cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road hazard coverage

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason I thought that my Good Sam Extended Service plan would cover a flat tire if one should occur on a trip. Well, I checked with them and they said no it only covers engine and chassis problems, etc. So I checked with Progressive who has my policy. They said they would pay for the service call or towing but I would have to pay for the tire and labor. Is that kind of what other roadside assistance plans cover? What kind of coverage and cost do most people have?
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
9 REPLIES 9

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Sam covers your RV, car, truck, Wifes car, kids car----about everything you have that rolls. They do fix tires on the road or replace them but you pay for the new tire. I have had tire service and had the F-350 towed when it wouldn't start to a repair facility.......Cheap insurance for sure.

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I think Coach-Net also covers all your other vehicles. You may want to check this out. If it covers all your other vehicles, I think it is very reasonable.

Ray

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased our MH the dealer added a extended warranty to include tires and wheels. The reason they added this was our fiver (which we purchased from them) had that included. It covers everything in the motorhome for 7 years or 100,000 miles. If dealer does the repair then there is no deductible and if anyone else there is only a 50.00 deductible. I believe its thru Master Tech, Also have GS roadside assistance.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest for road hazard I strongly suggest Coach-Net. Very economical and very professional and won't stop communicating with you until you are on the hook and on the way to a repair facility that they have already made an appointment for you.
Like all road hazard providers, they have to deal with the wrecker service(s) that are available in your area. I've had two experiences and the tow service both times was outstanding.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought the Newmar we knew we would be going thru a wake up process because it sat in storage for 9 years, we bought new tires, replaced every filter in the coach, and engine plus we had the transmission checked and serviced.
that was quite a bill, we then decided to put that much money aside each year to maintain the coach, thus far we have spent very little of the maintenance fund. it grows each year as the coach ages.

It's a plan, it's been working so far.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Even with roadside assistance, flat tire service usually means putting on your spare. Since many large motorhomes do not have a spare, roadside assistance will find you a company to sell you a new tire and mount it. They don't repair tires on the road. Some extended warranty plans have optional tire coverage, which will help with the cost of a new tire, but again, you will probably have to put out cash first and apply for reimbursement.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Extended Service Plans are nothing more than "Extended Warranty" Plans. If you don'twant to deal with a flat tire, get a Roadside Assistance Plan.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Do not confuse roadside assistance plans with an extended warranty. The roadside plans typically cover a tow, roadside flat repair and will even bring you out a few gallons of fuel, but will not cover the cost of a tire/rim. Extended warranties are really insurance policies to address specific problems and you need to read each one to know exactly what is covered. Since I don't have one I don't know if tire replacement (usually called roadside hazard on autos) is covered in any extended warranties, but my gut feeling is that are not. I'm sure others with direct experience with policies will chime in.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO GS extended service plan is only a half plan with a ton of exemption so they deny or reduce the claim significantly. If a non covered part is determined to have caused the failure then any covered part replacement is comprised

Want tire and towing service then I suggest you get Coach Net ERS. It is better than GS ERS and We have had both and know the difference.

AikenRacer wrote:
For some reason I thought that my Good Sam Extended Service plan would cover a flat tire if one should occur on a trip. Well, I checked with them and they said no it only covers engine and chassis problems, etc. So I checked with Progressive who has my policy. They said they would pay for the service call or towing but I would have to pay for the tire and labor. Is that kind of what other roadside assistance plans cover? What kind of coverage and cost do most people have?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT