - National Tropi-cal good choice?

roadtriptoforev
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Diesel Pusher - National Tropi-Cal

Miles 53899

Seems to be in good shape. Gonna have a mechanic look at it though and do a full inspection

ANy known issues with these guys?
23 REPLIES 23

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
National made a good product. The Tropical, Dolphin and a couple of other models were very stylish when they were made and still look that way today. The only thing you could damage on that coach that you couldn't buy now is a front or rear cap. There are numerous companies still in business that you could no longer buy an older front or rear cap.

Everything else is available and there is an owner's forum that will tell you where there hidden relay is located or the brand of mirror.

If it's in good shape, you'll be happy with it.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
MSMITH1199: My info was regarding the availability of parts. Not who pays for anything...but yes: if a front or rear cap needs replacing, something MAJOR as occured.
And...I believe the name of the company that now has the NationaRV cap (and storage doors?)molds is ORTEGA in California.

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
We could not be more happy with our 2004 National Tropical T-396. Bought it new in Jan 2004...now has 125k miles and running like new.

Driven it to every state (except Hawaii) and every Canadian Province. We had zero warranty issues and never had a reason to seek assistance from National. Their demise a few years after we purchased,has never affected us. Its a good, solid coach, well built and easy to maintain.

We spend about six months each year in our coach and are ready to began our 12th season in about two weeks.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 1999 National Tradewinds and we are very happy with it. Had it since 03 and have had very few problems. Fan motor for furnace, water heater element, and other minor issues which all motorhomes incur. Check it over before you buy and enjoy a well constructed coach.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 1999 National Tradewinds and we are very happy with it. Had it since 03 and have had very few problems. Fan motor for furnace, water heater element, and other minor issues which all motorhomes incur. Check it over before you buy and enjoy a well constructed coach.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it passes the inspection I say "buy it". As others have said, being an 'orphan' doesn't matter. Parts can be found. We have friends with older Nationals and are quite satisfied with their RVs.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
roadtriptoforever wrote:
2003 Diesel Pusher - National Tropi-Cal

Miles 53899

Seems to be in good shape. Gonna have a mechanic look at it though and do a full inspection

ANy known issues with these guys?

I have a 2004 National Tropical DP. I bought it brand new and I've been happy with it over the years. It is a coach that it's the medium to lower end of the DP market, but it's solid. It has a all steel frame as opposed to aluminum that others use. It also has a one piece fiberglass roof that is preferred by many and at the time I bought mine, the one piece fiberglass was generally only available on much more expensive motorhomes.

I've had minor problems over the years but mostly stuff I fixed myself. The seal between the roof and my front cap has leaked a few times and I just ordered an Eternabond tape kit to seal it and seal the back cap too while I'm at it. Hopefully that will fix that problem. But overall I'm happy with it. Mine is only 35 foot and if I was going to full time I'd want something bigger, but with the three slides I have I could probably full time in it if I wanted to.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerseyjim wrote:
I too have an "orphan" coach. And...by NationalRV. A 2001 gasser "Dolphin". Aside from the chassis, the motorhome part of it...replacements...are no problem. Stove, a/c units, fridge, etc.,etc. are all readily available from many suppliers. Electrical gremlins happen in any coach. Body parts..like the front and rear caps? The molds were bought by a shop in California....mentioned here on the forum a few times. If you're unfortunate to need one, they can duplicate it.

I suggest perhaps you can find a current RV dealer that did carry your NationalRV coach...he and his staff might still be willing and able to assist.

Good luck

In the event you ever need a front or a rear cap, odds are the reason you need them will be something that is covered by your insurance. So it's their problem to pay for them. And if my insurance company thought that would be a huge problem they would have jacked my insurance rates up when National went out of business, but they didn't.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:
Simple example you pull up to pay a toll only to find out it's one of those very narrow toll booths. You end up clipping a mirror. That mirror will be made by someone, but who? No toll free number to call to find out. Hand it over to the bump shop and hope they can figure it out. Of course if you don't mind paying them to figure it out, no problem.

Another example, slide won't come out. Turns out there is a relay that is buried from sight. The tech support line knows it there and they know it's a common problem. The RV repair guy and you have no clue, but will find it sooner or later but you're on your own.

Maybe the used coach didn't come with a wiring diagram and your door handle doesn't light up. It's probably a fuse or some little switch, but the coach has multiple places to check and will take a half day to go thru them all. Would be nice to have a wiring diagram for the next time something simple like that goes so you're not wasting all your time chasing down a line.

The list goes on. Does that stuff stop you from buying an orphan coach of course not. Should you factor that into your overall price, I would.

Then how about those little decorative items on the outside when they go bad and start making that nice coach look like it qualifies for the 10 year old rule.....:B

I have the owners manual for the mirrors in a nice little case that National gave me that has the owners manuals for everything else they made the motorhome out of. Everything from the steps, to the appliances, to the TV's, to the Inverter, to the generator, and everything in between. The circuit breakers and fuses are all easy to find and I've never needed a wiring diagram to find them.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:
RayChez wrote:
Yes National is out of business, but I am sure the chassis is no different then all those Freightliner chassis out there on many different brands. You will have no problems getting service on a Freight liner chassis.

It's the small things that will drive you crazy, not the major stuff like chassis/engine. Honestly, how often does the major stuff go vs all the little junk. When you have an orphan RV you're on your own, that is one reason they sell for a discount.

Please tell me what small stuff there is in a National RV that you couldn't get fixed at any RV place? Or get the parts and fix yourself? I have a National RV and it doesn't bother me in the least that they are out of business. All National built themselves on my motorhome is the frame, the front and rear caps, and that's about it. I don't know if they even make the dash or of that is just standard stuff. What National did was assembled my motorhome using parts mostly made by other companies that are all still in business.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the National RV Owner's Forum. Lots of good info there.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

roadtriptoforev
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna get a Good Sam Warranty if that makes any difference

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
RayChez wrote:
Yes National is out of business, but I am sure the chassis is no different then all those Freightliner chassis out there on many different brands. You will have no problems getting service on a Freight liner chassis.

It's the small things that will drive you crazy, not the major stuff like chassis/engine. Honestly, how often does the major stuff go vs all the little junk. When you have an orphan RV you're on your own, that is one reason they sell for a discount.

National is NOT the only manufacturer out of business. So, I wouldn't discount ANY manufacturer when purchasing a used rig. You still need to do you HOMEWORK no matter what....Remember, all of these MH's all have the same components in them. That fridg, water heater, and microwave are most likely still being built. It's just the house part that's not.

-paul