cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quartzsite, Where & When ?

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Been wanting to visit the event at Quartzsite in Jan, never been there, hope sone obe has details of it .
Thanks
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max
43 REPLIES 43

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Was there yesterday, on our way back home and I was amazed ..... The count for this time of year is waaaaaay down. Plomosa Rd had 3 yes I said 3 RVs as far as one could see down the road and that included the host. The area south of the big tent is normally wall to wall 2 weeks before the show and there were "maybe" a dozen rigs in the bush. I have never seen so few rigs for this time of year. Even driving down the 3 LTVA's south of town is barren compared to years past. Will be going back through on the 11th and I'll see if they came late or if this is the new Q.

I do know MANY of the vendors have moved on and most of the ones there now are the china junk vendors. Have seen a multitude of the old Q vendors at the 2 flea markets in Yuma this year.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Dave.....During the blazing hot summer, Quartzsite has somewhere between 4000 -7000 residents (forget the exact number). During the winter there are over 100,000 people. This brings up an issue of police and fire support. With such a small resident base, they can't afford police and fire for the summer months. Consequently, the sales tax is adjusted to 10%.

There are two off ramps in Quartzsite. The large RV tent is located pretty much between them on Hwy 95 which dissects I-10. At the west off ramp is a large truck stop/fuel ( I think it's a Pilot). At the east end, is a two year old Chevron that is really large and easy to negotiate. If you plan on staying and running your generator, you can fuel up at either end.

There are approximately 77 campgrounds. Most of them are located along Main street that parallels I-10 on the north and the rest are on the south side of I-10 . Most are just power poles and water sticking out of the dirt. There maybe three or four that would be considered nice by Quartzsite standards. The majority of the people stay on BLM land, primarily accessed via Hwy 95 on both sides of I-10.

The large RV tent, about the size of a football field is surrounded by flea markets, RV lots trying to get rid of excess inventory and several companies who set up installation bays for purchases made at the show. There are a fair amount of RV products, but as one poster stated, a lot of RV resort sales, pots and pans and jewelry vendors.

There are flea markets ALL over Quartzsite. They sell a lot of things that you probably threw away when you were younger. There is an area near the big tent that has dollar products, like soap, cereal, toothpaste etc. At the west end of town are a couple of large steel buildings that sell RV products, tools and Harbor Freight type stuff.

IF you stay on BLM land you'll need a toad to get around. If you stay near the big tent, a bicycle might be better because the traffic and parking around the big tent is horrific. A scooter would be perfect.

Bring food! There are no real restaurants in town. There's a Subway, and a couple of other fast food joints. There is a bakery on Main Street that sells fresh pies.

Lastly, many people come to stay the winter for just the cost of a monthly BLM pass. You'll see PU trucks hauling around 50 gallon drums of drinking water and a lot of solar panels. You can get water delivered on the BLM land.

Personally, I have no interest in staying out there for the winter, but we find it fun to go for a week during the RV show. We hit the flea markets and get our RZR out for a ride or two. This will be our tenth year.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

francheska
Explorer
Explorer
We have only been in Q the last 3 years and in that time I have never met a disagreeable or loud mouthed
person. I am always amazed that when I wait in long lines every one is courteous and pleasant. I believe
everyone should experience this unique camping adventure. Come and make up your own mind.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr.Mark wrote:
I agree that Quartzsite should be experienced at least once. It's an experience. While we might buy a few items for us it's mostly about friends and people watching - the people can be very intersting.

The BIG tent and surrounding vendors have everything that you could possibly ever want to use your RV. If you can't find it there, you don't need it! LOL! Really??? Most of what is in the BIG tent is snake oil.

And the first year I went to Q I had a list of common RV items - not one was available in the BIG tent or any other area.

And above all stear clear of the 2 solar dealers. Handy Bob is 100% right about them.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Branson_in_Tucs
Explorer
Explorer
If your expecting a lot of Rv stuff do not be disappointed. Over the years less and less RV merchandize. A lot of Pots and Pans, and stuff that you find at a craft shop or swap meet.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I drove through there last Feb----looked like a pretty big cluster to me so I just kept on going. Personally if I wanted to be around that many people I would just move to NY city. Obviously there is something there to draw that big a crowd.

This is like saying, "I drove past Disneyland, I didn't like it".
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Posted today in the daily RV TRAVEL email is the following:

RV TRAVEL MEETUP IN QUARTZSITE
P.S. If you are headed to Quartzsite, Ariz., for the huge RV Show in January, please join RVtravel.com editor Chuck Woodbury and other staff members on Thursday, Jan. 22, between 2 and 4 p.m. in a meeting room of the Quartzsite public library for an informal gathering. We'll have some light refreshments. If you plan to attend, please email Chuck at Chuck@RVtravel.com and he'll keep you updated on the event.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
1000's of vendors. You can find anything.
There is also a gem show. Not sure if it is before or after the RV show.

I will be there.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that Quartzsite should be experienced at least once. I joined my RV group for about 4 or 5 yrs. in a row which consisted of about 60 RV's. We settled about 4-5 miles south of the big tent off of Hwy 95.

We had a wonderful time with pot-luck dinners around the big bon fire nightly. Met lots of nice people and will go again maybe in January of 2016 as I'm skipping the one coming up.

The BIG tent and surrounding vendors have everything that you could possibly ever want to use your RV. If you can't find it there, you don't need it! LOL!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
SCVJeff wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I drove through there last Feb----looked like a pretty big cluster to me so I just kept on going. Personally if I wanted to be around that many people I would just move to NY city. Obviously there is something there to draw that big a crowd.
How about just sit back and watch the thread rather than poo-poo'ing something you clearly have no idea about other than seeing it from the freeway at 70.

To the OP: HERE is the link to the Quartzsite RV show page. It's a Hellofa lot of fun if you give it a chance and don't pre-judge. The show itself is a very small piece of the general goings on within the town. Lots of us on the forums head out that way so here's the place for questions.

X2 While the Q might not be everyone's cup of tea for most RV'ers it is a right of passage. You don't need to experience it twice necessarily but once is a must. Just bring your sense of humor/absurd and enjoy. We will be back for our 5th year in a row and would not miss it, definitely too much fun.. The big RV show runs from the 17th - 25th.

:C

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
How about just sit back and watch the thread rather than poo-poo'ing something you clearly have no idea about other than seeing it from the freeway at 70.

To the OP: HERE is the link to the Quartzsite RV show page. It's a Hellofa lot of fun if you give it a chance and don't pre-judge. The show itself is a very small piece of the general goings on within the town. Lots of us on the forums head out that way so here's the place for questions.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Emptypockets
Explorer
Explorer
Will arrive in Quartzsite tomorrow - we plan to spend Jan & Feb there been doing this since 2001 don't make it every year but looking forward to turning 80 in 15 days where it is warm.
The Palmers

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, despite the crowds, Quartzsite is a must-see, if only one time, for every RV'er. Lots of deals, lots of great folks, an experience you'll not forget!
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III