cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank inside or outside of RV?

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking my class C (27') up to the mountains this weekend where there will be no electrical hookups. I'm using my recently purchased Camco Wave 6 cat heater. On previous trips, I cracked a window and ran the propane hose outside to a 20 lb propane tank. But recently, started having problems with regulator freezing on the tank that I suspect was cutting off gas to the Wave 6 heater.

Can you all remind me what the risks are of keeping the tank inside the RV? Is it a gas leak issue, explosive issue? I've seen some folks build a small compartment for the propane tank and keep it inside.

Thanks all!
29 REPLIES 29

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BB_TX wrote:
Here is one explanation of cold and propane.
The freezing point of propane is -44 degrees Fahrenheit. The coldest temperature recorded in Newburgh is -20?F. So thereโ€™s not much reason to be concerned about your propane freezing.

It is illegal to have a pressurized propane tank inside your RV. Here is why: https://youtu.be/XQM3mbUtboQ?t=22

You mean the boiling point. The freezing point is about -306 F

Another issue is that in the south in summer time butane may be added to the propane. The boiling point is much higher for butane.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Propane actually does freeze solid at -306.4F. Below that you could skip the bucket and carry it as a brick. Wear gloves ๐Ÿ˜‰

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Propane does not freeze, it does have a boiling point of -44.3f. at that temp there is no pressure in the vessel. Butanes boiling point is + 32f. Commonly sold in the south in like Mexico are a blend which raises the boiling point
As a liquid boils into a gas in a vessel, it cools the vessel, thats why you see frost on the outside if it, the relativy humidity condenses on the outside of the vessel. A/Cs, all cooling units work onthe same principal.
With high demand on a small vessel like a 20# vs a 250 gal home tank the chilling of the liquid inthe small tank as it boils into vapor will seriously chill the liquid resulting in lower ptessure, giving the visual effect of freezing of the regulator. Relative humidity will condense on a part colder than 100% RH The freezing on the outside is water RH freezing on the outside of the tank and regulator, not the propane inside it.
Keep tanks larger than 1# outside, warm the tank, thats what your hot water pour on it did. You got the pressure back by warming the tank.
Learn propane properties easy on wikipedia.
I poured and carried propane in a bucket at -53f, Long Lac, On. Jan. 94

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My propane furnace worked perfectly in my house at -30 degrees a couple of years ago. My TT furnace worked perfectly at -10 degrees during deer season last year. We turned the furnace down to about 45 degrees overnight to help the battery last better. My regulator never froze up on us. My tanks were full on the TT and the tank at home was about 60% going into the extreme cold.
Maybe your heater shut down due to the oxygen depletion sensor shutting off your heater (if it has one.)
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Here is one explanation of cold and propane.

The freezing point of propane is -44 degrees Fahrenheit. The coldest temperature recorded in Newburgh is -20?F. So thereโ€™s not much reason to be concerned about your propane freezing.

But thatโ€™s not the end of the story.

While itโ€™s unlikely your propane will freeze here, it can still be affected by very cold temperatures. Propane contracts when itโ€™s cold. When itโ€™s extremely cold outside, the volume of propane inside your aboveground propane tank will shrink, which creates a loss of pressure. The problem is, if the pressure becomes too low, the propane inside your tank will not be able to reach your gas burner. That means you may not be able to run your propane appliances, including your furnace or boiler, which can be very problematic in severe cold.

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that. I was going to hold off on linking it to my RV lines until I knew how long I was keeping this unit. Going with the 20 lb tank outside for now.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I just read an article from RVtravel.com on the dangers of bringing a propane tank inside. Since you have the catalytic heater, I'd also suggest to connect it permanently to your existing lines.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
Got it. Well I'll stick with my outside 20lb tank powering the Olympian Wave 6 in the RV and see how this weekend goes. I definitely can't rely on the RV furnace as it takes too much from the house battery.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Frost on the outside of the cylinder or the regulator is not "freezing up". The cylinder will have a reduced temperature as the propane turns to vapor in the cylinder and again expands within the regulator.

I suspect you were just low on propane and the vaporization was slowing down. The warm water would have increased the rate of vaporization. May also have some Butane in the mix that does not vaporize very well at low temperatures.

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the explanation. I had this problem dry camping at Mt Baker in January where the 20lb propane tank appeared to be freezing up then the regulator freezing up, then the gas fire started to go out. Until we poured hot water on the regulator and the fire came back. Inside the RV, the Wave 6 was putting out heat but pretty minimally so I suspected (but didn't confirm) the same thing was happening with freezing regulators.

Looking at this article, I wonder if how I transported or stored the propane tank could have caused this.
www.propane101.com/propaneregulatorfreezing.htm

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
No not advisable at all. People store them inside, some may use them, but i wouldn't. Whats up with the propane regulater? And how cold does it get? I dont think a regulater should freeze from the cold. In fact the house we used to have in lake george had an above ground propane tank, it worked fine. And it was cold there. Maybe you need a new regulater, or have another problem. Did the propane shut off or the heater? If you dont have enough make up air the unit will shut down. This is so you dont die from co or lack of oxygen. Likewise thats why its not a good idea to store or use propane inside. If it leaks or tips over and the head breaks , propane expands like 270 times displacing the oxygen in the area.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
rvtwerner wrote:
I'm taking my class C (27') up to the mountains this weekend where there will be no electrical hookups. I'm using my recently purchased Camco Wave 6 cat heater. On previous trips, I cracked a window and ran the propane hose outside to a 20 lb propane tank. But recently, started having problems with regulator freezing on the tank that I suspect was cutting off gas to the Wave 6 heater.

Can you all remind me what the risks are of keeping the tank inside the RV?[COLOR=]remind me what the risks are of keeping the tank inside the RV?chttps://globalnews.ca/video/7042224/4-kids-2-adults-in-hospital-after-trailer-explosion-at-slave-lake-campground/ Is it a gas leak issue, explosive issue? I've seen some folks build a small compartment for the propane tank and keep it inside.

Thanks all!

https://tinyurl.com/a8w7ez28

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that explanation. So if I want to connect it propane inside (without linking it to the RV propane) - I could connect it to the 1 lb small canister?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As far as I know there should be no high pressure propane in any living space except for maybe the small canisters.

Consider connecting to the existing low pressure system if compatible with the heater.

Some explanation on connecting here: https://www.etrailer.com/question-491723.html

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tank inside? Not me ever.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad