cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane heater and refridg

cruzkid
Explorer
Explorer
Is it safe to run heater and refridg on propane while under way?
7 REPLIES 7

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My Allegro Motorhome Owners Manual says to shut off all gas appliances and the shut-off valve at the propane tank while underway. It says that in the event of a serious accident where propane lines may rupture, no gas would be flowing to them.

Like someone else said, my fridge stays cold for several hours after I shut it off. I usually turn it on the night before a trip, load it with cold stuff and then shut it off just before we get underway.

With regard to running the A/C, I do it all the time. I don't have cab a/c so I need to run the generator and sometimes both AC units. I can't think of any dangers associated with this.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Yes to both. We did have a fridge fire (norcold) but it was stationary when it happened. The heat shield prevented it from spreading but there was lots of charred wood. We switched to a residential.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are basically two dangers.. Blow out and fridge fires.

Now on modern DSI systems (Furnace and Fridge are both DSI, or Direct Spark Ignition) if it blows out the unit will attempt to re-light, if that fails it will lock out.. Very good interlocks and flame sensors. All failure modes are "SAFE" (no gas flows) except for stuck valve, and I've never heard of a valve sticking OPEN.

Fridge fires: My personal feeling is this: If it's going to happen, it is going to happen.

Now, many campgrounds are a bit tight.. I recall one where with my slides out and my neighbor's slides out, walking between the two rigs required a zig-zag path because our slides extended past each other.. Imagine you are on such a site and the fridge catches fire... and the half million dollar Prevost next to you also is ignited by your fridge. (That's goign to be one UNHAPPY insurance agent trust me).

Or.. Same fire going down the road, The driver of the Prevost sees the smoke and changes lanes and makes an effort to alert you...

In both cases your rig is toast.. but at least his is not even blistered.

That said: Fridge fires are actually fairly uncommon, And both Norcold and Dometic have taken steps to reduce that posibility and Mac The Fire Guy has equipment to deal with it BEFORE the rest of the rig catches fire if you google and contact him or meet him at an FMCA rally.

(I like Mac. He is a man who KNOWS what he is talking about)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Both answers are good and as robsouth suggested, get the facts and make a decision. I'll throw another thing into the mix, "how about running the House AC while underway"? Some of us have and some of us have never found the need.

When a vacumm line fell apart from old age and the effects of heat, I ran mine to keep the DW a "Happy Wife". I could stand the 110 degree outside temp, I ONLY ran it for HER.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I run the fridge all the time.
Never had a reason or need for the furnace while driving.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
You will soon find that some say "Yes, I do it all the time", and some say "You might can do it, but I don't take that chance." Read all the responses you are going to get and make up your mind what is best for you. I am one of the ones that don't simply because I never felt the need to do so. My fridge will stay cold enough for at least 4-5 hours travel time with out running. My furnace will warm up a cold camper in just a few minutes so I see no need to run it while traveling. Happy Trails.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."