cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rest area overnight stops.

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Is it allowed to spend the night at a rest area? Hope this isn't a dumb question to ask.
51 REPLIES 51

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Rodallg wrote:
Is it allowed to spend the night at a rest area? Hope this isn't a dumb question to ask.

Most do, even if it says otherwise. Some say no camping, which doesn't mean you can't stay overnight. If it says no overnight and they try to enforce it, a trucker told me to call the Federal Marshall at 800 333 4636 and say you're too tired to drive any further. Truckers aren't allowed to by law, once their time on the road is used up. Most of the signs and laws are designed to enforce when that 10% shows up that screw everything else up in this world and the sole reason we have so many rules and restrictions. The most intelligent signs will say no more than a 12 hour stay or something to that effect.
If you see signs in a Walmart, better check with a manager to see if it's enforced, cuz these are usually implemented by the city's ordinance and not Walmart as per say.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

MrWizard
yes we do it when traveling
even pulled over in the middle of the day, if the wind got bad
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
HERE is a list of all states for overnight camping and dump sites.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Depends..
Unless you think its safer to drive sleepy tired.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each state's dot site should have that information.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Depends on the state - some do and some don't.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We use them all the time. IMO, they are safer and quieter than the retail big box stores. One NE state had a 3 hour time limit they rigidly enforced, until big brother threatened to reduce their federal highway funds and they changed the law very quickly. Many have "rules" to give law enforcement a tool, but there is no state that I am aware of, that has ANY law prohibiting the practice.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today