cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Broken Door latch

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
My trimark 60-0650 has broken and I will be replacing it with the updated 06-1650 latch. I have seen on here that the striker plate needs to be replaced because the load pins are just a hair larger and will not fit the old plate. My striker plate is mounted behind the door frame and replacement would require disassembling the door frame. I rather just replace the load pins with my old ones. I was close to an RV place this weekend and they had the 1650 in stock but the load pins are red loctited in place and they tried and could not remove them. They did not want to heat them for fear of damage. Has any one removed these?
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD
7 REPLIES 7

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
That would work but they are also too short. Thor had mine screwed out a couple of turns because the striker plate is mounted behind the door frame.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
How about taking a Dremel tool and enlarge the holes in the striker plate
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
Were they loctited in on the new latch? If so how hard were they to remove? The RV shop I was at tried to remove them for and said they could not get thrm to break loose and they were afraid to use heat.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I changed mine I could not see how to easily remove the striker plate so I used the old one and just adjusted it to the new latch.

scdiver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pull the pins from the old lock and put them in the new lock. Then you won't need to change the striker plate. That is what I did.
1996 Rexhall Airbus
1925 Ford Model T Touring

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
I should have mentioned that the load pins also need to be adjusted out about 1/8" for the heads of the pins to engage behind the striker plate. This is a 2013 Thor Daybreak. Thor's answer to this was to back the pins out and leave them loose, they were finger loose and about to fall out. I think I can come up with something better if I can remove the pins without damaging the latch.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the 60-0650 in my previous Coachmen Class A with the newer 60-1650 and did not have to do anything to the existing striker beyond a minor positioning adjustment.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate