cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Dometic Elite dual fuel refrigerator RM7732

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Dometic Elite dual fuel (electric / LP) side by side refrigerator Freezer in our 1997 American Dream, Model RM7732.

It works great on electric but has been reluctant to start on LP. Once started it runs fine. (LP detector is on in the coach)

It usually takes several attempts to start it on LP. By this I mean you turn it on and after a short period of time the check light comes on.

When you start it you can hear a solenoid click, but never hear the LP fire up. When you check out side you can smell LP.

Once it does fire it runs fine for the whole weekend.

I have given up on RV service centers as they do not seem to repair things correctly.

The chimney is clean, I believe it is a problem with the igniter.

Is there someone that can walk me through a check out procedure to identify the failed component?

I am handy, have tools and multimeter.

Just found this, Service manual for RM7030 and RM7732
26 REPLIES 26

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
Ok....so....with the last update I left everyone hanging on the edge of their seats with this problem with the extra bracket and screw.

I would like to say that I have the perfect solution to the answer but I do not, I do have a partial solution.

enblethen provided a parts break out of the refrigerator. Atwood Water Heater manual

Below is pictured the important page.

1)It shows the "short" thermocouple I need, and the reason why (the long one will hit the gas solenoid).

The problem is the part number associated with the short thermocouple is the part number on the long one I have received. I just hope the new one that is coming is the correct one and the first one was bagged incorrectly. My thinking is it will be the same and the part has been superseded. The only good part of this is the old thermocouple is working just fine.

2) In the parts break out there is the angle bracket and screw that I had left over (it is circled in red, in the diagram above).

The perplexing thing is the bracket I have left over does not fit in that spot, and the machine screw does not go into the hole on the burner.

So I made some modifications to the bracket, I drilled a new hole and created a slot for the wires on the thermocouple to come through.

So here you see the burner apart for the fifth time, you can see the screw hole is offset from the thermocouple, and the collar on the thermocouple. The new hole in the bracket lines up with the original hole in the burner, and a new stainless steal screw has been found that fits the hole, and the new slot in the bracket fits over the thermocouple, but not the anodized collar on the thermocouple, so the thermocouple is now retained in the burner.

Old bracket in the new configuration screwed in place.

This new configuration was tested this weekend and worked.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure what water heater you have. Here Atwood manual
Atwood Water Heater manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I do not have this style in my rig. In the old rig the "L" bracket held the thermocouple shell tight to the housing. It had a little metal spacer type unit that slide over the thermal couple and had a flair end where the clip was.
Going by old memory!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Looks like to me the thermal couple they sent is the wrong one. Look at part 111 if this is the correct serial numbers.
Parts breakdown

That is perfect, the problem is part 111 thermocouple for product 921148008 is part number 2931826024 which is that part number they sent.

The thermocouple drawn in the diagram is the one I need. Short with the wires coming right out of the end.

If you look at part number 123 it appears to be the angle bracket (retainer) that I have left over, but it does not fit in that spot.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like to me the thermal couple they sent is the wrong one. Look at part 111 if this is the correct serial numbers.
Parts breakdown

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Make sure that the drain is solid and actually leaks water under the rig. A plugged lower portion could allow water to drip into operating components.
Water heater should have a small collar that is slide toward or away from the gas valve and orifice. Make sure that the burner tube is coming straight off the orifice so gas goes through the burner tube center. Suggest cleaning the burner tube. The critters like to build webs and nests in them.

I see the collar with the slots in it and understand that this is where the air is mixed with the gas, how is this adjusted to get the right burn?

I will check the drain.

I have two problems now with the refrigerator.

1) The thermocouple arrived from Dometic.

The invoice has the correct serial number, model number and product code on the invoice.

The thermocouple however is way to long.

The one in the burner is only as long as the black anodized tube on the new one. The tube ends there on the original one and the wires make a 90 degree turn and run in back off the gas solenoid. The new one will not fit as the copper tube would need to run right through the gas solenoid.

I have called Dometic, they are sending a second one at no charge, and they think it is bagged incorrectly. I looked one up on fee-bay and it looks like the one that Dometic sent me.

2) I have the dreaded extra parts left over. I do not understand it. I took pictures the whole time, I was very careful, but I have this bracket and screw left over.

On the bracket the screw fits like it should be in the hole, there is only one hole, and it is not threaded.

The underside is sort of clean like it was up against something. The bracket shows no sign that the screw was ever installed in the bracket (no clean areas or scratch marks).

The screw is a machine screw, not a sheet metal screw.

I have reviewed all the pictures I took while taking the unit apart, I have taken the unit apart twice now and can find no place where this would have gone.

It does look like there should have been a bracket on the end of the burner to hold the thermocouple in place but there wasn't one when I took the unit apart. This bracket will not fit in that location.

HELP!!!!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure that the drain is solid and actually leaks water under the rig. A plugged lower portion could allow water to drip into operating components.
Water heater should have a small collar that is slide toward or away from the gas valve and orifice. Make sure that the burner tube is coming straight off the orifice so gas goes through the burner tube center. Suggest cleaning the burner tube. The critters like to build webs and nests in them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
So...I have a race this weekend so I wanted to get a jump on putting the refrigerator back together.

Here is the burner and igniter as they were removed.

I took everything apart and soaked the pieces in alcohol, good thing I have a blown mechanically injected alcohol burning front engine dragster.

I examined the orifice carefully for obstructions. Do not try and pock something through the hole in the nozzle, look carefully at this photo there is a clear (maybe mica) washer in the end of the nozzle)

There is a very small hole in that washer.

If you look at the nozzle from the other end against a light the hole looks quite large, it is temping to try and find something that size and clean the inside of the nozzle, DON'T DO IT

So after soaking everything, I used a scotch bright pad to go over all the pieces and reassembled the burner. By that way this dumb thing is put together with metric nuts and bolts.

I cleaned the end of the igniter with some emery paper and adjusted the igniter gap to 3/16 of an inch.

I ran a vacuum cleaner over the whole inside of the case, tapped gently on the chimney until no more rust pieces fell out.

The Thermocouple still has not arrived yet, but as it is not that much work I put the burner back into the refrigerator. I also cleaned the ground to the spark coil. I fired the unit up and it started the first time.

I had been concerned that there was no drip tube to catch the condensation from the coil inside the refrigerator, turns out America Dream had a better idea than hanging it out through the cover, there is an internal drain, note the yellow tubing.

So...I will stop here and wait for the new thermocouple to arrive, install it, clean the frame, apply new silicone, and put the cover back on.

I'm cleaning up the outside frame and the more I clean the more it appears the frame was not originally sealed with silicone, but a material more like plumbers
putty. Any thoughts?

Next will the hot water heater, as it is also temperamental, some times it will not fire either and we have to use the electric heater in the hot water heater, which means running the generator and it takes a long time to heat up.

Any advice on cleaning and adjustment of the burner in the hot water heater, How do you adjust the mixture of gas and air on the burner?

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't forgotten to update this thread, I'm still waiting on the thermocouple to come to put this back together

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It may have just rusted out. Looks like some rust in tray at bottom of the stack. Heat and cold and a little moisture.
When you put new one in, make sure the back portion is tight to other metal. This may stop electrolysis if that is of concern. Doesn't look like electrolysis.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
vegasfoodguy wrote:
I rv wrote:
on mine (same model) it was the flame sensor,it is incorporated in the spark igniter,(spark electrode)very easy to change and inexpensive. good luck.

Unplug the igniter from the control board, clean the connections well, reroute the wire away from grounded pipes, it may be losing spark by jumping to ground.

Terry.

Good tip, will do.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I rv wrote:
on mine (same model) it was the flame sensor,it is incorporated in the spark igniter,(spark electrode)very easy to change and inexpensive. good luck.

Unplug the igniter from the control board, clean the connections well, reroute the wire away from grounded pipes, it may be losing spark by jumping to ground.

Terry.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
GlennLever wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Your control module is current design. Doug

What do you think of the thermocouple?

REPLACE IT. DOUG

Already ordered, what I meant was would it cause the unit not to fire?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
GlennLever wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Your control module is current design. Doug

What do you think of the thermocouple?

REPLACE IT. DOUG