cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remapping Transmission on Triton V10?

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on remapping the shifting on a Class A with the Triton V10. Just purchased a used coach and it just will NOT stay in high gear for ANY kind of an upgrade with the cruise control on. Any slight rise and it downshifts, kicks the RPM's to about 4000 and screams up the hill.

If the cruise control is NOT on, it doesn't downshift nearly as aggressively.

Additionally, I would like to bring the shift points of each gear down slightly as I am more concerned with fuel mileage than in being able to race up a mountain without losing any speed.

I have heard that it can be done... I just don't know what my options are to doing it.

Thanks!
Chris
23 REPLIES 23

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I cant understand why people feel the need to use cruise control in the hills. use your foot, use your momentum going down and float it (actually back off a tad going up) and you can eliminate most of the downshifting
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
The cruse control is just doing what you set it to do. You set it for 65 and all it is trying to do is maintain 65 going up that mountain. How does it do that? by giving it more throttle and then that causes the RPM's to climb to 4000 or higher just trying to do whst you told it to do, maintain 65 MPH going up that mountain. Take control back from that guy named CRUISE and turn it OFF and use your foot and your gear shift to drive the speed you want going up that mountain because with cruise control it is never going to reach/maintain 65 going up that mountain anyway, just reving your engine which is what you are trying to fix according to your post. It is called "driving", Try it and save your money on a shift program. Just my opinion and offered as such
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
You've got the old 305 HP with 'THAT' 4 speed Tranny. Had one, know exactly what you mean. Nothing U can do. Next time buy the post 2006 Ford F53 with the 362 HP V10 & 5 speed tranny. MUCH better.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Look up 5 star tuning.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I used a programmer to reduce my maximum engine(5.4L) rpm to 4500 down from OEM 5000. This has helped IMO to reduce stress on the drivetrain. I just have no need to make 5000 rpm shifts towing or not. But really you need to reduce the cruise control set speed when climbing a hill. I often pull the lever to hold the gear and reset my speed by the tachometer at around 3500 rpm and let it cruise to the top. The engine does need to run up a bit to make power.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The cruise system on these chassis is a hold over from the old days. It's not tied in with the engine management systems like all newer vehicles. I agree they downshift allot but, personally I would not mess with the tranny programming. The Triton V10 is a high revving beast which needs to be allowed to spin freely.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
The engineers that designed the program for the cruise control directed most of their time towards maximizing fuel economy. If fuel mileage is maximized emissions are also going to be addressed and the estimated mileage on the Mahoney is higher resulting in a marketing point for the manufacturer. I can pretty much guaranty that if you can find a different program for the trans shift points the MPG will decrease not increase. The hundreds, if not thousands, of man hours spent on developing the ECM programming just can not be invested by the small tuner. They will tell you their program will deliver miracles but I have yet to see one that does and it comes down to size of investment in the finished product.
Plus it is a motorhome and if you could pick up .5 MPG everyone would be rushing out to buy the latest, greatest aftermarket tune. But at .5 MPG it takes a long time to get a return on your $500.00 + investment.
Randy

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
This is one option:

http://www.5startuning.com/product/ford-6-8l-v10-rv-motor-home-only-x4-power-flash-device/

So I'm apparently not the only one who feels this way, I guess.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure I'd make that change, but that's just me. Best I can read on it, the V10 is designed to be a high revving engine.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------