cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about overheating coolant!

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I just overheated to 230 degrees (heater hose broke on I-10 and lost most of coolant). A repair shop said I should replace the thermostat and rad cap besides hoses. any suggestions on any thing else I should do or not do from the overheating. This is a 350 8.3 cummins diesel pusher.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
11 REPLIES 11

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins uses a fan that is engaged as needed. It may be engaged by several different means depending on brand.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the Cummins uses a fan clutch. Thanks for all the input guys I think I can make it to Denver from Sedona before changing the thermostat since I drove from Yuma to Sedona without any overheating.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Does that motor use a fan clutch?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a good time to flush the antifreeze, not just replace what was lost. 230 isn't all that high if that's all it got to.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
jauguston wrote:
230 degrees is not overheated.

Agreed, the fan probably doesn't even kick in until around 226.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Never hurts to change thermostat and rad cap and change all the heater hoses or you jusst vote yourself in for more problems!

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
230 degrees is not overheated.
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Have them download the ECM which may tell maximum temperature reached. Replacement all coolant hoses not just the problem one.

Snomas wrote:
I just overheated to 230 degrees (heater hose broke on I-10 and lost most of coolant). A repair shop said I should replace the thermostat and rad cap besides hoses. any suggestions on any thing else I should do or not do from the overheating. This is a 350 8.3 cummins diesel pusher.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Take the belt off the water pump and check it for looseness. A genuine Cummins pump is best.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If you caught it right away you shouldn't have hurt it. So it blew a hose and got hot. It didn't get hot or been running hot and finally blew a hose. So how old is the rig and has it ever had hoses etc replaced?

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
Transmission fluid!