cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing fogged windows

poecat
Explorer
Explorer
The 2001 Winnie that I just purchased has a couple of themo-pain (pun intended) windows that are fogged. I am going to take apart and reseal as I have read several posts of doing. Any advice or diy posts that will guide me through this? The worse one is the front passenger window (the front of the slide window beside the mirror). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Keith
1st motorhome---'86 27' SOUTHWIND (NOW FOR SALE)
Now 2001 Winnebego Adventurer 35U
Keith&Connie Poe
EAST TENNESSEE
(1st time campers,
purchased July 2003)
31 REPLIES 31

rayhough
Explorer
Explorer
This may help
here
Ray
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.
Enjoy it what's left.
Happy traveling, Ray :W

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Been awhile but MountainAir05 provided me with the info on the spacer and sealant. A fractured pelvis, passing of my mother and some other family members delayed this project for me. Just now in process of doing it, have another completed window to install today then on to the next one.

Thanks MountainAir05 for the info you provided a few years back.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
ahh thats it, thanks.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure who you were asking but here is the link . This is the page for the super spacer. You still need to measure the total thickness and the space between the glass. Look at the 3/16 wide one. Yes it is the correct spacer. If you look on other post, it shows you how to measure for the spacer.

http://www.dkhardware.com/super-spacer_ZC1118M0P1.html

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
Hank MI wrote:
You can buy most of what's in that kit, the important stuff, for under $100. See my post here.

Can you offer a link to the sealer itself?

I see MountainAir05 provided it but it was the post I provided a link to.

I have several fogged windows that I need to repair.
I think I found the actual spacer through your other post that you linked to. But I'm not sure it's the right one.

Is this the spacer? (Not the right size but the right spacer)
clicky

Mountainaire gave a link to the sealant which is helpful also.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
Hank MI wrote:
You can buy most of what's in that kit, the important stuff, for under $100. See my post here.

I see MountainAir05 provided it but it was the post I provided a link to.

Are you just adding sealer to a window or tearing it apart and rebuilding? I ask because the Super Spacer sealant is designed to be used with Super Spacer. Super Spacer has adhesive on both sides, that's what bonds the 2 panes of glass together. The sealer is compatible with the spacer and is just a sealer against water and air infiltration.

The original aluminum spacers use a urethane sealer. The urethane bonds the 2 panes together, holds the spacer in place and seals against air and water. Super Spacer sealant does not appear to me to have the bonding strength of urethane. If it was me and I was just resealing a window, not replacing the original spacer, I would use automotive windshield urethane. I used Super Spacer sealant because that's what was recommended for use with Super Spacer, I wasn't going to experiment with something else. You can get a tube of urethane at many auto parts stores.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVUSA wrote:
Hank MI wrote:

this is where I purchase mine all my spacer and sealant.

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-18840-877-super-spacer-sealant.html

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I feel that the QC is lacking during the window manufacture. The instructions that come with the window seal/spacer states to seal the package between usages, and I get the feeling that they do not pay too much attention to how long the seal is exposed to normal air. From what I have gleaned from the Web, these windows should last at least 10 years, with no problems at all. When doing the rebuild, a 1 hour limit is imposed on the seal, being exposed to humid air, not sealed. The first Dave Root kit, ($280)cost me right at $80 for the seal and the urethane sealer. Ace Hardware has a silicone sealer, that sets-up to a plastic like sealer, just like was on the windows when I removed them. I have tried the original seal, and butyl rubber tape, but did not get the result that way required. Once you have done a couple of windows, the hardest part of the job, will be getting the window frames apart, to get the glass out, and back together, after doing the window panes.
Wildmanbaker

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
Here's some one that documented her effort to reseal a window. It's a really good capture of the effort involved.

window reseal

rather than using the stuff for the middle seal, get the good stuff or even the kit...

window kit

Fogged Windows

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
We had 4 windows done at Sun Coast Designs. Great place. I remember it being $200 per window, but prices could have gone up. If the glass is etched, they will make new windows.
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some one that documented her effort to reseal a window. It's a really good capture of the effort involved.

window reseal

rather than using the stuff for the middle seal, get the good stuff or even the kit...

window kit

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
rayhough wrote:
Here is a link to Atwoodmobile, they are the manufactures of most RV windows. I talked to Sue, she found mine for a 2000 Monaco for $150 each.

http://easyrvwindows.com/
Ray

Just curious, but if they make the windows for most rvs, and assuming it's their windows that are fogging up in the first place what is their guarantee that these replacements wont fog up again?

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
They also provide FREE parking with 50A hookups while your coach is being worked on.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today