cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resale Diesel or Gas

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Considering buying a Class A up from a C. Usually trade every 3 or 4 years. So which is easier to resell a diesel pusher or gas unit?
28 REPLIES 28

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the concept of minimizing cost, I think applying it the same way you buy a house is misplaced. Choice of fuel is the last thing to consider, not the first. If you equate diesel with quality you are confused.

Like motorhomes, fractional ownership is pure cost. Fractional ownership, last time I checked, targets a net worth of >$10 million. While many of the costs are fixed by contract you have no control over the quality of the product. The FAA standard is a very low bar, by the way. Their purpose is to keep the government and any companies involved from being culpable in an accident. Any safety that results is purely coincidental.

What you are buying is convenience. Want to go to a tiny out of the way airport? A GV may not fit. Want to travel intercontinental? A Malibu is too slow. The costs of aircraft and their upkeep make boats and Motorhomes look trivial by comparison.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned in several posts, motorhomes are toys, not investments. I have never had interest in boats which is a good thing as I get sea sick. And, they are enormously expensive to maintain.

I don't want an airplane either. But, what I think might be nice is to buy into one of the programs where you have use of a private plane (advertisements in the Robb's Report). The plane is owned by a company that makes sure it's staffed and maintained to FAA regulations. I've seen plans that range a certain amount each year which is not that bad if you fly a lot. Currently, we don't fly that much anymore but used to and the convenience would be worth every penny.

Right now, I like motorhoming!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
An RV is not an investment, it is an expense. It will depreciate rapidly for a few years and then bottom out based on features and condition. When people (often) ask me how much it costs me to travel in my MH I just smile and say "don't really know and don't really care". I call it a hobby, recreation or lifestyle. An investment should either provide income or a chance for appreciation. A MH should provide fun and enjoyment. Somebody who is worried about resale value probably shouldn't buy an RV. Boats (I have a big one) and airplanes (I never ever want one) fall into the same category. You can't put a dollar value on pleasure. I have friends who still have almost every dollar they ever saved and almost never go anywhere or do anything. I guess they think that fun begins in their afterlife. My bet is their kids will have the fun that they missed out on. I hope to spend my last buck while taking my last breath. Or close to it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If you think of an RV as an investment, you will never enjoy the lifestyle and joy that it can bring.
Take a cruise, or a flight somewhere, anywhere, and then calculate how much of the cost of that trip was recoverable. See if you can get back the cost of the hotel, rental car, meals at restaurants, etc. Your total expense of any trip, that is not done with an RV, is gone forever. It has no resale value.

:B

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you think of an RV as an investment, you will never enjoy the lifestyle and joy that it can bring.
Take a cruise, or a flight somewhere, anywhere, and then calculate how much of the cost of that trip was recoverable. See if you can get back the cost of the hotel, rental car, meals at restaurants, etc. Your total expense of any trip, that is not done with an RV, is gone forever. It has no resale value.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ClassAGeek wrote:
I think age is a bigger factor than MH type.

MHs lose the most in the first few years and then level off. I see $1,000,000 Prevosts going for 1/2 price in less than 10 years. Same for garden variety DPs and gassers. They all lose about the same percentage - give or take a few points. In terms of real dollars, gassers lose the least in the first few years (50% of $100K is only $50K), then DPs (50% of $250K is $125K) and then luxury coaches lose the most (50% of $1M is $500K).

Just get comfortable with the losses before you buy. Then remember: Your losses are hypothetical until you sell. Then they are REAL.

I agree with everything except the last line.

The loss is realized the second you buy it. You just don't find out exactly how much you lost until you sell.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Rodz wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
if you can afford one. Mere mortals are left behind in that price range although 15--20 year old units can be found reasonable sometimes.

Any top of the line coach from Newmar, Monaco, Tiffin, Foretravel, etc. will range from (MSRP) $500,000-$1,100,000. So, from $395,000 to $900,000, you can get a 2003-2009 Prevost.

A 2003 Prevost that is 11 yrs. old still looks excellent if the owner took good care of the unit.

So, for those looking at a 'new out of the box' regular coach, you could step up to a fairly newish Prevost.

Safe Travels,
MM.

You have no concept of the average workers salary. The DP'S are in a class of their own as are the DP owners.

Rodz, generally when you are talking about buying top of the line Tiffin, Newmar, Foretravel, Monaco, no, you are not talking about the average Joe with an average pay check/income. I'm talking about maybe the upper 25% of Amercians that have expendable income. A husband and wife with good jobs and are now emtpy nesters could easily fit in that category.

I narrowed it down to 'if' someone is looking for a new regular coach, they might could look at used fairly late model Prevost. I think up to 10yrs. old in a Prevost is late model.

MM.
Mr.Mark

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
if you can afford one. Mere mortals are left behind in that price range although 15--20 year old units can be found reasonable sometimes.

Any top of the line coach from Newmar, Monaco, Tiffin, Foretravel, etc. will range from (MSRP) $500,000-$1,100,000. So, from $400,000 to $900,000, you can get a 2004-2009 Prevost.

A 2004 Prevost that is 10 yrs. old still looks excellent if the owner took good care of the unit.

So, for those looking at a 'new out of the box' plastic coach, you could step up to a fairly newish Prevost.

Safe Travels,
MM.

You have no concept of the average workers salary. The DP'S are in a class of their own as are the DP owners.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Any top of the line coach from Newmar, Monaco, Tiffin, Foretravel, etc. will range from (MSRP) $500,000-$1,100,000. So, from $395,000 to $900,000, you can get a 2003-2009 Prevost.

You can see many choices at www.prevost-stuff.com

A 2003 Prevost that is 11 yrs. old still looks excellent if the owner took good care of the unit.

So, for those looking at a 'new out of the box' regular coach, you could step up to a fairly newish Prevost.

Safe Travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Prevosts are such high quality coaches that, I think, are worth their cost.

MM.
Mr.Mark

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
DP and gaz, they all have their share of the market. Someone bought it first and someone should be interested again, just make sure you pay the right price, shop a lot before you buy, make yourself a list of price and buy what you like.

I wanted a DP for many reasons, but there are many people that are very satisfied with their gaz MH for their own reasons.

If you buy for resale, just make sure the brand you buy is a reputable solid MH and you will find a buyer when it is time to sell.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

The difference in how long it takes to sell, if ever, is price.....Today I saw 2 identical units for sale and 1 was twice as much as the other. Who do you suppose will sell first? I would much rather buy a used high end unit than an entry level or cheap basic unit that starts to rattle as soon as you get it.....

ClassAGeek
Explorer
Explorer
I think age is a bigger factor than MH type.

MHs lose the most in the first few years and then level off. I see $1,000,000 Prevosts going for 1/2 price in less than 10 years. Same for garden variety DPs and gassers. They all lose about the same percentage - give or take a few points. In terms of real dollars, gassers lose the least in the first few years (50% of $100K is only $50K), then DPs (50% of $250K is $125K) and then luxury coaches lose the most (50% of $1M is $500K).

Just get comfortable with the losses before you buy. Then remember: Your losses are hypothetical until you sell. Then they are REAL.
----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller