cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick Fill Fresh Water Tank

jlmurren
Explorer
Explorer
I am a first time user of a class a motorhome. I need help with a couple things in regards to my gray/black and fresh water tank. First, I have a quick fill valve where I hook my water hose up to fill my fresh water. I am not sure what to do with this. I have just left the handle where it is and it slowly puts water into my holding tank. When I turn it the other direction I can actually hear water going into a tank. Can someone explain this to me please?
Also, how do you know when the tank is full? How do you empty it if you don't want to have water in it when you are moving?
19 REPLIES 19

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like you fill valve is leaking, in the bypass side.
In one position it sends water directly to you plumbing and does not fill your tank. The other position send it to you tank.
You should have a monitor that tells you when your tank is full, in the coach. They need to put one in the wet bay so you can tell without having to go into the coach.
If you let it fill to the point it flows out the gravity water fill port, it is too full and will slop out going down the road. If it get that full just run some into the gray tank, at the sink.
Your gray/black tank switch, if you have a flushing or rinsing system, sends water to either you gray or your black tank.
Fill your gray tank then fill your black tank. after connecting the sewer hose pull the black tank handle with the fresh water still entering the tank.
After it is empty continue to let it run for about five minutes. close the drain valve and let a few gallons go into the black tank.
Pull the gray tank valve and switch the fresh water flow into the gray tank. After emptying let it run for about five minutes. Close the valve and let a couple gallons go into the gray tank. Turn water off and disconnect.
Sorry if this doesn't fit but from you description this should cover it.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum glad you got it sorted out.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

jlmurren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you thank you everyone! I figured it out! Yes I have a sani flush system. The quick fill valve if turned one way is for city hook up and the other way is to fill my fresh wayer tank. My control panel seems pretty accurate for the amount of water that is in the fresh water tank.
Thanks again for all your help!

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
jlmurren wrote:
I know if you guys could see the pictures you would know exactly what to tell me. I believe you are correct. I think there is a tank flushing setup. I think when I turn that valve the other way I hear it going into the black water tank. The fresh water tank is under the bed in the back of the MH. Should I be able to see the water level going up when I am filling? Should I have to turn the pump on when I am filling?
I think maybe you would get a quicker, more accurate answer if you were to ask this question on a
Rexhall forum: Rexhall International RV Club.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
I can fill quicker turning the pump on.

why does emptying your tank with the pump on make your tank fill quicker?
bumpy

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I can fill quicker turning the pump on.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jlmurren wrote:
The fresh water tank is under the bed in the back of the MH. Should I be able to see the water level going up when I am filling? Should I have to turn the pump on when I am filling?

yes as the tank is translucent.
no the pump is not necessary while filling, or when hooked up to city water.
bumpy

jlmurren
Explorer
Explorer
Just that valve. I have tried everything to post pictures. I know if you guys could see the pictures you would know exactly what to tell me. I believe you are correct. I think there is a tank flushing setup. I think when I turn that valve the other way I hear it going into the black water tank. The fresh water tank is under the bed in the back of the MH. Should I be able to see the water level going up when I am filling? Should I have to turn the pump on when I am filling?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
In my Winnebago (Water Department Storage Compartment), I have a water selector switch! City water goes directly to all my coach inside faucets. Water tank fill goes to my water tank reservoir that fills my fresh water tank. I have the choice of watching the water filling into my tank by opening a storage cabinet door. Are I can rely on my inside tank water fill gauges. Hope this helps you!

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
sounds to me like your "off" position makes the water go into the tank, and the other position is for using city water.
bumpy
That is my thought too. Exactly like my setup with the Foretravel. My valve when on just fills the tank.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
jlmurren wrote:
I agree but the valve doesn't say on or off it just has an arrow showing the you can turn it one way or the other.

I can't find where or how to post a picture of it.
You have to use a photo hosting site like photobucket. Here is a whole discussion area on how to do it: RV.Net Tutorials and Picture related FAQ's

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might have a tank flushing setup if turning the handle one way sends water to your tanks (usually black). However, there should be someway for you to remain hooked up to fresh water with one setting that will send water to the and another that would keep the incoming city water as your water source. Is there more than one valve in the general area?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jlmurren
Explorer
Explorer
I agree but the valve doesn't say on or off it just has an arrow showing the you can turn it one way or the other.

I can't find where or how to post a picture of it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sounds to me like your "off" position makes the water go into the tank, and the other position is for using city water.
bumpy