cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recalls and Buying Older Coach

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at a 1999 Country Coach Allure this weekend. I've found a local shop that will inspect the engine and chassis and an RV inspector for the house if we like the coach and can work out a deal.

I've looked up the recalls for this unit and there are six. Two are unimportant as they applied to the OEM tires and replacement of the tire inflation sticker and/or FAWR and RAWR weight sticker due to erroneous information on the sticker. One does not apply to the floor plan we'ere looking at.

The other three address potentially serious safety issues:

1. The Dometic refrigerator has a recall to eliminate a fire hazard.
2. There was a recall to modify height control valves. The original valve configuration could result in a right to left weight imbalance which could cause the coach to exceed the weight ratings of the left front tire.
3. There was a recall to replace defective brake linings.

The owner says he has all the vehicle documentation so he should have invoices showing these recalls have been performed. What would you do if you could not find documentation that these recalls have been accomplished?

I'm thinking I could call Dometic with the S/N of the fridge to check on that recall, but I have no idea how to figure out if the brake lining and height control valve has been fixed.
7 REPLIES 7

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Dometic fridge recall is quite easy to tell if it has been done by inspection. Among other things, it adds additional sheet metal shielding around the burner area. If you need to unscrew a sheet metal panel to get at the gas control valve, the recall has been done. If you're unsure, any RV repair place authorized to do the recall should be able to tell you if it needs doing and, of course, should also be able to do it at no cost to you.

If this is a private party sale (and it sounds like it may be), then I'd generally trust the owner's word that they had a particular recall done absent any documentation one way or the other. Calling the relevant companies with the VIN or serial number, or looking the information up online if available, is another way to verify in many cases.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Click on the link below and enter the VIN number.

Clicky
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually the brakes on most DP are NEVER replaced .you'll never put enouch miles on it to replace them due to wear. That would be my concern as the Brakes will be fairly expensive if they do need replacing. The ride valves are adjustable by a shop that Knows what they are doing There are a couple good ones here in Oregon (where the coach was built)
I agree Call country coach in Junction city Oregon and they can help with Info I'm sure. They arent the "old "country coach and in fact are soon to be a division of winnebago But they have a reputation for supporting their brand.
Bill

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
The 1999 Allure brakes were drum style brakes.

I just had my brakes inspected at 97,000 miles and 21 years and they were like new.

Someone probably needs to look at the brakes if documentation is not available.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
You can call Country Coach in Junction City, OR and see if they have any of the recall info. Keep in mind that this is not the original company but a newer company started by one of the original CC owners. Give them the coach serial # and see what info that may have.

2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 if it was gonna break it should have by now.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My 02

Rigs old enough that the brake linings have probably been replaced more than once. Wouldn't be a concern to me. Same with fridge - rigs old enough that if the fridge is OEM then it's part of recall and has either been fixed or mfg will pay for fix ... many consider the fix "mickey mouse" anyways. Not sure about the levelizer but it wouldn't be a deal killer in my book.
Kevin