cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

propane water heater

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
A couple weeks ago while on a ten day trip, we started up the propane water heater and found that it sounded different, quieter, and after bout 20 minutes began to get a hot surface odor from the cabinet where it is mounted, no alarms co or co2. Shut it down to wait for a maintenance opportunity. Yesterday I decided to inspect and clean using compressed air figuring that some spider webs were blocking the gas flow. Its a 4 year old unit and was able to blow some rust out, gas ventura looked freeflowing. Nothing significant. So I removed the direction baffle and tried to blow air directly through the hot gas passages and could not get a good air movement. With a flashlight I could see a very large mud dauber nest blocking 2/3 of the exit hot gas passage. Removed the nest and Reinstalled the baffle and cover and the heater worked perfectly. Mud daubers are very commen in my area due to sandy soil. Go figure. Moral of the story, if it has a different sound and a hot surface smell, don't use your propane hot water heater til a full inspection is done
4 REPLIES 4

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Outstanding! Many RVers would've just kept using it til something else happened. Glad you took the time to troubleshoot it. Good advice for anyone with a gas fired heater....spiders and wasps love those areas....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Wasps built a paper nest in my friends RV water heater. Lit the water heater and scorched the side of his RV. Could have been worse!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Gosh! Could've been another Crispy Critter!

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it fixed. I put screens on all my appliances to keep them out and reduce the risk.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years 🙂