cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadtrek CS owner

ABBACUS
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for RoadTrek CS owner, the new refrigerator (7CF) is listed as 12v and 110V. The CS model has propane but it looks like the Ref is power from the batteries and invertor when driving down the road.
I am a full-timer (2007) in a Class C 29FT and want to go to a smaller unit, but my wife has MS and needs a Refrigerator for Meds. I check with some of the dealer on the Etrek (too small for fulltime) and my understanding is add the engine generator is just a extra alternator to charge the batteries. The A/C is also power by the 5K invertor.

Thanks for any repleys Please no experts on why not to buy a Roadtrek
Bobby Johnson K5YPP Firefighter EMT
41 REPLIES 41

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I think someone is pulling our leg. I have never heard of an extended warranty that kicked in before the manufactures warranty was up.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
The Northstar Battery website says up to 80% discharge not full discharge and for up to 400 cycles. The dealer is misinformed and I suspect like every battery claim it is rather optimistic in that with every discharge a battery loses some maximum capacity. AGM batteries are still subject to outgassing and that is why most, including Roadtrek, put the batteries in vented boxes usually below the floor. What kind of controller is handling a mix and match of 12V and 24V battery setups? I'd ask for references and names of other B owners that got a similar setup from that dealer. Something is just not adding up here. An 8 year warranty on everything is also a questionable offer. Does it negate Mercedes Benz, Roadtrek and all the other product manufacturer's warranties? 8 years quite frankly is beyond reason. I hope you know what you are doing because it mystifies me. I am aware of the agony some DIYers are going through figuring this out, Roadtrek has gone through multiple corrections and I know a little about what Advanced RV is encountering and discovering. It is not as simple as just adding batteries and connecting wires.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

mrlandlord
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:

Let me see if I understand, your adding 524 lbs of battery behind the rear axel, and are going to add a Stowaway carrier, and your dealer told you this was a good way to go. If he told you that, I would then read my extended warranty very carefully. He's already given you misinformation about cycling the batteries.
It's your van I will butt out.

I guess I should clarify what the dealer said. He said that these batteries have been tested to handle complete draws with far less if any damage to the batteries compared to the completing battery makers. This was a requirement for this battery manufacturer to land a military contract for the battery to be installed in tanks. However, I am overbuilding this so that I can boondock for 5 days running the fridge and tv (sparingly) without needing shore power and only have 50% drain on the batteries.
BATTERIES
Watts: 60
Volts: 12
Amps: 5
Battery Capacity: 968
Discharge MAX: 50%
Hours of continuous use: 96.80
Days of continuous use: 4.03

SOLAR - 240W Generating 40amp/hours per day
Watts: 60
Volts: 12
Amps: 5
Battery Capacity: 161.33
Discharge MAX 100%
Hours of continuous use: 32.27
Days of continuous use 1.34

Total Hours: 129.07
Total Days: 5.38

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
mrlandlord wrote:
They are putting the batteries next to the inverter underneath the couch in the back of the RV. I am getting an external Stowaway2 storage box to compensate for the loss of storage due to the batteries. The batteries are 22"L x 13"H x 4"W. So that times 4 takes up a lot of space.

Let me see if I understand, your adding 524 lbs of battery behind the rear axel, and are going to add a Stowaway carrier, and your dealer told you this was a good way to go. If he told you that, I would then read my extended warranty very carefully. He's already given you misinformation about cycling the batteries.
It's your van I will butt out.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the chassis warranty is by Mercedes Benz.

So just what is Roadtrek warranting? Cabinetry?

At least you have your dealer to sort out who is responsible for what.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

mrlandlord
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
My question was aimed at, did Roadtrek authorize the retrofit, if not the warranty on the elec. system may be voided, on both the coach, and the chassis. A Rt dealer is there to sell, and do authorized warranty work, not to make unauthorized mods. Hopefully, Roadtrek did give their approval.

Well, the extended warranty that I am buying from the dealer covers everything (Cab and Chassis) for 8 years including these modifications that they are installing for me. So, I am never going to use the Roadtrek warranty. Besides, from what I read in the manual, all of this stuff is not covered anyway - this is a cut and paste from their manual on the CS Adventurous:

Appliance Warranty
The following are not warranted by Roadtrek Motorhomes, but are covered by individual warranties offered by their
respective manufacturers to which terms both Purchaser and Dealer must comply:
• air conditioner
• electrical inverter/charger
• electronic equipment (TV, DVD player, in-dash radio, etc.)
• furnace or other heating system
• hydronic heating system
• microwave oven
• refrigerator
• stove
• toilet
• water pump
• macerator
• water heater.
While still within the terms of the appliance warranty Purchaser and/or Dealer are required to deal directly with the nearest
service center for such manufactured components and abide by the warranty policy as allowed by such component
manufacturers.

Propane or Gasoline Generator
The generator is covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
1. The generator warranty may be voided if the manufacturer's maintenance and run requirements are not met.

AGM Battery Warranty
Batteries are warranted by the battery manufacturer for one year from the "In Service Date" of the Roadtrek.
1. Warranty is voided if AGM batteries are tampered with, topped off with distilled water or allowed to sulfate or freeze due to
lack of charge.

Warranty Intent
The intent of this extended warranty is to assure the new owner of a Roadtrek that it is worry free from manufacturer caused
defects for the first five (5) years of use. The first owners of this unit can feel comfortable that Roadtrek is behind them for
five (5) years.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
My question was aimed at, did Roadtrek authorize the retrofit, if not the warranty on the elec. system may be voided, on both the coach, and the chassis. A Rt dealer is there to sell, and do authorized warranty work, not to make unauthorized mods. Hopefully, Roadtrek did give their approval.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know enough about battery technology to make comments, but I do know you cannot drain a battery down as the dealer stated which raised my awareness and questioning antenna. That's what made me suspect to ask and Booster elaborated on it (the battery draining aspect.)
Davydd

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Hey David, I think I know why Davydd asked that question. I have one, did Roadtrek authorize the battery retrofit?

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
davidmbecker wrote:
I am getting an external Stowaway2 storage box to compensate for the loss of storage due to the batteries. The batteries are 22"L x 13"H x 4"W. So that times 4 takes up a lot of space.

That's a good looking box. I may get one of those.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

mrlandlord
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
Is this a dealer modification or a Roadtrek factory installation?

This is dealer installation at Johnson RV in Sandy, Oregon. They are a Roadtrek dealer. When all done though, I should have a system that has more amp hour capacity than the E-Trek at a fraction of the cost.

Under the hood - two - 220Amp-h 6V AGM batteries = 220 @ 12V
Under Couch - four - 187Amp-h 12V AGM batteries = 748 @ 12V

Total 12V Amp Hours = 220+ 748 = 968

The guy doing the installation says he can program it all so the charging is correct. Just to be sure, I have added an extended warranty.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
davidmbecker wrote:
They are putting the batteries next to the inverter underneath the couch in the back of the RV. I am getting an external Stowaway2 storage box to compensate for the loss of storage due to the batteries. The batteries are 22"L x 13"H x 4"W. So that times 4 takes up a lot of space.

Is this a dealer modification or a Roadtrek factory installation?
Davydd

booster
Explorer
Explorer
" they are tested to be drained down to nothing without risk of lowering the life of the battery." Did he say if they passed that test?

I think you will find a lot of disagreement with that statement.

The web site shows a life of 400 cycles when taken to 20% state of charge which is pretty typical. Life would almost certainly be much higher at lower discharges.

Sales folks throw out a lot things that are a bit of a stretch.

Don't take those very expensive batteries flat, or you will kill them early. The lower the discharge, the more cycles you will get. Most find 50% to be the best balance of life vs capacity.

mrlandlord
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer
Explorer
davidmbecker wrote:
Hello all, I am picking up my new CS this weekend. I have the same question about running the frig. while boondocking. I have the engine generator, 240W solar, and 3500 inverter. In addition to the two AGM batteries in the hood, I am adding 4 more of these: Northstar SMS-AGM400. My local Roadtrek dealer told me this was the way to go because of the low resistance, it will be quicker to charge using the solar. Also, they are tested to be drained down to nothing without risk of lowering the life of the battery. He said adding 4 of these and I will be fine to run the frig for 4-5 days no problem.

Where are they locating the four additional batteries?
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road