cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof coat before or after

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Roof on my motorhome is black because the OE coating has since worn away. I am going to be putting eternabond on all seams, vents, etc. is it ok to use the tape prior to re-coating roof or should I tape after? Just trying to do the restore in increments.
1997 Fleetwood Bounder
2008 Harley FLHTCUI anniversary edition
9 REPLIES 9

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
When I called the Liquid Roof people they told me to spray the Eterna-Bond with a contact glue and let the glue dry. When dry just apply the Liquid Roof over the old roof and tape. I will be doing my roof one gallon at a time over several months. I have Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy and cannot work that long a period of time with out damaging my body so I do a little bit at a time. The Liquid Roof staff said this was OK to do it this way. I just have to buy the product in small containers instead of the large 5 gallon pail.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is not all its made out to be on this site. Used it once and never again....only time I ever had a leak. A good butyl job and Dicor is better. Also be sure your membrane is still in good shape because coating a dryrotted membrane is just a waste of money. I would re membrane before ever coating. The coating is ONLY as good as the weakest membrane

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
My roof project went like this:

I had noticed water stains along where the wall met the ceiling in my bedroom. Found that I was getting seepage thru the rusted gutter screws on both sides near the rear.

In the spring I applied Eternabond RSW-4-50 RoofSeal around all penatrations, into both side gutters over the screws, & along front/back cap seams.
Eternabond sealed it up well & was bone dry all season.

In the Fall, all eternabond was scuffed-up & applied rubber glue to tape surface (enhances coating adhesion).
Then redid the entire roof with Liquid Rubber coating.
Covering all the tape & the original EPDM roof.

The 2nd pic was the day after it was finished.
After a few weeks it bonds with original epdm, the bubbles disappear, & it dries flat like a sheet of rubber.

Very happy with the results!
Should keep my old rig sealed-up for the rest of her life!
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Coating can many things, not just the two part liquid rubber. To the OP, what product will you be using as your top coat to help clear up the answers?
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to watch the videos at this website, then forget all about taping.

While taping might cover some current leaks, and get you by if you must wait a few weeks to coat the roof, you probably would just be better off to coat the whole roof sooner than later.

I do understand that you MUST cover any large leaks now, as you MUST also clean the roof before applying the coating.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

What I did was go up there with a bucket of water and a few towels. As they became saturated with dirt, they went over the side, and eventually cleaned. It helps to also have a 'dirty water bucket' that you can wring out the really dirty towel, and then pour on some clean water, and keep working at the most dirty sections.

It also helps to do the project a couple of years ago (like I should have done) when the roof was in much better shape, before it started leaking.

What I did was buy 1 gallon of the roof coating, and clean the seams with a towel. Apply that roof coating, to stop the current leaks. Then apply 5 gallons to the remaining sections of the roof. It all looks great now, and no more white streaks down the side of the RV! Should have done it years ago, just to avoid the white streaks on the sidewalls!

Good luck with your project!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I was hoping to hear as the taping is easier and can be done as time allows here and there. Once I get coating, I'll have to complete it all. Thanks.
1997 Fleetwood Bounder
2008 Harley FLHTCUI anniversary edition

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
I personally have never used any tape on the roof seams of all my coaches. On our last coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a rubber roof, it too had all the white worn or, deteriorated off so, I did a complete "Dicor" roof re-coat which, took all of one day. Then, I re-sealed any and all vents and seams with the Dicor self leveling sealant. It looked just like factory when I was done.

I like using the sealant because, if and when I ever had to remove it for any reason, I understand removing that tape is a pain in the butt. But, removing the sealant, is cake. I've done that.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on doing my roof soon. I'll clean the area and apply the Eternabonded before coating the roof.
I think it will stick to the roof material better than the coating.
At least that's my plan, unless someone can convince me there's a better way.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I would tape then coat. In case the coating does not stick well. Also coating over the tape will seal the tape edges so you will be double covered.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.