cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road steering

bazdad
Explorer
Explorer
I test drove a 03 40 ft Newmar Dutchstar with a Freightliner chassis yesterday and constantly had to correct the steering to make it go straight. It seamed that I was always over steering.Is this a problem with a Spartan chassis also and what year was that problem corrected
26 REPLIES 26

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"holstein13"....I know many of us looked at the OP's profile to see what he was currently driving. I know "Ivylog" looked best he noted that the OP was driving a GMC truck. When someone moves from a fifth wheel or TT to a motor home, the first thing they notice is that they have to steer constantly. There are hundreds of posts about this. The advice given by many was spot on. Either it's a suspension issue or the OP wasn't use to driving a motor home.

Your coach is 45' long, has a tag axle and Comfort Steer. It will steer like an SUV. It in no way steers like a 2003 Newmar, even if the 2003 had everything new under the front end.
You may be right. Perhaps he's just not used to it, but that should only be one part of our response to him. In virtually every post someone makes about handling and comfort, the usual first response is that this is a house on wheels, of course it won't handle comfortably. I think the original poster deserves more than this. BTW, my experience is not limited to my current coach. I know things can often be improved.

Yes, driving takes some getting used to, but there could also be (and in all likelihood should be) some mechanical issues on an '03 that can be fixed to make it a better ride. Let's give him all the knowledge we collectively have and not try and diagnose his problem on such little information -- especially if our advice comes off suggesting he's the problem.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"holstein13"....I know many of us looked at the OP's profile to see what he was currently driving. I know "Ivylog" looked because he noted that the OP was driving a GMC truck. When someone moves from a fifth wheel or TT to a motor home, the first thing they notice is that they have to steer constantly. There are hundreds of posts about this. The advice given by many was spot on. Either it's a suspension issue or the OP wasn't use to driving a motor home.

Your coach is 45' long, has a tag axle and Comfort Steer. It will steer like an SUV. It in no way steers like a 2003 Newmar, even if the 2003 had everything new under the front end.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Spartan chassis on my '03 Dutch Star makes this thing drive very well. It has a long wheelbase with IFS, and the only Spartan complaint I have is that they used the Reyco Granning IFS unit which is great EXCEPT they thought was cute to NOT install grease fittings in the ball joints (bonehead idea IMO). I tried to install grease fittings, but the steel is TOO hard (couldn't drill into it).
It does have very good directional stability.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a bit discouraged by the quality of the responses written above so I'll try my best to give you good information.

First, as someone has already mentioned, you are looking at an '03. Unless that coach was impeccably maintained, I'd be very surprised if you didn't have suspension issues that could be easily adjusted / fixed. How many miles were on the coach? How old were the tires?

All the posters telling you that you are wrong and don't know how to steer a coach are projecting and could be completely wrong. They may be right as well, but I wouldn't assume you are the problem. I would assume the coach is the problem.

Don't consider the road crown too much either. If the suspension is properly adjusted, it should take into account the road crown as well.

If you really like this coach and want to buy it, ask the seller if you can take it to a freightliner shop and have them look at it. There are dozens of adjustments and improvements they can make that will make a huge difference. Four corner alignment, fix loose connections, ride height, tire pressures, etc. All could be factors.

As far as Spartan vs. Freightliner is concerned, it really depends on the components on the chassis and not so much the frame manufacturer. Both bolt on other companies' suspensions to their frames. Spartan makes some very good chassis today in their higher end units. I can't speak for the lower end. I'd imagine that the upper end Freightliners are very good as well.

Finally, I can drive my coach with two fingers without wandering at all in most moderate wind conditions. Windy isn't much harder either. Unless you've driven a well adjusted coach, you just can't believe what's possible. Most folks have no frame of reference.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, mine was pulling to the right and finally had the wheel alignment done. It still pulled a bit so I had the tire shop switch the two front tires around and now drives straight as an arrow.
Another thought is that most roads are crowned in the center and there is a slight lean to the right.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"bazdad"......Right after I read your post, I immediately went to your profile to see what you're driving. I see many of the veterans on here did the same thing.

It could be worn suspension, tire inflation, some wind push, etc. Next test drive, look farther down the road and steer focusing about 100'-200' ahead. You'll find that it will slow down your over steering. Try to set the chair arms so your elbows rest on and you lightly control the wheel.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you buy it, you are talking about an 11 year old coach. Perhaps it is time to have a four wheel alignment done just to see if that is a problem.
Also an empty RV does not drive the same as a loaded RV. More weight from the load on the front tends to stabilize the steering.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get going straight forward on a long stretch of straight highway and let go of the wheel (hands hovering over the wheel) and the coach should go straight with a slight drift to the right if you are in the right lane and a bit to the left in the left lane. If it moves quickly in any direction then you likely need to have the coach aligned. Properly setup the coach will want to go straight.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You summed it up "It seamed that I was always over steering".. You probably were. Big difference in the wheel base of your GMC pick up and a motorhome. You have to give smaller inputs longer to take affect.

With practice you should be able to keep it between the lines by barely moving the steering wheel.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Had a dp on freightliner chassis and thought it drove pretty good. Got a Spartan chassis and thought it wondered around the road some. Had the front end aligned by a shop and individual who knew how to align a Spartan. Changed it to a good driving coach. No better and no worse, just drove like I expected it to.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
When I first started to drive mine that sucker loved to go towards the ditch on the right side of the road. I was afraid to blink! Now, a year and half later it feels like it drives like a limo! Maybe it's just you. Maybe not! Check the tires first, then try it again. Next would be an alignment shop. After that, I don't know. Good luck.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Bruce_Brown
It could be a lot of things;

First and foremost, if you're not used to driving a DP they do take a little getting used to. They don't drive like a car and/or truck. You guide them more than steer them.

If you are used to driving one, then look for proper alignment, tire pressures, tire condition, etc.

We've owned both Spartan and Freightliner, they're both pretty close.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910