cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for those towing an enclosed car hauler...

RicB
Explorer
Explorer
Does your enclosed car hauler/cargo trailer have an escape door on the drivers side for exiting your loaded vehicle? Do you feel one is necessary?
2006 42' Allegro Bus
FMCA - F311884
14 REPLIES 14

TprLSP
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and works great with my jeep Cherokee Lattitude. However, what sucks now is when I take the motorcycle and golf cart, I have to put the jeep in backwards to keep the tongue weight down. That's when you realize how nice it is to have the door.
Larry Mayes
Marrero, la
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
After years of hauling show cars I say get the door!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kenโ€™s suggestion has much merit.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
It would be dependent on the car I was hauling. With my jeep I had to climb over tires or climb out the back of the jeep so it would have been nice. I hauled a mini cooper for a friend and it would not require an escape door.

I load differently based on what I have in the trailer trying to balance the weight in the trailer so it might be a concern on the escape door not being in the right spot if you had a different car in the trailer.

1SG
Explorer
Explorer
I have an escape door on mine and it is well worth it.
Paul & Sandy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a smaller vehicle, and a 8 ft 6 inch wide trailer, you would probably be able to get out without the trailer door. If you have a wider vehicle, or a skinnier trailer, you may not. My friend used to have a 7 ft wide trailer, and he had to climb out the hatchback of his SUV. His newer trailer is 8 ft 6 inches, and he can get out of the vehicle. Of course if you have a choice, get the trailer door. You can also get other compartment doors that make hooking up the front chains or straps easier as well.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
kenwautoone wrote:
Why not install an electric winch

With most newer vehicles you would still need to apply the brake to put the vehicle in park. Which means either crawling in the window to do it by hand or opening the door and getting in and the out of the vehicle.

Or, if you have a hatchback or similar (I suppose even a trunk passthrough in a sedan would do), clambering in from the back.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
kenwautoone wrote:

With most newer vehicles you would still need to apply the brake to put the vehicle in park. Which means either crawling in the window to do it by hand or opening the door and getting in and the out of the vehicle.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

kenwautoone
Explorer
Explorer

I have done without one for 20 years on the race car trailer but I for sure would have one if I should buy another trailer. Don't cost that much more but not sure if the economy brands even offer it.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
yes, makes it super easy to load and unload.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have an escape door, but I am only about 10 lbs over what my ideal weight should be. I park the suv a few inches off center in the trailer so the door opens a little further than normal. This makes it easier to get in and out of the vehicle. An escape door would make it easier, but if a person isn't quite a bit overweight, it isn't that big of a deal.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
No , and yes !
I ordered it without thinking my โ€œspryโ€ self would have no problem, esp with the small car I was hauling. Wrong , I would never buy another without a escape door. Crawling out is a pita no matter how small the car rep after the retirement spread.
Bill

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I rode in a car being transported in an enclosed trailer, yes I would.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad