cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remapping Transmission on Triton V10?

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on remapping the shifting on a Class A with the Triton V10. Just purchased a used coach and it just will NOT stay in high gear for ANY kind of an upgrade with the cruise control on. Any slight rise and it downshifts, kicks the RPM's to about 4000 and screams up the hill.

If the cruise control is NOT on, it doesn't downshift nearly as aggressively.

Additionally, I would like to bring the shift points of each gear down slightly as I am more concerned with fuel mileage than in being able to race up a mountain without losing any speed.

I have heard that it can be done... I just don't know what my options are to doing it.

Thanks!
Chris
23 REPLIES 23

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you that tbe Ford Cruise Control is "lazy" when it comes to maintaining speed. With my X with the V-10, when the cruise is set and i get to a hill the truck will wait to increase speed untill it has dropped a few mph. By then it is too much and the engine then has to rev to try and get back to speed! The only thing i hate about the X right now!

And i would seriously look into the 5star programmer! It changes the shift strategy so it will hold gears longer. And when it does shift it will keep it in the power band longer!
Some of the best money i spent on the X!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
lbligh wrote:

I believe that you have the Ford 4R100 transmission.

Nope he doesn't. He has the Torqueshift 5sp -5R110W. It was introduced in 2003 behind the 6.0L PSD. The 4R100 was behind the 7.3L PSD.

Tow/Haul will not affect the aggressive behavior of the engine management system to maintain speed while using CC. The tranny will drop gear(s) and rev like heck to maintain the set speed.

You either live with it, turn it off on hills, or put a programmer on it to change the shift program. It does not matter if it's in T/H or not.

Sorry, I actually missed his later post where he identified the year model of his chassis. He didn't state that information in his first post and I just assumed (really don't know why) he was talking about an older unit.

As for the 4R100, it replaced Ford's E40D. It was actually introduced in 1999 in many of Ford's gas truck applications (including their F53 motorhome chassis). The 4R100 also was used with Ford's 7.3 liter Power Stroke diesel in 1999 - 2003.

Thanks for catching my error...

Safe travels.
2012 American Coach Revolution

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
lbligh wrote:

I believe that you have the Ford 4R100 transmission.

Nope he doesn't. He has the Torqueshift 5sp -5R110W. It was introduced in 2003 behind the 6.0L PSD. The 4R100 was behind the 7.3L PSD.

Tow/Haul will not affect the aggressive behavior of the engine management system to maintain speed while using CC. The tranny will drop gear(s) and rev like heck to maintain the set speed.

You either live with it, turn it off on hills, or put a programmer on it to change the shift program. It does not matter if it's in T/H or not.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
lordnorth wrote:
Thanks for the responses!

I guess I should have clarified... I have a 2011 that has the 6.8L V-10. So I guess this means that I have the "latest and greatest" already.

I get what many of your are saying, about letting it rev high and about using the cruise. I admit.. I drive big trucks and max my RPM's at 1500, so EVERYTHING sounds like it is over-revving. But at the same time... I don't understand why, with the cruise off, it will maintain a given speed up a rise without downshifting, but with the cruise on, as soon as there is any slight upgrade (not talking mountains here...) it instantly downshifts.

The previous owner suggested, and it seems to be the best option currently, that as soon as you see a slight rise, you kick off the cruise, get up the hill, cruise back on. Repeat as necessary. It works, but it does make for fairly tiring driving. (Again, coming from someone who is used to spending a lot of time in the drivers seat. I just don't feel that driving a Motorhome should be that much more tiring than driving an dual axle sleeper with a 53' trailer, but it is...)

Again, thanks for the suggestions.. I did look into the 5 star tuning as someone mentioned (see the third post in this thread), and I did look at the Banks system (looks like that is for the older Fords).

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

Use the "TOW HAUL" mode and it will change the shift points of the trans.

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
lordnorth wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on remapping the shifting on a Class A with the Triton V10. Just purchased a used coach and it just will NOT stay in high gear for ANY kind of an upgrade with the cruise control on. Any slight rise and it downshifts, kicks the RPM's to about 4000 and screams up the hill.

If the cruise control is NOT on, it doesn't downshift nearly as aggressively.

Additionally, I would like to bring the shift points of each gear down slightly as I am more concerned with fuel mileage than in being able to race up a mountain without losing any speed.

I have heard that it can be done... I just don't know what my options are to doing it.

Thanks!
Chris

Chris,

I believe that you have the Ford 4R100 transmission. That being said, while I personally have not used the product found at the link below, I do have two friends that have used it and are very happy with their results. Banks normally makes a good product.

http://www.bankspower.com/techarticles/show/33-Why-Add-a-TransCommand

The article at the link is also good reading.

Safe travels.
2012 American Coach Revolution

Z71_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
5-Star

Installed on my 2011 and love it. Fixed the constant 5k scream when the overpass was still 1 mile away (ok, not really 1 mile away but it seemed like it). I still take it out of CC for large hills and mountains as I can control it better but overall I'm a huge fan.
2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 37BA
Kar Kaddy SS

2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA - Sold

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My older (2001), when on cruise control and taking a hill, the speed drops around 20mph from the "set" speed before the cruise control disengages. Different tranny than yours, (OP) of course....
The V-10 likes RPM so 4000 isn't bad, and of course, all these motors/trannys have rev limiters on them so you simply can't blow the motors up due to excessive RPMs. And...when the thermostatic fan kicks in, that makes for a hellofanoise, but don't let that fool you.
As far as fuel "economy"? Laugh. 7.3-7.5 on a gasser is all you're gonna get. Diesels do better...but diesel fuel is 50 cents+ more a gallon...so maybe it all equals out.
Stil not satisfied? Call Ford Motorhome and ask them about a possible reprogamming available for the cruise control "problem." Y'never know.
Enjoy your motorhome.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
lordnorth wrote:

I guess I should have clarified... I have a 2011 that has the 6.8L V-10. So I guess this means that I have the "latest and greatest" already.

Thanks!

The Torqueshift 5sp auto is with the cruise control on "AGGRESSIVE" to say the least. My 6.0L PSD does the exact same thing. Hit a hill with it on and the tranny might drop 2 gears to race to the top - goes like a bat out of hell. 1st time it did scared the******out of me!

All I can say is it is designed to do this and if you don't want it doing it either get a programmer to change the shift pattern or kick off the CC on hills, that what I do and it'll save you some fuel.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I used5 star tuning on my 2011 6.8L V-10 and was pleased with the results. If you can wait a month, I can sell it to you for half the price you'd get it new.

Just PM me.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer

I get what many of your are saying, about letting it rev high and about using the cruise. I admit.. I drive big trucks and max my RPM's at 1500, so EVERYTHING sounds like it is over-revving. But at the same time... I don't understand why, with the cruise off, it will maintain a given speed up a rise without downshifting, but with the cruise on, as soon as there is any slight upgrade (not talking mountains here...) it instantly downshifts.

The previous owner suggested, and it seems to be the best option currently, that as soon as you see a slight rise, you kick off the cruise, get up the hill, cruise back on. Repeat as necessary. It works, but it does make for fairly tiring driving. (Again, coming from someone who is used to spending a lot of time in the drivers seat. I just don't feel that driving a Motorhome should be that much more tiring than driving an dual axle sleeper with a 53' trailer, but it is...)

Again, thanks for the suggestions.. I did look into the 5 star tuning as someone mentioned (see the third post in this thread), and I did look at the Banks system (looks like that is for the older Fords).

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on Banks Trans command 115,000 miles and counting. No more down shifts on overpasses
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 99 Coachman with the V10.I bought it when it was one year old.I hated the way the trans shifted.Slow to upshift,slow to downshift,and sluggish shifts.I installed a Banks Trans Command.Best improvement I,ve made to the MH.Not sure if it helped my gas mileage but I love the way the trans shifts.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I often wonder why 4000 rpm bothers most people? Maybe I'm just more used to it riding motorcycles and driving boats but it just feels like power. If the motor doesn't mind it, then I don't either.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

CG_Dawson
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with othertonka 100%,
Happy RV'ing!!

Greg & Jackie
2003 Bounder, 32W / Ford V10 / 2 Slides
Toad: 2004 Saturn L300, Brake Buddy