cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rollover accident I-81 South PA/MD border

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
This was today at about 2:30 on I -81 South. Appears to be a Phaeton with New York plates. Possible entrapment.
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site556/2014/0319/20140319__538182~s500~ph.jpg
59 REPLIES 59

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok its time to put this one to sleep... It has more than run its course..

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
justlou wrote:
bigdog wrote:
Oh and there's a little thing called sleep apnea,which is called the #1 cause of auto accidents.

Are you sure you didn't mean Narcolepsy? Also, the NHTSA lists the number 1 cause of auto accidents to be Distracted Driver.

Apnea or OSA is the lack of oxygen to the lungs causing you to fall asleep.

Narcolepsy pertains to a brain disorder also causing you to get sleepy even though you have had plenty of sleep.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
bigdog wrote:
Oh and there's a little thing called sleep apnea,which is called the #1 cause of auto accidents.

Are you sure you didn't mean Narcolepsy? Also, the NHTSA lists the number 1 cause of auto accidents to be Distracted Driver.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

C_SL
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
I remember several years ago a number of folks that bragged about how they could drive 800-1000 miles a day for several days at a time and have no problems. There was also a guy that bragged about how he could make the run from N.Y. to Florida in one long day with no problems pulling a 30-some foot fifth wheel. Lately you don't see it online that much because some folks have figgered out that anything you say online can be accessed by anybody. Hummm,you are driving along and nod off and hit someone after driving for 15 hours and the other persons insurance company googles your name and up comes a couple of postd about how long you drive at a stretch. Oppss,you're busted.
I have never figgered out just how some of them could brag about it and then complain about truck drivers. I drive a school bus and charter bus on occasion and have to have a CDL-B with an airbrake and student endorsements and as such can only drive for a certain amount of hours at a time. A truck driver with an A cdl has to run with a log book and that sucker had better be right on the money.

Very well said!!!

Curt
2005 Monaco, Signature 525 Hp Cummins

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I remember several years ago a number of folks that bragged about how they could drive 800-1000 miles a day for several days at a time and have no problems. There was also a guy that bragged about how he could make the run from N.Y. to Florida in one long day with no problems pulling a 30-some foot fifth wheel. Lately you don't see it online that much because some folks have figgered out that anything you say online can be accessed by anybody. Hummm,you are driving along and nod off and hit someone after driving for 15 hours and the other persons insurance company googles your name and up comes a couple of postd about how long you drive at a stretch. Oppss,you're busted.
I have never figgered out just how some of them could brag about it and then complain about truck drivers. I drive a school bus and charter bus on occasion and have to have a CDL-B with an airbrake and student endorsements and as such can only drive for a certain amount of hours at a time. A truck driver with an A cdl has to run with a log book and that sucker had better be right on the money.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Effy wrote:
Every thread on this forum eventually leads to someone telling you what MH to buy.

In this case you want to buy the kind that drives itself when you fall asleep. All the other banter is irrelevant.

Or extra training wheels on the sides?
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Every thread on this forum eventually leads to someone telling you what MH to buy.

In this case you want to buy the kind that drives itself when you fall asleep. All the other banter is irrelevant.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
2013 ACE 29.2

iamcanuck45
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that they are going to be OK. The MH can be replaced.

Dennis, thanks for the tip on the black water tank.:B
'92 Newmar Kountry Aire, 37'.
Andrรฉ and Elizabeth.
First mate: MacDuff (Welsh terrier)
Asst' first mate: Allie (wire-haired fox terrier) rescued

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Joatha wrote:
mtrumpet wrote:
Unfortunately, I for one, can't afford an upscaled Wanderlodge (one with slides and all), or a Foretravel.:(

Without any scientific statistics at my disposal, I'd be willing to guess that given the amount of RV's on the road and the miles traveled in them each year, the amount of "incidents" involving RV's is relatively small.

You could get a Wanderlodge M380 with a slide or 2 for around $100-110K and it would be 1-2 years newer than your Newmar.

Per NADA (not the greatest source but its easy), your Newmar is worth about $60-70K (plus or minus).

Is $100-110K out of the budget?

FWIW, it is for me. But, my wife and I didn't really feel like we needed or wanted slides so we got one without them.

Yea. Just a little out of reach for me. Anyway, I really like my Dutch Star.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
mtrumpet wrote:
Unfortunately, I for one, can't afford an upscaled Wanderlodge (one with slides and all), or a Foretravel.:(

Without any scientific statistics at my disposal, I'd be willing to guess that given the amount of RV's on the road and the miles traveled in them each year, the amount of "incidents" involving RV's is relatively small.

You could get a Wanderlodge M380 with a slide or 2 for around $100-110K and it would be 1-2 years newer than your Newmar.

Per NADA (not the greatest source but its easy), your Newmar is worth about $60-70K (plus or minus).

Is $100-110K out of the budget?

FWIW, it is for me. But, my wife and I didn't really feel like we needed or wanted slides so we got one without them.
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
kab449 wrote:
The local ABC affiliate posted this on Facebook. Immediately the discussion turned ugly. Many people commenting that drivers of "rigs" this large with air brakes should have CDL licenses. Lots of comments to change the license law as it pertains to RV's. Of course none of the experts knew exactly what caused the accident.

Going by the approximate GVWR, 35,320 lb, and the fact that it was licensed in NYS, the NYS driver should have held a NYS class D with RV endorsement for over 26,000 lbs. NYS does not require a air brake endorsment, and I do not see where it would have made any difference in this accident other that air brakes may have been to effective under these conditions. But then a Jake brake could have gotten them into the accident also. Pennsylvania has the very same requirement for a non-commercial Class A or B license above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR.

When I took my road test for my NYS "R" endorsement, the examiner as I recall, mentioned that the only other states that require the "R" endorsement were Connecticut and, I believe he said Kansas, while some others may have some special requirements, but not many.

I asked if I in fact could get the Air Brake Endorsement added to my License. NYS DMV told me that it was only required for CDL License holders. I told them I would have no problem with the fee and taking the test so I could at least get the endorsement on my license, but they wouldn't even bother allow me to take the test. (It's only a written test here.) I may go back and try again sometime. You know how the DMV can be - depending on the day and whom you speak too, the rules can sometime change 180 degrees! :W
Mark & Cherie

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer

Mark & Cherie

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
There's one. Any others that would fare well in a rollover?

The older Foretravel Unihomes built up till 1995. I don't know if the newer Foretravels handle a rollover as well as the older ones but believe that they do. Actually any coach built using a monocoque chassis construction technique which supports a structural load by using an object's exterior, as opposed to using the internal frame or truss which is then covered with a non-load-bearing skin or coachwork, is going to be stronger in a roll over. This technique is also known as stressed skin or unitary construction. There use to be a couple different companies that used this construction technique. But I don't know what happens when you throw a slide out section into the mix. Is semi-monocoque construction stronger than ladder frame or truss? I would think so, but am not a automotive engineer. There have been documented reports of a number of older Foretravel Uni-homes being rolled over, uprighted, and driven back to the factory for repairs. One rolled four times and was uprighted and driven back to the factory and used for parts. I believe that Country Coach also used the Monocouque construction method. The reason most manufacturers do not use this type of constuction is cost.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€