cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions for Nexus Owners

ColoRockiesFan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering a Nexus 23P and have a few questions. How comfortable is the deluxe dinette to sit/sleep on? How comfortable is the bed in the cab? Does Nexus provide a bunk ladder? what options do you consider a must?

My problem is that I travel with my elderly Mom and neither of us want to climb into the bunk. so we need two beds on the main level. But, I also would like/need a comfortable place to sit as I have back issues. Dinettes are notoriously uncomfortable to sit on and a recliner would be terrific. So I need a comfortable dinette or being willing to climb into the cabover. Sigh. Am I missing any other solutions?

I'm going to the Hersey Rv show so I will see one in person but am curious as to what current owners think.
19 REPLIES 19

Vacay_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
Right, it's understood that warranty work will be needed on a new coach. I have no problems with 1-2 even 3 months with it sitting a repair shop, especially if it's time the rig would otherwise be in storage. Also, clearly he's happy with NeXus' attentiveness.

Still, the question is whether other customers were able to get all their warranty work done to their satisfaction through NeXus' service network rather than returning to the factory.

OTOH, I know if I get a Winnebago from Roy Robinson down the street, they've got a good reputation for service after the sale.
2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215 (on order) 😄
www.vacaywheels.com
_

gandalf42
Explorer
Explorer
As I have an interest in Nexus RVs (don't own one) I read through the rvpainter blog. The main problems were cabinet door finish failing, levelers not working, and the slide not working. There were apparently other smaller issues the author never elaborates on. The big three all seem to have been contractor/manufacturer issues not problems caused by Nexus themselves. These types of issues can come up with any manufacturer.

Most of the time delay was caused by the cabinet door maker which was eventually resolved by going to a new source. I wouldn't expect this issue to come up again.

There may have been a learning curve contributor as the rvpainter unit was built during the first year of Nexus manufacturing (2011/2012). Despite it all, rvpainter remained bullish on Nexus for the support they received in resolving the issues.

None the less, your question to owners about warranty issues is a good one and I look forward to the responses you get.
Mike
Fort Collins, CO
'99 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed

Vacay_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
My questions for the Nexus owners... How much warranty work did you have done? And were you able to get it done without going back to the factory?

I read rvpainter's saga with some concern. He picks the unit up in April, and in August he's back at the factory for close to a MONTH. He also needed to get the levelers removed.

http://rvpainter.blogspot.com/2012/08/day-1-in-back-in-elkhart.html http://rvpainter.blogspot.com/2012/09/almost-done.html

We're touring the factory next month, and I really like their units, but I was thinking a month in Elkhart probably wouldn't work for us.
2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215 (on order) 😄
www.vacaywheels.com
_

longtom1951
Explorer
Explorer
Let me know if you have any questions about the 28P.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
longtom1951 wrote:
I have a Nexus 28P and the dry weight was at 11,000 lb's. That would give me 3500 lb's. to carry before going over the 14,500 range. I have not weighed it at all 4 corners. I had them install a spare tire carrier under the rear of the unit. I had 3 flats on my previous MH, and would like to think that I can change a tire myself, if I ever have another flat. I went with the "no slideout" 28P but now my wife and I are thinking we need to upgrade to something with a slideout. I would consider going back to Nexus if we do get serious about getting a new unit.

A 28P is the one the wife and I are eyeballing. We plan on a factory tour sometime in late October
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

longtom1951
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Nexus 28P and the dry weight was at 11,000 lb's. That would give me 3500 lb's. to carry before going over the 14,500 range. I have not weighed it at all 4 corners. I had them install a spare tire carrier under the rear of the unit. I had 3 flats on my previous MH, and would like to think that I can change a tire myself, if I ever have another flat. I went with the "no slideout" 28P but now my wife and I are thinking we need to upgrade to something with a slideout. I would consider going back to Nexus if we do get serious about getting a new unit.

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
The rings are standard. The tire is lying flat. I placed one of those nonslip kitchen drawer liners under the tire to add more traction.

I have never weighed it. I probably could. If I do I'll get the weights to you.

Sewer hose fits right into the back bumper.

gandalf42
Explorer
Explorer
bzboy wrote:

I bought my own and have it secured in the back compartment with tiedowns. There are four metal rings you can strap to. Haven't moved at all.

I have been looking at the 28P so curious about this. Were the rings standard, an option, or something you installed? So, the tire is laying flat in the compartment?

A couple of other questions: Do you know the OCCC for the 28P? Do you know or have you weighed your coach for axle weights (or better) 4 corner weights?

Is there a place for the sewer hose? (couldn't tell from video)

Thanks!
Mike
Fort Collins, CO
'99 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed

ColoRockiesFan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info! I am really looking forward to seeing the Nexus next weekend in Hershey.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Mich F wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
JT wrote:
The Ford E 350 chassis has a gvwr of 12500; the E 450 has a gvwr of 14500. Why would one say that the E. 350 has a greater capacity than the E 450? :h

Because it is true. The extra weight of the 450 eats into its payload. My 2012 E350 has 3,368# of payload on a GVWR of 11,500#. Have yet to encounter an E450 that matches that.

:C

The E350 and E450 are within a couple of hundred pounds of each other, while the E450 has 3,000# more GVWR.
Ford E series weights

I have a 32 1/2' MH on an E450, that has an OCCC of 3,275#

You illustrate my point very well. Your additional 3,000# of GVWR nets you 93 fewer #'s of payload. Unfortunately you have to hump that extra 3,000# with the same engine/drive train.

If I had a C over 24' I would probably be looking E450's but at 24' and under the E350 just makes more sense, smoother ride, better mileage (4:10 vs 4:56 rear end), and not only no loss of payload but actually a higher payload. Admittedly it is tough to compare the 350/450's as the numbers vary from year to year but look at the ratio of OCCC to GVWR, (3,368/11,500=29% vs 3,275/14,500=22%).

What :h
If your Nexus was on an E450, you would have considerably more OCCC than you have on your E350. The E450 is only 200# or so more than the E350. It has a 14,500# GVWR compared to your E350 which you say has an 11,500# GVWR. You don't have a higher payload than your same model on an E450....
Comparing my OCCC on a 32 1/2' motor home to your 24' or so motor home is comparing apples to oranges. I only mentioned it because you said you never saw an E450 with an OCCC that compared to yours.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mich F wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
JT wrote:
The Ford E 350 chassis has a gvwr of 12500; the E 450 has a gvwr of 14500. Why would one say that the E. 350 has a greater capacity than the E 450? :h

Because it is true. The extra weight of the 450 eats into its payload. My 2012 E350 has 3,368# of payload on a GVWR of 11,500#. Have yet to encounter an E450 that matches that.

The E350 and E450 are within a couple of hundred pounds of each other, while the E450 has 3,000# more GVWR.
Ford E series weights

You illustrate my point very well. Your additional 3,000# of GVWR nets you 93 fewer #'s of payload. Unfortunately you have to hump that extra 3,000# with the same engine/drive train.

If I had a C over 24' I would probably be looking E450's but at 24' and under the E350 just makes more sense, smoother ride, better mileage (4:10 vs 4:56 rear end), and not only no loss of payload but actually a higher payload. Admittedly it is tough to compare the 350/450's as the numbers vary from year to year but look at the ratio of OCCC to GVWR, (3,368/11,500=29% vs 3,275/14,500=22%).

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
JT wrote:

The E350 and E450 are within a couple of hundred pounds of each other, while the E450 has a 14,500# GVWR.
Ford E series weights

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
Thanks for your help! If the cabover bed is comfortable enough, i can have Nexus add. 2 Euro Recliners or a very comfortable reclining sofa. I also plan to get the solar package. I have it on my current trailer and its wonderful!

Quick question. Where is the spare tire?

I bought my own and have it secured in the back compartment with tiedowns. There are four metal rings you can strap to. Haven't moved at all.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
JT wrote: