cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progressive cut my rate in half

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance with Allstate on my 02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c was $1,150 annually. They wouldn't let me have a deductible higher than $500 for collision and comprehensive.

$100 a month for insurance seemed high to me, so I shopped Progressive online. My rate dropped to $520 a year, with $1,000 deductible, 100/300 uninsured, underinsured and $40,000 PIP. I switched on the spot. Called the number on the website and talked to an agent who referenced my quote number. Pretty painless.

I'm almost 60 and have a clean driving and claims history. I can't understand the huge price difference with only the small deductable change.

Will I get a similar reduction when I have them price my auto/motorcycle/homeowners insurance?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
20 REPLIES 20

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
We have an ins agent and had the house, cars and TT all in one place. When we traded the TT for our MH our agent said we should go with Progressive for the MH and keep everything else like it was. When Progressive renewed after the first year the price went down, a small amount but down. We'll see what happens next year.

Our Allstate agent told us similar - after the hail storms and floods our RV insurance doubled because of the zip code it is stored at. The agent helped us shop and we landed with Safeco for the RV but kept the rest with him.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
You let your insurance expire just because the RV is parked? So no coverage for fire or for a tree falling on it or any liability coverage?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
People have different, yet similar, experiences with all the insurance companies. My entire life, whenever my insurance was due, I've always spent a few minutes checking with other companies, and let my agent know I was doing so. That was back in the days when I had an agent.

Since I went full timing 12 years ago I have had the best luck ONLY shopping online. You get an agent involved, they're going to quote you a premium price over the online price. I've had to drop one company and move to another to avoid that sort of thing. Progressive to Geiko and back again.

I tend to stay with Progressive lately because they have the best price for me and my rolling stock but if they up the policy price too much I let the policy expire and rebuy online (they've only done that a couple times though, usually it's not much of an increase...sometimes it's a decrease). One of the benefits of parking the rig somewhere for a couple months at a time is that I can do without insurance.

So for me, the trick to keeping my insurance reasonable is to buy online, and occasionally park the rig and let it expire when the rates jump too much for my liking.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I had Progressive Insurance before I was married. After marriage my wife switched me to Geico and saved me $900.00 every sixth months on my insurance from Progressive. I felt like Progressive was ripping me off on rates and I haven't dealt with them since.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jspringator wrote:
My insurance with Allstate on my 02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c was $1,150 annually. They wouldn't let me have a deductible higher than $500 for collision and comprehensive.

$100 a month for insurance seemed high to me, so I shopped Progressive online. My rate dropped to $520 a year, with $1,000 deductible, 100/300 uninsured, underinsured and $40,000 PIP. I switched on the spot. Called the number on the website and talked to an agent who referenced my quote number. Pretty painless.

I'm almost 60 and have a clean driving and claims history. I can't understand the huge price difference with only the small deductable change.

Will I get a similar reduction when I have them price my auto/motorcycle/homeowners insurance?

Just depends if an how bad they want your business.
It sorta kinda depends on what your rig is insured for and assuming that the company doesn't go my MSRP.
Example....and if the NADA is say $100K at low book on your rig and they accept $50K for it's insured value, then obviously the premium is gonna be a lot cheaper than if it was insured for a $100K.
Now if you should have a total loss, they still have to pay you approx. retail book for it, which could be as much as $120K.
Naturally, as time goes by, it depreciates even further, but no insurance company lowers your rate as a matter of common practice and if anything, will raise it and another reason to shop around every so often.
In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of RV's around that were insured for twice their value and by the same token, if a total loss should occur, they will only get what it's actually worth. Also might be totaled for what seems like minimal damage. Had that happen once and finally got a cheaper estimate for less dollars to keep the coach and then fixed it myself for a much much smaller amount.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you who constantly switch insurance companies for the lowest rate, you put yourself in danger if you ever have a claim. If you get in an accident and you've only been with an insurance company a year or two, there is a real good chance they will cancel your policy after paying the claim. Then good luck getting insurance. But if you still with the same company you are much more likely to be forgiven for one accident and not canceled. Jumping around for the best price every year or two may save money, unless you actually have to use that insurance. I'm in the process of changing my car insurance this month from Farmers to USAA. I've been with Farmers since 1977 so this will be my first change ever for my cars. So once I switch I know there is no going back. And I just hope I don't have a claim in the first year or two with the new company.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
After switching Insurance Companies more times than I can count, we have finally settled on AMICA. RV, 3 Cars (with teenage driver!) and a house. Premiums have not gone up since we switched, and they have a dividend program that makes it even cheaper.
This summer, we had a microburst come through our back yard, taking out a branch, that crushed a small pool, and a few shingles off the roof. Agent came the next day, took a couple of pictures...check was in our hands within a week!
Great prices, great service, great claims...and no, I do not work for Amica.
Dave, Janeen, Lane, Mady and Brooke
Coventry, RI

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
After switching Insurance Companies more times than I can count, we have finally settled on AMICA. RV, 3 Cars (with teenage driver!) and a house. Premiums have not gone up since we switched, and they have a dividend program that makes it even cheaper.
This summer, we had a microburst come through our back yard, taking out a branch, that crushed a small pool, and a few shingles off the roof. Agent came the next day, took a couple of pictures...check was in our hands within a week!
Great prices, great service, great claims...and no, I do not work for Amica.
Dave, Janeen, Lane, Mady and Brooke
Coventry, RI

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
We have an ins agent and had the house, cars and TT all in one place. When we traded the TT for our MH our agent said we should go with Progressive for the MH and keep everything else like it was. When Progressive renewed after the first year the price went down, a small amount but down. We'll see what happens next year.

In the 5 years we've had Progressive for our motorhome coverage, the premiums went down slightly one year, and up only $15-20 the other years. The only time we saw a significant increase of about $110 is when we moved up to a 6 years newer coach. And that increase was entirely expected...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

You've got a really good agent. With all the weird questions my Allstate agent was asking me about the motorhome (original purchase price) I should have known they didn't really want to insure motorhomes.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, this kind of bait and switch seems to be the norm now. Just like the cable/phone/satellite companies. I will be requesting qoutes from other companies this year as my State Farm insurance has steadily been climbing (2x-3x the inflation rate) since I switched to them.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corkey05 wrote:
Captain_Happy wrote:
I was with Geico for years. Every year there rates keep going up, years after year. I had no claims in all those years. So I called progressive, they quoted me a rate a lot lower then Geico, and more coverage to boot. And now after a year on Progressive, there rates are going up. So here's the deal. Insurance quote you a lower rate to get you to switch to there company and in a year or two the rates start going up, and you've had a claims. it's a game they all play. So when my policy comes due next year I'll looking to see if there's a cheaper company out there I can switch too. And believe me, I hate switching every year or two.
You pretty much sum it up.

I've had Progressive since my coach was new. My original premium as $1155 per year, this year it was $2144, almost double. It has increased on the avg of $141 a year.

I like Progressive, but in light of the fact I've had zero claims, pay the whole year in full in one payment, and have an excellent credit rating, I can no longer support keeping them. Granted they've given me "risk free" status that removes my deductible, but that's of no comfort when the premium comes due.

So, ... this year my money will go to another provider. And the game starts.

My Progressive insurance also kept going up until I figured out why. If you've been with them since your RV was new, you probably have total loss replacement coverage that gives you your full purchase price in the event your RV is totaled. My RV was coming up on 10 years old and I found out that if I was to total it, Progressive would pay my full original purchase price toward the purchase of a new motorhome. So even though my motorhome was worth about 1/3rd of the original purchase price it was covered for full price. Now I agree that sounds like a great deal, but it's also expensive to maintain that coverage. So I contacted progressive and had my total loss coverage reduced to my loan balance. The loan balance is more than the value of the motorhome and that's all the coverage I really need. Cut my premium by about 30%.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will see what happens, but we had our first renewal of our full-timers policy with Progressive in S Dakota and both our deductible and premium went down. We do have our car, motorcycles and motorhome insured with them. No house. When you have multiple things, it's usually better to look at the total annual cost of everything instead of each individual policy and keep them together for the discounts.