cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replace starter on onan generator

kimshoo1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Fleetwood Bounder that needs the Onan generator starter replaced. How had is it to pull out the generator? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks Don
9 REPLIES 9

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Was going to pm you an Onan question Dave M, but I guess with the liability seminars you been to, you might not feel safe answering.
Anyways, would you or could you.
We need a Onan tech on here, cause lord knows we all will have questions from time to time.

Being from VA, you ever carry that Can Am 800 to Busco Beach ?.
Neil

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
JerryWV,
Be careful and make sure you replace the screen. Reason, Onan had a lawsuit where a kid laying on his back under a running generator, put his hand/fingers up into the blower fan, causing finger damage, why the screens have been standard on air cooled Onan units since the 60's.
Just a point of liability. Have been a Onan Dealer 40+ yrs, been to a seminar on liability at factory, a real eye opener.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
On my 1998 Pace Arrow I cut a hole in the screen on the bottom of the generator floor and was able to reach through and change the starter.

Took less than 30 minutes.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The smoke should clear up with enough run time, but in the future, don't drop it down any further than necessary to gain access for service. If it has to sit while awaiting parts, etc., tilt it back up with your jack and block it in place at near level. Make sure the oil level is correct of course.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

38-special
Explorer
Explorer
Just this week had to rebuild starter on Marquis 7000 in '99 Winnie. Really hard to drop the front of the gen to get to starter on back side. Removed 3 of the 4 bolts on each end and jacked it down. Starter was easy to get off then & took it to starter repair shop. He had to order bendix with shaft. I had to let the gen hang down for 2 days as I couldn't get it up by myself and some oil seeped into bottom cylinder. I cleaned it out as good as I could and let it sit in correct position for a day. When I started it up it looked like a smoke generator! Most of smoke went away after 10 minutes but some remained even after about a half hour of running. I wonder if this will eventually stop or did I ruin something. The gen runs good.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Onan Marquis 7000 in our 1995 Coachmen is mounted to two side panels with 3 bolts on each side. Loosening the two rear bolts and removing the remaining four allows the generator to swing down for service supported by a suitable jack or blocks.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MrWizard
I've replaced several

82 pace arrow.. Onan on a slide out..real easy to reach
89 Komfort .. Onan was on a swing down mount..hinged at back, front lowered on jack, allowed access to generator

95 Safari diesel..real pita..Onan bolted to frame, runs on propane, must be unbolted and dropped straight down using transmission jack or similar tool

Actually replacing the starter is the easy part
Gaining access depends on the MFG install
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
Only a Bounder person knows. On my rig it was a bit of a project. An if by chance the only problem with your starter is the Bendix gear that is available pretty cheap and easy to replace.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
My son changed mine without removing the generator.
2 hours to do so.

Pogoil.