cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rodent Repellent

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone recommend a repellent that actually works for winter storage? I tried the sonic ones and didn't work for me. Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glue traps are not very effective in cold weather. I would use a different type (baitless).
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the oil but we also use fresh cab a product farmers put in the cabs of there $300k combines.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the PURE Peppermint oil, have used this method for 8 years and no mice or evidence of. And the coach smells great too. I buy my oil at GNC, about $20 for a small bottle that will last many seasons.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just as a post note. Mice don't care if you are living in the RV or not. One time we had a mouse climb up the electric cord and made it over to a slide, chewed through the rubber slide gasket and entered. He lasted 3 days before I got him with a trap under the sink. I now have a large inverted plate around the cord, similar to what they use on boats, over the 50A cord. So far no more trouble.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one big thing in your favor is the Mice doesn't see very well. They follow their nose and they love to run along side a solid wall getting from point A to to point B...

Close up all of the entry points first. Then you can deal with the other repellent ways available to you. I have a zip up bag full of cotton balls that have been soaked in PURE PEPPERMINT OIL. Has to be the pure stuff. You can order from AMAZON and I think our WEGMENS Store here locally is the only store that carries 'PURE' PEPPERMINT OIL... Keep in mind this only discourages Mice and loses it repellent power over time... Kills their smell process for a while. I use this to stuff in places where I see activity after I have stopped up all of the other entry sources I could find... I used alot of spray-in expanding foam products from LOWES to fill in small cracks etcs... Anywhere where the mice can get good smells going for them...

By the way Peppermint smells alot better than using the Moth Balls or Toilet Cakes we all use to use years past...

Just some of my comments for what ever it might be worth...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check into Pure Pep peppermint Oil. My bottle is made fro vitacost. Be sure it is pure. Saturate cotton balls and put them everywhere including under sinks, between floor and basement holes, closets. Check them monthly to be sure they are still saturated. Moth balls don't work. Also, be sure to remove anything they might eat. You could also put some snap traps along under sink areas and walls, just in case. We had good results. One year, I late putting it in and had visitors. Also, it is not poisonous.

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
I did a search in the stickys for info but didn't see those. Thanks

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
None of them really work. Best is to mouse proof your RV. Big box stores sell rodent proof spray foam and steel wool. Pack the steel wool into every opening yiu can find, then back it up with the spray foam. Inside use a bunch of sticky traps. Check and replace them often.