cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Res fridge with inverter

vector
Explorer
Explorer
On the last few trips we have used the genset as needed, but now I am considering installing an inverter line just to power the residential refrigerator while on the road. I checked my owner's manual and it said running from an inverter was a no-no, but then it also said do not use the fridge in an RV. I did the install of a 10 cu ft Magic Chef almost five years ago and it's been working just fine (knock on wood). For those out there with residential models: does your paperwork say the same, even if your MH came equipped from the factory with a res model? I was thinking that this may be a void the warranty issue rather than a true problem. I would think that electricity, no matter the source, as long as it was within specs, should be sufficient to get the job done. I am also mulling over MSW (cheaper) vs PSW (more expensive) inverters. Does anyone run from a MSW inverter and have you had any problems?
2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD
12 REPLIES 12

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
We spend a lot of time and do a lot of miles in Mexico where we always run into some very rough roads. Then there are the hidden topes (speed bumps) that pop up when least expected. There is a lot of extra vibration and bouncing.

We are considering a residential fridge when the Norcold give out completely. IF its' original equipment it's 14 years old, at best we bought the rig in the spring of '08 so it's on its 8th Mexican winter.

Our concern is how much the vibration and shake rattle and roll will affect a residential fridge.

No te preocupes Arturo. We have at least two friends that have replaced their rigs in their class C's. Both use them extensively on rough roads in BC and I mean LOTS of miles. Favourite fishing holes on forestry roads etc. I know one of them had plans on adding an extra rubber puck under the feet but don't know if he did it. They both went big on solar (around 480 watts). I wouldn't sweat it.

Hope you guys are enjoying your self down there. We are jealous. But we are heading back to Canada mid February so we can head back to Spain. Currently in Socal.

Que te vaya bien.

John y Angela

Gracia Juan y Angela. hay mucho de calor y humidad aque este año. El Niño 10 day forecast. Dont' be jealous!

Art, Gillian and Tia

vector
Explorer
Explorer
WOW JC2! Great info on a PSW inverter that is both economical and efficient. I also found on the same website an AC shore power to AC inverter switch that would work perfectly with my install. I think our res fridge is a model similar to yours. The 10 cu ft Magic Chef fit both through the door and into the space left by the old Nocold with a few simple modifications. Thanks for the word!
2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
After many attempts to get our rv fridge to cool properly, which included replacing the oem cooling unit with an Amish unit, out the door it went and in the door came a Haier 10.2 cu ft residential. We have initially set it up to run from our current 2000w msw inverter if/when needed while running down the road instead of using the genie. I have since purchased a 1000w psw inverter from donrowe.com which will be more than adequate to handle the power needs of the new fridge.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
We spend a lot of time and do a lot of miles in Mexico where we always run into some very rough roads. Then there are the hidden topes (speed bumps) that pop up when least expected. There is a lot of extra vibration and bouncing.

We are considering a residential fridge when the Norcold give out completely. IF its' original equipment it's 14 years old, at best we bought the rig in the spring of '08 so it's on its 8th Mexican winter.

Our concern is how much the vibration and shake rattle and roll will affect a residential fridge.

No te preocupes Arturo. We have at least two friends that have replaced their rigs in their class C's. Both use them extensively on rough roads in BC and I mean LOTS of miles. Favourite fishing holes on forestry roads etc. I know one of them had plans on adding an extra rubber puck under the feet but don't know if he did it. They both went big on solar (around 480 watts). I wouldn't sweat it.

Hope you guys are enjoying your self down there. We are jealous. But we are heading back to Canada mid February so we can head back to Spain. Currently in Socal.

Que te vaya bien.

John y Angela
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
A good many residential Refrig will work on MSW. They will work just a little harder. Many of my friends have gone Residential and still use there Xantrex Inverter/Charger 2000W MSW with no issues. Nice thing about our Rigs, is the Alternator will charge our coach batteries.
In addition some of us have added solar while dry camping, so our generator run time is lower.

By the way, paper work is to protest the Mfg that is all
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Peruse these previous threads on the subject:

household refer and inverter2009
Household refer Class A 2009
residential fridge- boondocking 09
Residential refer Class A 2010
Norcold w resi, class a 2014

vector wrote:
I was thinking that this may be a void the warranty issue rather than a true problem.
You may find that any refer warranty is void once it's installed in an RV.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Harold,

Which MSW inverter are you using?

Magnum ME 2000 in both coaches.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Well, there many refrigerators being run from inverters. I would recommend quality sine wave inverter to most closely mimic shore power and you should have no problems. A good inverter output is probably better than a generators output. If you are using an inverter based generator than it is already essentially an inverter output so if it has been running on your generator I wouldn't worry about it.

JMHO
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Harold,

Which MSW inverter are you using?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using MSW for 18 years now with a residential refrigerator. 11 years in previous coach and 6 years in this one. Both the old and new are Amana.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd use a psw inverter on anything with a motor. Best converters has one that is 2000 watts for $348.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Prowatt-SW2000-Sine-Wave-Inverter_p_375.html#.VmcP517k-1s
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.