cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Returning to cold weather

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
I live in NH and I want to continue to use our unit when it turns cold. We will have it winterized before winter but will want to head south a couple of times during the winter for 2 weeks each time. I will wait to add water until we get to warmer weather but what do we do when we return, I can drain the water tank and go to a dump station before returning but what else must I do to be safe. Can I just add rv anti freeze to the water tank and use the water pump to send it thru the lines and into the holing tanks?
4 REPLIES 4

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Rv ten has it. If you don't have the antifreeze inlet valve, get one. Then you can winterize in a few minutes at a cost of a $4 jug. Carry it with you and winterize on the way home.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
rvit:

We also head south for a few weeks each winter. Once winterized, we do not de-winterize until the Spring. We will use the RV toilet when necessary, but not often. I will dump the black tank before heading back to cold temps. and put RV antifreeze down it. We tape over the sinks to remind us not to put anything down them. We carry gallon jugs of water to use when necessary for cooking, coffee, etc. We do not fill the fresh water tank and we do not hook up to water. We use Purell to wash our hands and campground facilities for showers and other necessary cleaning. So, except for use of the toilet (not often), we remain essentially still winterized.

Bob

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Check by your water pump. Some have a siphon hose to suck the anti freeze right out of the bottle.
NO need to put anti freeze in FWT.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like putting the antifreeze in the fresh tanks, I can never seem to completely get the taste out.

I blow out the lines for a looong time (I hook it up to the compressor and just let it run while I'm doing other stuff), drain the hot water heater, drain the tanks, and pour antifreeze in the traps.

I also leave my heat on very low (40 degrees)