cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended pressure for air bags?

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my 2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C came with air bags. I need to check the pressures on them. What pressure should I try initially for running when not towing?
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed
13 REPLIES 13

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I've got firestone ride-rite and keep in the 70-80lb range. Windy days, will adjust by 5 to 10 lbs to account for wind from predominant side. Helps minimize wind induced lean. If you want that flexibility a single fill isnt what you want.

Dont forget to dump the bags if you lift the frame much to level. I use 2" as the max lift, anything more use blocks under tires.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

SweetWaterSurpr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kelderman air bag system and keep 55lbs in the rear bags and 45lbs in the front bags.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hank85713 wrote:
12 winnebago aspect, run 55-60 psi as the thing like to wander. total weight underway less than 14000 since we dont carry much. put extensions on the valse since they are buried in a compartment. 90deg, elbow and then some braided steel extensions to reach the opening. Going to make a single T to air up just have to get to a higher priority before I do!

I would generally suggest against having just a tee and single fill valve for the two airbags, as that allows air to shift from one to the other and so reduces their effectiveness at preventing or controlling sway. I've heard stories, at least on other vehicle types, of evasive maneuvers becoming rather more hair-raising when this is done. Alternatively, installing a ball valve or two in the air lines could be a way of preventing this while still having a single fill port.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
12 winnebago aspect, run 55-60 psi as the thing like to wander. total weight underway less than 14000 since we dont carry much. put extensions on the valse since they are buried in a compartment. 90deg, elbow and then some braided steel extensions to reach the opening. Going to make a single T to air up just have to get to a higher priority before I do!

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, I will have to try it out. I might start at 60 and then go down in increments. I think mine are Firestone too.

I dont know what the chassis is, other than its a Ford E450 with the V10.
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I've learned a little from this post. We have a '15 Coachmen 28QB...about 32' in total length. Loaded our rear axle weighed in at 7700lbs. I've run 20, 30 and 40 lbs in the Firestone bags. I found that it rides smoother at 20lbs even with the car/dolly in tow. We've run 40 in them and with the car, it seems to exaggerate the "porpoise" effect. (A new set of Bilsein shocks seems to have brought that under control!)
I can see how running 60 or 70 may improve handling and may give that a try the next time.

Gary

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We have Firestone air bags on our Itasca 31C and I run 60 lbs. in them all the time. As stated above weight doesn't change much on the larger class C's, they are always heavy. Improves handling considerably.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Outlook 29b, with the auxiliary air bags (Firestone I think). We run 70 psi all the time, weight is virtually the same always. Since the tow bar is on the back of the MH all the time, there is slighty less weight when the car is being towed.
The manual recommends a minimum pressure (5 or 10 psi). 5 psi or 70 psi in ours, doesn't change ride height, but the 70 dramatically improves handling, especially on bad roads.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

jimintomah
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Itasca Cambria 30C with Michelin tires and run mine at 50 psi. It really depends on how you load it. Experiment with it. The other thing is mine are hard to set accurately, the bags are small and it only takes a short burst to air them up.
Jim & Kathy & The Dog
2019 Winnebago Adventurer 35F

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Depends also on brand of air bags. I have Firestone ride rites and run 60 psi. My leaf spring are very tired

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
This appears from a google picture search to be a typical class C on the Ford or Chevy van chassis. Towing will make relatively little difference since your tongue weight is a pretty small fraction of the total vehicle weight, doubly so for flat towing the Fit.

It's hard to give a hard and fast rule about this; the general idea is to put enough air in them so that the chassis is riding at an appropriate ride height, neither bottoming out nor staying at the top of the travel. (The instructions generally suggest measuring ride height unloaded and then adjusting to match when loaded. That doesn't work very well on a class C since you're always pretty well loaded from the point of view of the chassis.)

On my motorhome, somewhere around 40 psi seems to work out pretty well. Others have reported quite different pressures work for them. It probably depends somewhat on how worn or stretched the main springs are.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
BigCanoe wrote:
Hi, my 2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C came with air bags. I need to check the pressures on them. What pressure should I try initially for running when not towing?

Is this Workhorse chassis, P32?
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
15 or 20 lbs. You need to keep some air in them so they hold their shape or don't get pinched. Otherwise enough to level the rig but not more than their stated capacity.