cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Steps Not Working

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 Allegro Open Road 32BA, and the power steps have quit working, they are in the closed position but will not come out when the door is opened, there isn't any sound... it's like there isn't any power going to he step motor, is there a fuse I can check? If so where is it located?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
8 REPLIES 8

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug I think you are right about the motor, after 3 to 4 hits with a hammer it went back to working...I am going to replace the motor...thanks
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
AikenRacer2 wrote:
Be sure the door magnet has not fallen off if it has one. Have seen this happen many times.

I should have stated to be clear. IF you follow my way to test, this verifies ALL connections, except the ON/OFF kill switch, which will be bypassed with the engine ON. Doug

AikenRacer2
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure the door magnet has not fallen off if it has one. Have seen this happen many times.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug is exactly right. My last coach, the power steps motor went out and had to be replaced two different times.

Something about electric motors out exposed to the elements like that, with time they just wear out. On last coach, I replaced the step motor twice, the awning motor, and hydraulic jack motor over the course of about 10 years owning that rig. Never had any trouble with motors that were inside, protected from the elements.

You might get lucky and find its something jammed up, or the door sensor, but I'm betting its the motor. They aren't that expensive, and you can replace it yourself (I did both times). Can be a challenge getting new motor lined up and all those spacers in place, but it is doable.

Oh, and yes, be very careful when working with those steps, like already said. They can take a finger off if you aren't careful.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Twice with mine in the last 20 years, the grease in the gear box dried up. I had to clean out the old grease and install fresh.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
With Engine ON, open and close the entry door. IF the underneath orange step light comes on and off when the door is opened and closed, your wiring and fuses(so far) are OK. The most COMMON fault if the previous checks out is a dead armature on the motor. With the engine running, open and close the door and HIT the motor with a hammer. Do this until the step extends. Once the step is extended, you can easily replace the motor. Odds are the step will operate now, but with a dead armature spot will fail again. Replace the motor while the steps are extended. Doug

PS, the steps assbly's NEVER need any type cover. The controls and motor are sealed from the elements.

My buddy has a class A that he had that problem all the time...

He was very faithful with lubrication also..

He went and got a piece of aluminum sheet and we fabricated a bottom and side "cover" to protect them from road debris while travelling. That new cover stays on 100% of the time.

With proper lubrication and that cover , he has had zero issues so far.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
The most common culprit I ever had with steps was a bad ground. Also, is it lubed? Next I would check the door switch if it's getting power. And goes without saying, is your battery disconnect off? Always use caution when messing with the steps, they can claim a finger if you aren't careful.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS