cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question of you w/electrical knowledge...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new propane gas alarm. The colors of the two wires to the old one are: red and black. Colors on the new one are: yellow and white. Do I connect the new yellow one to the old red and the new white to the old black? Or, vice-versa? Need your help! Thanks, Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
13 REPLIES 13

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the follow up.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
BTPO1 wrote:
So which way was it?

A 'senior moment' I suppose. I was wrong about the color of wires. The new alarm has red and black wires and the wires out of the MH are yellow and white. I was able to cut the wires with a male plug off the old alarm and attach it to the new alarm then it simply plugged into the old female MH plug.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Yellow is typically positive DC on boats. Did you get a detector rated for marine use?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Wiring standards dictate that colored wires are hot or positive. White and black are shades, not colors. In automotive applications, white should always be negative. I have seen black used for both positive and negative.
In your case, I would suggest that red & yellow are both positive.

Richard

I agree with your logic but, white and black are not shades. White is the combination of all the colors of the spectrum and black is the total absence of all color. Purple and Lavender or Red and Pink or Sky Blue and Royal Blue are shades of color.

# 1 - The First Answer: Color Theory #1 - Color as Light
Black is not a color. White is a color.

# 2 - The Second Answer: Color Theory #2 - Color as Pigment or Molecular Coloring Agents
Black is a color. White is not a color

#3 - My art teacher says black and white are shades.

So nothing is proven.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
In DC circuitry (on the supply side at least), typically the positive is indicated by a red wire and the negative is indicated by a black wire. If it's a grounded system then the ground wire is usually green or bare. Not sure what the white and yellow indicate on the detector.

In AC circuitry, white is neutral, black is hot, and green or bare is ground. A red wire in AC circuitry is usually a switched hot lead.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Wiring standards dictate that colored wires are hot or positive. White and black are shades, not colors. In automotive applications, white should always be negative. I have seen black used for both positive and negative.

Richard

I agree with your logic but, white and black are not shades. White is the combination of all the colors of the spectrum and black is the total absence of all color. Purple and Lavender or Red and Pink or Sky Blue and Royal Blue are shades of color.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
So which way was it?
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
I bought a new propane gas alarm. The colors of the two wires to the old one are: red and black. Colors on the new one are: yellow and white. Do I connect the new yellow one to the old red and the new white to the old black? Or, vice-versa? Need your help! Thanks, Larry

Please disregard. I posted to quick. I've figured it out.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Here is where a DMM or test light comes in handy. In Lieu of those and/or any instructions in the package, try the yellow to the red and white to black. A trick you can try is to take a cigarette lighter plug for charging a cellphone or some other device and touch the yellow to the center and white to side, if the red power indicator LED come on your in business, if not reverse the leads.

Also the make and model helps, others have installed them and may have first hand knowledge.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

MrWizard
Most likely yellow on red
But it should be marked some place, or in the paperwork out on the pkg
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure yellow=red and white=black but what does the paperwork that came with it say?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the unit indicate which is + ?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman