cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Help Please

markortega
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 39R with Goodyear G670s 275/70R-22.5 Tires. Getting ready to replace them. With much shopping around, I have determined the cost to replace them as the same is over 4k. Shopping under the FMCA program provides a very enticing savings if I switch to Michelins.

The question is for those of you that had the goodyear tires. Did the change to Michelins change the ride of your RV. Am I worrying over nothing.

Please help put me at ease.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Goodyear and Michelin are the only manufacturers that make tires specifically for RV's. The manufacturers all install Goodyear or Michelin on their new coaches. Obviously if they thought the other tires were better, or at least equal, they would save money by installing them on their coaches.
I've had good luck with both Goodyear and Michelin for the long term without ever having a tire failure averaging 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year.
As far as tires handling and riding better, that is an obvious result of replacing old tires, with a worn tread and hardened rubber, with new tires with softer rubber and a deeper tread. Any new tire of any brand will ride better than any brand of old tire. That does not mean they are better since you are comparing apples to oranges.
If you do a search online about tire problems with specific brands, you will see that all of them have had problems at one time or another. Goodyear and Michelin will have had more problems because they are the only tires installed on new RV's and are the choice for replacements by most owners.
The lesser Korean and Chinese truck tires will have fewer complaints because they sell far fewer tires.
To answer the OP's question, I have used both Goodyear and Michelin tires on different coaches, and they have never failed me and I have not noticed any difference in handling and ride, if properly inflated according to your corner weight. Sure they cost more but I can afford them and when it comes to safety for me and my loved ones, I do not buy tires based on price.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
GTN_and_Catz wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Doubt you will notice any difference. I would price Hankook before deciding. If in doubt about Hankook, do a search on here as in 10 years I have not read a single negative post about their truck tires and YES I replaced my Goodyear's with Hankook and after 10K miles I'm still very happy with them and the price.

X2
For me, I noticed a DISTINCT change in handling and ride versus my Goodyears - all for the better.

Yep, now coming up on 4 years and 20,000 miles. Great tires and priced sensibly.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I changes from Michelin April 2013 to Hankook because of the price difference (about $1,000 less). They now have 5,800 miles on them and I see no difference from the Michelin which had 44,650 miles and 9 years of age (still looked good but thought it best to change).

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
NEW tires of ANY brand will almost always ride & handle better than older tires.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Doubt you will notice any difference. I would price Hankook before deciding. If in doubt about Hankook, do a search on here as in 10 years I have not read a single negative post about their truck tires and YES I replaced my Goodyear's with Hankook and after 10K miles I'm still very happy with them and the price.

X2
For me, I noticed a DISTINCT change in handling and ride versus my Goodyears - all for the better.
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Hankooks.
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I have run Mich's from original set and would consider Hankooks next time after seeing many good reviews here!! I change every 5-6 yrs.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I ran Goodyears for many many years. Had excellent results with them. Still run the G670 on the drive and tag. The fronts I had changed to Michelins year before last. IMHO, they are as good if not better than the Goodyears....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Good tires? Here on the forum, you will get Goodyear bashers, Michelin bashers, all opinions with just a few personal reviews.

Make up your own mind. For me...and what I use and do....if the motorhome CAME with BrandX....stay with BrandX. My OPINION.