cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof leak tired of fighting it.

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1994 HR Imperial Dp the roof is all Aluminum and I have been fighting leaks now for over a year or so. I thought I fixed many times just to find out I did not. I have bought some of the best stuff I could get to re-seal all the seems on the roof I also put new gasket under the A/C units. I just pick it up from storage to find out water got in to the cabinets didn't see it until I drove off water came pouring out of the cabinets. so my ? is what can I expect to pay to have a rv place re-seal everything because I think that's my plan.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
9 REPLIES 9

Patrol_65
Explorer
Explorer
I used this on all of my seams and it worked great. It will even cover eternabond.
http://www.geocelusa.com/product/all-rv-aftermarket/pro-flex-rva-multi-purpose-brushable-repair-coat...
Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
This is all you need,... others are inferior IMO...

liquid roof

Will that go over some Eternabond also?
Jon

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Did you look at the connection point of the awning to the sidewall. Assuming you did a good job on the roof sealing, it may not be your roof that is the problem.

Having an aluminum roof is a good thing. I don't think you need to coat it, but to be safe I would and use a 100% silicone product like Gaco. You won't need that much and you can buy it cheaper elsewhere.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
kyle86 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your problem. There is a new type of roof available now called RV Armor. Yhey take everything off the roof and spray it about 3/16" thick with a special flexible but tough compound similar to a truck spray in bed liner. I have it on my 5th wheel and it is legit. Costs about $3000-$4000. They put all new seals in and new roof covers included. Lifetime warranty again'st leaks. It covers all the seams so no more caulking joints.

People have talked about this on here before and the prices I've seen mentioned were in the $10k and up range. If you found a place that did it for $3000 or $4000 sounds like you got a bargain.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find an RV service center that can do a Seal Tech blower test. About the same as doing a home blower door test to find air leaks in a house. Just have them test and mark all the leaks so you can repair and save the labor cost of resealing. Better yet if you can witness the test and see exactly where the problems are.

You Tube Video

Seal Tech Web Site

There are a few DIY rigs that owners built and wrote up in various personal blogs. Not as elegant but the results were the same.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

billsenick
Explorer
Explorer
Roof leaks can be a problem, go to Home Depot and buy 5 gallon pail of Kool Seal, since you have an aluminum roof this product is great. I coated the aluminum roof of my 44' horse trailer with living quarters and not only did it prevent leaks it reduce the temperature both in the living part and the horse area. Great product, and a lot more cost effective than the RV only products.
Bill Senick
2011 Newmar Essex 4524
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3740

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your problem. There is a new type of roof available now called RV Armor. Yhey take everything off the roof and spray it about 3/16" thick with a special flexible but tough compound similar to a truck spray in bed liner. I have it on my 5th wheel and it is legit. Costs about $3000-$4000. They put all new seals in and new roof covers included. Lifetime warranty again'st leaks. It covers all the seams so no more caulking joints.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
This is all you need,... others are inferior IMO...

liquid roof
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got an estimate of $1500 to completely reseal everything on the roof. I don't think they were going to remove the AC units, but they were going to remove and either reinstall or replace everything else. That wasn't a bad price I thought, but I ended up doing it myself. I replaced all the plastic vents and pulled out and reinstalled the skylight vents. One thing I found in doing that is it was obvious the original install job at the factory was a rush job and you could see why there were leaks.

I actually wouldn't have minded paying the $1500, but I knew I would pay a lot more attention to detail doing it all myself.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4