cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retro Winnebago Brave

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to hear from anyone who owns or has looked at the new Brave 26A. How does it handle? Are the single pane windows a problem (noise, cold?)? Are the seating areas and sleeping areas comfortable? I'm wondering how the loft bed with power lift feels to sleep in? With a traditional bed over cab you have hard sides around you vs the open feel of the bed that drops down. Does it feel like you are going to roll off or loose your covers? Is the corner bed in the back comfortable with a mattress topper on it? I like the floorplan and features. The ductless air, winterization package, power awning, leveling jacks, rearview camera, and front workstation are all features that catch my attention.

Currently in a '99 RB Lazy Daze and a few years away from buying new.

Todd

(Motorhome reviewed it last year and gave it good marks except the back bed)
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
reinerka wrote:
We have a 2015 Brave 27B. We stepped up from a Forest River Solera. We love the look inside (IKEA anyone?). The storage is sufficient for the two of us. We've do,e upgrades (Solar & Inverter) to make it perfect for boondocking.

The Ford chassis in my opinion is a step above junk and build quality and localbdealers are horrible. I wish Freightliner or MB had a better chasis in this class. The main chasis problem is lousy build quality and horrible engine/transmission match up. Anything but slightly downhill it shifts straight into 3rd gear with screaming engine noise.

Reiner

A quick call to 5star tuning will fix the transmission shifting issues!

And believe me your better off not have a MB chassis!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

reinerka
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Brave 27B. We stepped up from a Forest River Solera. We love the look inside (IKEA anyone?). The storage is sufficient for the two of us. We've do,e upgrades (Solar & Inverter) to make it perfect for boondocking.

The Ford chassis in my opinion is a step above junk and build quality and localbdealers are horrible. I wish Freightliner or MB had a better chasis in this class. The main chasis problem is lousy build quality and horrible engine/transmission match up. Anything but slightly downhill it shifts straight into 3rd gear with screaming engine noise.

Reiner

garymunson
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the 'retro' models and were disappointed at the limited number of outside compartments and their small size... Might not be an issue for others.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a 36ft 02 DSDP that the RV consumer Group rates as slightly less than worthless due to the wheelbase to vehicle length ratio. We have put a little over 85,000 miles on it and I still can not figure out what they are talking about. If I were you I would do my own test drive and just to make it interesting have them fill the holding and potable water tanks full.

You need a little weight when test driving

tjfogelberg wrote:
I updated my subscription to RV Consumer Group and answered my own question. The Brave 26A is not highly rated, handling being a major concern after reading the report from RV Consumer Group. Also, Motorhome Magazine's review raised a few issues. Cross it off the list.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to test drive the 26A and look at it closely. I agree that we can't rely too heavily on RV Consumer group. They walk through Rvs at trade shows and come up with a report. They do also poll owners and provide a rating based upon that feedback. That is more reliable in my opinion assuming there are enough respondents and that the poll takers are owners.

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg wrote:
I updated my subscription to RV Consumer Group and answered my own question. The Brave 26A is not highly rated, handling being a major concern after reading the report from RV Consumer Group. Also, Motorhome Magazine's review raised a few issues. Cross it off the list.

Be aware, of course, that RV Consumer Group doesn't actually test anything. They just look at the specs and feed them into some equations of theirs to come up with their rating.
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer

mgpassport
Explorer
Explorer
Not long ago I ask about the Brave 27B and got no response.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know it had a corner bed. That would be a deal breaker for me.

garymunson
Explorer
Explorer
I just hate corner beds.....